It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny swimming bio-bots, A New reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Tiny swimming bio-bots boldly go where no bot has swum before

The alien world of aquatic micro-organisms just got new residents: synthetic self-propelled swimming bio-bots.

A team of engineers has developed a class of tiny bio-hybrid machines that swim like sperm, the first synthetic structures that can traverse the viscous fluids of biological environments on their own. Led by Taher Saif, the University of Illinois Gutgsell Professor of mechanical science and engineering, the team published its work in the journal Nature Communications.

“Micro-organisms have a whole world that we only glimpse through the microscope,” Saif said. “This is the first time that an engineered system has reached this underworld.”

The bio-bots are modeled after single-celled creatures with long tails called flagella – for example, sperm. The researchers begin by creating the body of the bio-bot from a flexible polymer. Then they culture heart cells near the junction of the head and the tail. The cells self-align and synchronize to beat together, sending a wave down the tail that propels the bio-bot forward.

This self-organization is a remarkable emergent phenomenon, Saif said, and how the cells communicate with each other on the flexible polymer tail is yet to be fully understood. But the cells must beat together, in the right direction, for the tail to move.

“It’s the minimal amount of engineering – just a head and a wire,” Saif said. “Then the cells come in, interact with the structure, and make it functional.”

Nano medical bots are almost here..

At first I didn't think this was too impressive but the more I read it the more it seemed a bit creepy. These things communicate with themselves and work as a team. Somehow I got the impression from what Saif is saying is that they are not entirely sure how what they created works.

Seemed kinda like putting the cart before the horse. In any case stay tuned...

edit on 21-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Awesome,
a new way to take people out
once it is perfected and programmed, maybe it will be used to target
heart current or brain synapse to cause a shut down..

sorry, glass is half empty today

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It looks like (at first read) like they created Purkinge fibres.

I wonder if this could help in repairing damaged spinal cords?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Ill say it. Looks like bio mechanical sperm to me.

Terminator babies anyone?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The brave new world just got a little braver. This is a very interesting advancement. With lights and cameras attached this invention can do what was only imagined in old movies which starred shrinking people riding into the human body with shrunken ships. Medicine and biology of the future just took a step towards it.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I saw those (the concept likeness) on The X Files back in the 1990's. They were put into Agent Mulder's boss' bloodstream to control him, by the evil forces of the smoking man.
I hope They create nanites to eat up fat,.....

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Initially this will be used as a targeted drug delivery system, as the heart cells used to propel the device have a limited life span.

However, if the life span of the cells used could be extended then there really are limitless possibilities here.

One of the main ones being general maintenance of our vascular systems.

Good news for us all!

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I once read a speculative article on Nano bots repairing the heart wall and other organs from the inside.
Let's hope it comes to pass.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Man is capable of creating some amazing things, but no matter how much good it can do, someone will come along and find a way to use it for destruction.

Maybe someone, someday will discover a cure for evil!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

nugget1
Man is capable of creating some amazing things, but no matter how much good it can do, someone will come along and find a way to use it for destruction.

Maybe someone, someday will discover a cure for evil!

a star for you
evil and corruption are tearing the fabric of earth apart.. maybe good
someday will prevail
edit on 21-1-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: no

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Okay, I know people are going to flame away, but I just have to>>>

Morgellon's, anyone?

Yea, these engineers came up with it just now.. supposedly, but what about a black op being funded a decade ago coming up with the same tech?

Is it really that sci-fi to imagine? Was back then, now it's a reality.
edit on 21-1-2014 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

evil and corruption are tearing the fabric of earth apart.. maybe good someday will prevail

Are you sure you are not the problem?

Most of us in this thread are fascinated by this new invention and excited about its possibilities for doing good, especially in the field of medicine.

Your mind, on the other hand, leapt straight to its (imagined) potential for murder.

Just imagine if you'd been around when people were discovering how to make fire, or inventing the wheel.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

you don't have to apologize for something we forget about every day. something that lurks and lurks and lurks and never stops. human nature!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

These things are about 1/500mm long. That's about 500-1000 times smaller than the typical 'morgellons fibre'. They are invisible to the naked eye.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

i don't think it's anything to do with morgellans but that's a great connection. i'm of the opinion that morgellans is the direct result of something we as humans have just started to consider and have realized just how bad we may have screwed up. i think morgellans is the direct result of something that was left behind by a spacecraft that has visited here and left again. now we do the best we can at not bringing something to someplace else on one of our spacecraft, and screwing that place up.
edit on 1212014 by tencap77 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Awesome. it looks really great. Thanks for the post.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

That's a good point, though if I recall one of the ideas surrounding the morgellons phenomena was the notion of these fibers originating from nano-materials, and self-organizing.

Anyways, striking image to some of the pictures I recall, though you're correct, the scale is off by about 3 orders of magnitude. I still wonder what was going on with morgellons. Some of the case reports were rather bizarre.

Thanks again for the clarification.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

This, I truly find interesting.
Why?
Well about the last 35+ years, I've read of these in science magazines & science fiction magazines & even fiction & non-fiction novels including shorts...novel shorts.
The 1st one I recall, just a bit of the story, not the magazine unfortunately, were that robots unseen by human eyes had been injected to some knowingly, most not, to the people of Atlantis & was the reason for the destruction of Atlantis & Atlanteans. That this, " Fact. ' Had been told by a few Atlanteans scattered across the globe, that they hadn't, ' escaped ' their fates by escaping Atlantis but rather, were, ' away ' on explorations at the time it was, ' destroyed by enemies on par with Atlantean's advance civilization. ' The article/story, your preference, stated that these, 'Atlanteans,' ALL looked between ages 25-28 years of age, perfect weights, health, similar slanted eyes & mainly blue, grey or green eyes, coloured hair or the Atlanteans blond & the survivors of the ' evil destructors,' black haired. & claiming to be thousands of years old.

A bunch of similar stories throughout the years & movies & toons, till about 15 years ago .

A group of scientists in a National Geographic article claiming the 1st one I read, mentioned above was true AND/ALSO that these survivors gave credence to the original Vampires of all things, as after so many years, something, at any given point, like an accident that should kill, made these, ' Micro Bots, ' repair damaged organs, tissue, etc. The drawback being that they also began to eat the peoples organs unless the people kept them nourished with fresh blood with the same basic human DNA Cellular structures so as not to confuse these micro bots & these people forever 25-28, better, stronger, faster, etc.

Then a few years ago, a movie where people, mainly military sorts, were injected with nano- bots , Supposedly unknowingly, then finding the flaw; They had time limits controlled by unseen humans or machines & the world was dying or not repopulating as the nano-bots caused sterility only in women but who or what could the males successfully mate with seemed to become the main point after that & no, don't recall the name of it as stopped paying attention but someone on here will know it I'm sure.

Point is, I've always kept up with this topic & do not fear the potential bad.
Others though? Well look at all the all the negative 99.99% of media stories, movies, cartoons,etc & + that to non-scientific minded vs scientific minded vs good education vs bad right up to vs lifestyles vs religion, etc.
It is no wonder why people immediately begin mentally seeing the potential bad instead of mentally seeing all the much potentially
good. And I believe that is exactly what the so called elite or whomever wants us to believe. The 99.99 bs media over the few real facts.

Would I be in the 1st line up to receive such an injection? Probably not. The 2nd line up, most likely, 3rd line up, no.
How about you? Anyone?

Excellent Topic & looking forward to reading more replies

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This really could be awesome, if even being able to perform a single thing like consuming and somehow getting rid of plaque in arteries and even the heart valves, it could extend lives and really inspire. This is assuming that it would be allowed. Sometimes really great things come along, but are very quickly disappeared and quietly forgotten, or are insanely expensive.

Sorry, half full, half empty today!

new topics

top topics

join