It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had no idea where to put this but: Rabid Trekkies..... something the world could do without.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've been a Trek fan for many many years, and it wasn't until about 9 months ago that I got the chance to work with the franchise in a meaningful way. I gotta say, working with the people tha tmake the show what it is, is a real and rare treat.. Getting to joke online with people like Scott MacDonald and Tucker Smallwood makes my day, being able to bounce design ideas off of Rick and John and Doug, and have people like Dan Curry and the like look at them and say "hey, that's great and we could have used that" makes me all warn and fuzzy inside but there's a dark side to it all and I found it out the day I became a professional VFX artist, Rabid Hardcore Trekkies..

Mind you when something goes WAY off the beaten path i raise an eyebrow and I can probably quote half the lines form most episodes across the series' but to nitpick EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL.. Wow..

Example.. the NX Refit. Doug Drexler some time back designed for the series a refit version of the NX Class, it would have been in the next season of Enterprise had it continued and he gave it to me about 5 months ago to refine and render out. ONe of the things Doug let me do was name one of them after myself, so I did (thanks to the ever talented Michael Okuda for the ship's nomenclature) so anyhow I did. I use it as my testbed for ideas and it was the first one to get all the shiny new gun placements as well as the new surfacing, and a host of other changes.. This was a REAL comment I got:

"OMG.. it's ruined now... it's totally ruined, it's a a a piece of garbage because in Episode 4-22 they clearly state that the windows near the bridge are not to ever be illuminated because of the differential in the surrounding corridors, are you dumb? OH wait you're a girl, that explains it all"

Come again? Ok I spelt Dolim wrong (I had spelt it Dolum and Scott MacDonald quickly fixed my spelling in a way only he could, as Dolim) I admit that sometimes I get rooms mixed up where they belong on the ships as I'm working on 3 at a time and it gets a little confusing (The NX, the Relativity and the Enterprise J) but to sit there and quote an obscure reference from a panel you can only see on the blu ray DVD while in freeze frame mode, is just going overboard..

Am I just stupid for thinking that these people need to get lives? It's a TV show, it's supposed to be fun and entertaining, not consume one's life.. I dunno, had to get it off my chest to my other friends here and see what everyone thought. Oh and enjoy the NX refit

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Trekkie nuts are as bad as Star Wars nuts. Han shot first dammit! Most of them need to move out of their moms basements.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

They've taken "Live the dream" a little far. Funny, when you posted this I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise on NetFlix.

For myself Star Trek embodies the hope of a future that may someday be. I hope so (minus the Dominion.) When you're stuck in 21st century Earth many of us wish we could be in such a future described as the Federation.

Well done!

edit on 196pm2323pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Hoosierdaddy71
Trekkie nuts are as bad as Star Wars nuts. Han shot first dammit! Most of them need to move out of their moms basements.

HAHAHAHA

good one Cool Guy.

Never heard that before.

Sorry.

But yeah, I agree with the OP sometimes people become a bit too rabid over such trivial details.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I exchanged my wedding vows in Klingon...

Too Far?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Maybe the show producers could write back to them, telling them they're banned from Star Fleet Academy now, in perpetuity.

For Cause. Conduct Unbecoming and All That.

And that rendering or whatever you call it, is gorgeous. I can't begin to imagine the work that goes into something like that.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Put it in perspective Starwars fans are bigger loons than trekkies everyone knows that

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Maybe the show producers could write back to them, telling them they're banned from Star Fleet Academy now, in perpetuity.

When you said that my mind went completely still... I could feel the upcoming silence from the trekkie masses.

To be honest I almost gulped.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

the first artist that did the primary NX portion about 40 or so hours, and me after I got it another 120 or so to fix her up..
Lotta work went into that one ship, some take less time, some more, it's all relative..

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

vkey08

the first artist that did the primary NX portion about 40 or so hours, and me after I got it another 120 or so to fix her up..
Lotta work went into that one ship, some take less time, some more, it's all relative..

The aft thruster is all wrong. Just saying…

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I am a trekkie... I am not sure that I could be considered rabid, since I am certain that I do not have any hydrophobic diseases. However, I think that when there is a Haynes Manual for the starship you are designing, there will be people who have studied them as closely as some look at the mechanical diagrams for their own vehicles, so you can see how some people will become so retentive about it.

My personal opinion, looks aside, is that there is nothing good about the series called "Enterprise". I utterly, and completely HATE that show, with a passion. I hate Scott Bakula as a captain of ANY vessel in the Star Trek universe, let alone the God damned Enterprise. The crew members strike me as being incredibly two dimensional, at all times. The Vulcan element has been reduced to nerd totty, the theme tune is dross, and frankly, I would rather they had let the whole idea of a Star Trek tv series die with the end of Voyager, than try and prequelise the thing without paying proper respect to previously established cannon, and so on.

I tried, REALLY hard to like it, to watch it without this terrible itching sensation in my head, and it was only when I stopped trying to enjoy it, that I realised why I was finding it so hard. It was because, IT IS TERRIBLE! Nothing fits with anything else in the entire timeline of the universe into which they have tried to shoehorn the show, and for a franchise which has, and damned well should rely heavily on what has come before, that is utterly unacceptable in my eyes!

The films however, are a totally different story. They are bloody superb, and I enjoyed both of them immensely!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

vkey08
I've been a Trek fan for many many years, and it wasn't until about 9 months ago that I got the chance to work with the franchise in a meaningful way. I gotta say, working with the people tha tmake the show what it is, is a real and rare treat.. Getting to joke online with people like Scott MacDonald and Tucker Smallwood makes my day, being able to bounce design ideas off of Rick and John and Doug, and have people like Dan Curry and the like look at them and say "hey, that's great and we could have used that" makes me all warn and fuzzy inside but there's a dark side to it all and I found it out the day I became a professional VFX artist, Rabid Hardcore Trekkies..

Mind you when something goes WAY off the beaten path i raise an eyebrow and I can probably quote half the lines form most episodes across the series' but to nitpick EVERY SINGLE LITTLE DETAIL.. Wow..

Example.. the NX Refit. Doug Drexler some time back designed for the series a refit version of the NX Class, it would have been in the next season of Enterprise had it continued and he gave it to me about 5 months ago to refine and render out. ONe of the things Doug let me do was name one of them after myself, so I did (thanks to the ever talented Michael Okuda for the ship's nomenclature) so anyhow I did. I use it as my testbed for ideas and it was the first one to get all the shiny new gun placements as well as the new surfacing, and a host of other changes.. This was a REAL comment I got:

"OMG.. it's ruined now... it's totally ruined, it's a a a piece of garbage because in Episode 4-22 they clearly state that the windows near the bridge are not to ever be illuminated because of the differential in the surrounding corridors, are you dumb? OH wait you're a girl, that explains it all"

Come again? Ok I spelt Dolim wrong (I had spelt it Dolum and Scott MacDonald quickly fixed my spelling in a way only he could, as Dolim) I admit that sometimes I get rooms mixed up where they belong on the ships as I'm working on 3 at a time and it gets a little confusing (The NX, the Relativity and the Enterprise J) but to sit there and quote an obscure reference from a panel you can only see on the blu ray DVD while in freeze frame mode, is just going overboard..

Am I just stupid for thinking that these people need to get lives? It's a TV show, it's supposed to be fun and entertaining, not consume one's life.. I dunno, had to get it off my chest to my other friends here and see what everyone thought. Oh and enjoy the NX refit

I feel your pain.

Its those sorts that killed Enterprise. I admitt the first couple of series sucked abit, but the 4th series was some of the best trek. But all the nitpicking just helped kill it. Like the refit idea by the way. Its shame we never go to see it.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I dunno I think its really shone in the 4th series.

Its a shame B&B wrecked it in the first 3 series so when they passed it to Manny Coto it had lost so many viewrs and got such a bad rep

edit on 22-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Got to admit I love star trek myself, but yes there are people whom walk around with a cornish pasty on there head and call people "Ptak" or "Taag" and lets be fair it is that very nature that has kept that show running so long, so don't hate them this comment was probably an act of jealousy on the part of a treky whom think's he should have your job, by the way they are going to hunt me down now as I think voyager with it's female captain was far better than any previous star trek and only pipped by the new series of prequels, just ignore it and send him a polystyrene amorphous blob with a torch inside it so it glow's, when he cant' find his phaser he will likely hide behind the couch while his friend says "It's life bill but not as I know it", Beside Star gate had better ships (now I have really riled them up HA)..

I really want to see your ship.

edit on 22-1-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

LABTECH767
[ by the way they are going to hunt me down now as I thing voyager with it's female captain was far better than any previous star trek

Ewwww.

Voyager to me was the series of missed oppotunitys. Tried to much to be a TNG clone.

DS9 FTW! It tried to be its own series.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Now this is a Treky,
www.bbc.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
trekmovie.com...
www.youtube.com...

Personally I call my computer ORAC anyone know why.
I have a few cold leds in there.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

crazyewok

Its a shame B&B wrecked it in the first 3 series so when they passed it to Manny Coto it had lost so many viewrs and got such a bad rep

Rick Berman I don't know very well so I can't say one way or the other, however Brannon I do know and while he didn't have a good clue of what he was doing hais heart was in the right place and he really didn't deserve to be roasted as badly as he was. Manny is also a great guy and I'd love to see him come back for one more run at ENT..

and a correction, Manny was responsible for a good portion of S3 as well as 4..

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by vkey08

I am a trekkie... I am not sure that I could be considered rabid, since I am certain that I do not have any hydrophobic diseases. However, I think that when there is a Haynes Manual for the starship you are designing, there will be people who have studied them as closely as some look at the mechanical diagrams for their own vehicles, so you can see how some people will become so retentive about it.

My personal opinion, looks aside, is that there is nothing good about the series called "Enterprise". I utterly, and completely HATE that show, with a passion. I hate Scott Bakula as a captain of ANY vessel in the Star Trek universe, let alone the God damned Enterprise. The crew members strike me as being incredibly two dimensional, at all times. The Vulcan element has been reduced to nerd totty, the theme tune is dross, and frankly, I would rather they had let the whole idea of a Star Trek tv series die with the end of Voyager, than try and prequelise the thing without paying proper respect to previously established cannon, and so on.

I tried, REALLY hard to like it, to watch it without this terrible itching sensation in my head, and it was only when I stopped trying to enjoy it, that I realised why I was finding it so hard. It was because, IT IS TERRIBLE! Nothing fits with anything else in the entire timeline of the universe into which they have tried to shoehorn the show, and for a franchise which has, and damned well should rely heavily on what has come before, that is utterly unacceptable in my eyes!

The films however, are a totally different story. They are bloody superb, and I enjoyed both of them immensely!

Funny thing about the Haynes manuals, they are really the designer's playgrounds, there's nothing "official" about them other than they are licensed. I'm currently working on a CGI representation of a vessel from one of the series so that the designer can do a Haynes for it (as he did the Klingon Bird of Prey one) and it's funny there's a lot on the ship already that was never seen on screen (give ya a hint, the Aeroshuttle is much cooler than the Delta Flyer)

As for Enterprise, it was thought of many many years ago by Roddenberry, and a lot of the base for the First season was supposed to be the fifth movie (which ended up being the Final Frontier) Scott was hand picked by Gene's family to play Archer and LOT of work went into updating the materials to appeal to a 21st century crowd, one of the things we were all told recently was, you have to imagine if they had our type of CG tech back in the 60's what the ship would have looked like. Well honestly, you would have seen some of the things we saw, and the way stuff was laid out. You can't look at it so much as a prequel so much as a telling of the story that was supposed to be.. Yes it was campy at times, yes there were many blunders a,ong the way, but they tied in, in a way that was almost impossible.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

vkey08

crazyewok

Rick Berman I don't know very well so I can't say one way or the other, however Brannon I do know and while he didn't have a good clue of what he was doing hais heart was in the right place and he really didn't deserve to be roasted as badly as he was. Manny is also a great guy and I'd love to see him come back for one more run at ENT..

and a correction, Manny was responsible for a good portion of S3 as well as 4..

Im sure Brannon loved trek as much as any of us. In fact he made some great episodes. But I think by ENT he just needed a rest. He only human and Im sure he had good intentions. Yeah series 3 was a odd one, had some good points and it had its lows, I just want a fan of the Xindi story Arc, it was well written I give it that but it just seemed out of place. It was far better that series 1 and 2 though. Still 4 was just amazing if ENT had started on that note Im sure we would have got a series 7. I just didnt dig the time war stuff, it just seemed such a weird direction to go in. There was so much more to explore. As for the ships models I did like some of the ENT stuff, infact better than the voyager stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join