It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Life Without Pain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hello fellow ATS members. I would like to present you with a documentary...

Do you think a pain-free life sounds great? Think again.
Congenital insensitivity to pain (CIP), also known as congenital analgesia, is one or more rare conditions in which a person cannot feel (and has never felt) physical pain. The conditions described here are separate from the HSAN group of disorders, which have more specific signs and etiology.

A LIFE WITHOUT PAIN is an exploration into the day-to-day lives of three children who literally feel no pain. Three-year-old Gabby from Minnesota, 7-year-old Miriam from Norway and 10-year-old Jamilah from Germany have a genetic defect so rare that it is shared by just one hundred people in the world.

Their parents must watch their every move, but even their vigilance hasn’t shielded the girls from many serious, life-altering injuries.

The film explores the daily lives of three children with congenital intesitivity to pain, a rare genetic disorder shared by just a hundred people in the world.

The courage of the girls and their families in spite of their great difficulties is truly uplifting.

HM
edit on 1/30/2014 by semperfortis because: corrected all caps

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. A life without nerves sending appropriate signals to my brain would not be desirable. A life without emotional pain .... well I think pain puts the pleasure into perspective and makes it better.

Some of the rarer diseases, like the one you posted, are fascinating and show you how fortunate people with good (or normal) health are in comparison.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

There is a part of me that at the age of 50, I wish I could have this affliction. I've been in pain everyday now for a year.

But then again, if I didn't feel pain, I may be paralyzed right now instead of just moving a bit more slowly. This will be on my morning watch list for sure.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

In people born with this disorder, it seems to be absolutely horrific.

I am quite curious how humans would function if this ailment were to occur in adulthood.

Would lack of pain - diminished sensations? Personally I would be so grossed out by accidentally jabbing out my eyeballs...I probably would wear swimming goggles as well.

I think the best way to relay how much this would really suck, is simply to ask someone to imagine how often they jerk away in pain. A hot cup of tea, finger getting pinched...whatever. Just imagine never jerking away before a severe injury was caused.

top topics

join