It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had no idea where to put this but: Rabid Trekkies..... something the world could do without.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I think it is fantastic that you get to work on something like this vkey08. Something I should have picked up on when I first read your opening post, is the fact that you received abuse for being a female, and that someone used that to rudely explain your alleged shortcomings with regard to certain projects....

Well, all I can say is, that gender bias is for the moronic amongst us. I am sure, from the passionate way you discuss your enthusiasm for the project, that you are fully capable, and that your gender is not a block to your abilities, or your level of skill. Indeed, the vile specimen that suggested otherwise, is probably just jealous because he has never been as close to the creative process behind anything Trek, as you have, and is barbing you to make himself feel better about that. Do not worry, the fellow will probably over dose on acne medication and die as a karmic response.

On the subject of Enterprise, I know that it was an original idea, from the mind of the creator so to speak, but that is one of the frustrating things about watching the show, knowing that the idea was good, but the execution was not. Also, no matter who is seen as responsible for the failings of the show to captivate in the same way as did other parts of the franchise, it is still utterly unacceptable. One does not crap on the Alamo, one does not dig up the Unknown Warrior and teabag him, and one does not.... NOT mess with the Trek. Either it is made perfectly, from day one, or not at all, because that is the tribute deserved by those who have come before, from the man whose mind gave birth to that universe, to every person who helped depict it on screen and in print. Put simply, if there was enough love going into it, then the result could never have been so empty.

Look at the ship for example (incidentally your example images are superb. I do not personally mind where the heck you put the lighting, the spaceframe is gorgeous). Leave aside the fine design job that has been done for the show... it is clean. Too clean. Space is the new wild west in the era we are dealing with, and although one cannot expect road dust all over the place, the interior should be crazy with pipes, cramped in every particular, no where near as accomplished and spectacular as later versions of the craft. It should resemble the conditions aboard an active submarine, more than it does the newer models, but none of that is represented. The crew should be comparatively barbarian, when stood next to their counterparts from the future, prepared to face punch anything that makes the mistake of questioning their parentage, and not behaving like the Starfleet officers that came after them, at all.

But it basically fails to deliver a grittier, less cultured, more dangerous period in human development, even though that is the main feature of the era that is supposed to be depicted. If the people writing the scripts, and designing the interiors, and informing the behavior of the crew had payed any attention to that, then I would have LOVED it, but they ignored all of that entirely. It makes me want to bash my head against a bulkhead. There, I did it. I finally made one of those fourth wall breaking nerd jokes that I hate. See what this subject does to me

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
One thing you can do is you can thank all the behind the scenes writters and design teams for me for all there hard work. You obviously put your heart and soul into the projects. Id thank you all in person but I live the otherside of the world.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by vkey08

I am a trekkie... I am not sure that I could be considered rabid, since I am certain that I do not have any hydrophobic diseases. However, I think that when there is a Haynes Manual for the starship you are designing, there will be people who have studied them as closely as some look at the mechanical diagrams for their own vehicles, so you can see how some people will become so retentive about it.

My personal opinion, looks aside, is that there is nothing good about the series called "Enterprise". I utterly, and completely HATE that show, with a passion. I hate Scott Bakula as a captain of ANY vessel in the Star Trek universe, let alone the God damned Enterprise. The crew members strike me as being incredibly two dimensional, at all times. The Vulcan element has been reduced to nerd totty, the theme tune is dross, and frankly, I would rather they had let the whole idea of a Star Trek tv series die with the end of Voyager, than try and prequelise the thing without paying proper respect to previously established cannon, and so on.

I tried, REALLY hard to like it, to watch it without this terrible itching sensation in my head, and it was only when I stopped trying to enjoy it, that I realised why I was finding it so hard. It was because, IT IS TERRIBLE! Nothing fits with anything else in the entire timeline of the universe into which they have tried to shoehorn the show, and for a franchise which has, and damned well should rely heavily on what has come before, that is utterly unacceptable in my eyes!

The films however, are a totally different story. They are bloody superb, and I enjoyed both of them immensely!

The 80s rock balland theme song alone killed it for a lot of people.

But if you continued to watch the series, it actually got very, very good.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm officially jealous of Vkey
Now THAT"s a cool job!

If I understood the OP right, you're involved in a scale model ship series? Would it by chance have anything to do with the giveaway going on between STO & startrek-starships.com? Not really important, just curiosity on my part.

And yeah, there's some eye-roll worthy die-hards out there. I'm a pretty dedicated Trekkie, but even I give wiggle room for merchandise, lol. I've seen people on the STO game's forum go absolutely insane over a ship redesign they don't like (or, more recently, over gameplay stuff like the Voth storyline) There are some people who just can't be pleased even if Gene himself showed up from the beyond to smack them silly. It's stupid, really, but whatever. Every fan group has them (as much as the rest of us wish they'd STHU)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Nope, I'm actually working on the CGI portion of stuff for Doug Drexler and his Enterprise Campaign
Since it's across many facets, I get to deal with all the actors and writers and staff that made the shows great
It's like a little girl dream come true

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I agree they toned it down too much, but if you've ever been on set for the NX01, it is VERY cramped compared to the open and spacious sets of the newer ships, there's lots of areas you could bang your head if you aren't' careful and the hallways are direct copies of their Seawolf Sub design guideline. I don't know why the actors werent' bashing around more than they were, it's really a pain to maneuver around those sets.. Where as say the Enterprise E was an open spacious set that you knew you weren't going to bash anything..

There's alot of talk as to finishing out Enterprise now and making it that gritty, war torn universe that was referenced (the Romulan Wars) I know Scott was PO'ed at how restrained he had to portray Archer, and was happy to be able to do episodes where the lines got blurred between ethics and results.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

vkey08
[

There's alot of talk as to finishing out Enterprise now and making it that gritty, war torn universe that was referenced (the Romulan Wars) I know Scott was PO'ed at how restrained he had to portray Archer, and was happy to be able to do episodes where the lines got blurred between ethics and results.

Please do. Thats how it should have gone from the start. Yeah I feel sorry fot Bakula he did seem abit artificaly rained in at times especialy in season 2. I think the writters were trying to make him a Picard 2.0 :/ He did shine in 3&4 though so it was the writing not the actor.
edit on 22-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

vkey08
reply to post by Nyiah

Nope, I'm actually working on the CGI portion of stuff for Doug Drexler and his Enterprise Campaign
Since it's across many facets, I get to deal with all the actors and writers and staff that made the shows great

*eyeballs immediately widen to saucer-section size*

WUTREALLY? I heard about a push to do a 5th season for ENT somehow early last year, but I assumed since it seemed to fade away that it was shrugged off like Dorn's series idea has been. You meaning to tell me there's the early beginnings to try to make this happen, actually happening? *squeaks & has nerdgasm*

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Nyiah

vkey08
reply to post by Nyiah

*eyeballs immediately widen to saucer-section size*

WUTREALLY? I heard about a push to do a 5th season for ENT somehow early last year, but I assumed since it seemed to fade away that it was shrugged off like Dorn's series idea has been. You meaning to tell me there's the early beginnings to try to make this happen, actually happening? *squeaks & has nerdgasm*

*nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnod* CBS is currently doing cost studies to see how to go about wrapping up the series properly.. it's a very very slow process but there's a lot of people behind the push now and it's gaining some traction, the fizzle happened last year when I had my surgery and couldn't push out as much material for a while.. the pretty pictures help the cause

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join