It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Memory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Do you believe in Genetic/Ancestral memory? Do you believe that the memories of our ancestors are handed down onto us and in us so to say? Why or why not? If you do, state your reasoning/evidence for thinking so.

From an article:

"Try as you might, you're going to reach a certain age where you'll notice yourself starting to not only look like your father or mother--but show strong tendencies of doing activities they enjoyed or didn't enjoy. Yes, keep trying...you might just be able to fight off that apparent DNA that makes you seemingly follow along the same path as your immediate (and maybe distant) relatives. After all, everybody wants to be their own person rather than a carbon copy of one of their older members of the family. Maybe some people might succeed at that with some added effort. Most other people, though, will just do those things out of sheer habit when they aren't consciously aware of what they're doing. And then you can sit and puzzle how and why it happens that way."

edit on 21-1-2014 by TheIceQueen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes, I believe in Genetic memory. When you finally grow up you can learn to interact with this knowledge if you want to. Some use meditation to get to it at an early age. Sex hormones seem to block our ability to read this, yet it is evident that we can interact with this memory unknowingly at this time in our teens to twenties. This knowledge is directly connected to gene expression but ignoring cravings makes it messed up. Once you figure out how to interact with it, your health is good.

My father and mother still live within me along with all my ancestors. Nobody before me totally died.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

edit on 21-1-2014 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

justreleased
reply to post by TheIceQueen

I'm what you would say on the fence about this topic.

Physical appearance is obvious. As far as interests and hobbies I feel most of those are acquired through your experience / environment. Of course many people copy their parents behaviours but I think it's a learned trait more than genetic.

Learned trait? Let's face it, what we do is in our DNA.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

justreleased

I'm what you would say on the fence about this topic.

Physical appearance is obvious. As far as interests and hobbies I feel most of those are acquired through your experience / environment. Of course many people copy their parents behaviours but I think it's a learned trait more than genetic.

Another link to 2 Chinese ladies who ended up even marrying a man with the same name.
Identical Twins Reunited...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

edit on 21-1-2014 by justreleased because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Hi TheIceQueen,
A long time ago (before computers, internet, ATS)...I read an article about genetic memory. The writer had a theory that 'previous life memories' were actually memories of our ancestors' lives...and not proof of reincarnation.
I've always kept that thought in mind, and to me it makes more sense...logically (lol).
Personally I have no memory of any previous life, and often wondered if that meant it was my first time here...like a new soul (if reincarnation is true). If we don't keep coming back, then perhaps the previous lives that some people 'remember' is actually handed down from the relatives that came before us?
Things to ponder. Interesting topic, S&F!
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Just like that Cat's in the Cradle song, I used to believe I'd never turn out like my dad. He just sighed, and told me to wait till I was older.

True to his word, if you were to look at the photos of me now, I look just like him when he was my age. Found that I had and have his mentality on life. Even scarier was that many of my female friends were just like what I've heard my mom was like when she was my age.

While all that may be true, I'm still by far my own person - there's things that I do my dad wouldn't dream of doing (he's getting to the point with computers where it's quickly becoming a banned topic; I'm majoring in programming), and there's things that he's done that I wouldn't do (such as join the army), because it goes against morals and beliefs that I have.

I'm also a lot more to the spiritual side than both my parents; a choice that I alone made.

So, in short - I think genetics do play a role in your life, but that doesn't mean you'll become your parents; it just means you might be similar to them.

-fossilera

new topics

top topics

join