It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Altoid Tin Survival Kits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Altoid Tin Survival Kits

I would never carry one

But this forum is about YOU.. Not Me

And some of you may be interested in or even carry them

So let's put out collective thinking caps on and lets list what "WE" would put in one

My list would go something like this

1. Small knife
2. Ferro Rod
3. H2O Purification Tabs
4. As much fishing line as possible
5. Safety Pins (Instead of fishing hooks)
6. Petroleum Jelly Saturated Cotton Balls
7. Couple of Ranger Bands (Pieces of inner tubes)
8. Some money

I am sure this is WAY incomplete but as I don't have one of them handy, I'm not sure what else I could fit in.. Pretty sure what I listed would but probably way more..

Thoughts my fellow survivalists?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't carry one in my pocket, but would be great in a car.

Bobby pins for picking "your" locks.

Waterproof matches

Tylenol / Asprin

Wrap the fishing line around the outside and hold with the Ranger bands.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I would add:
9. small reliable flashlight - led lenser or fenix
10. small compass - silva
11. condom - multiple use
12. copy of your ID - you never know

and about 1. Small knife - i would definitely choose something like victorinox or wenger or
anything with mini saw on it

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
i would say put in some real fishing hooks, they are tiny, a safty pin is too obvious for small fish and big ones with stretching the coil and escape.

otherwise i think thats a sensible kit.

Oh maybe a folded sheet of plastic and or duct tape (you can cut a roll in half and squish it into the box)

though i think your container is too small, you need to make it at least the size of a lunch box for first aid items and such
edit on 21-1-2014 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
An Altoids tin, that's a small container.

I'm going to put forth that you will already be carrying certain items you can scratch off the list including, the knife, any kind of fire starter, your ID, money and flashlight.

A tiny first aid kit of some kind would be about all I can see having in such a small container.

However, it is a worthy thought exercise and I'll be reading the responses.

ETA: Perhaps we can consider something a bit larger like those cigarette boxes for home rolled, or any of those small water proof containers used on boats or canoes. Has to be small enough to carry on your person (say in a pocket) in most situations.

edit on 21-1-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last lines

edit on 21-1-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Edited edit

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I wouldnt carry money, in a true armageddon scenario would be worthless IMO, people will cherish things over value notes.

All of the mentioned above are useful.
what about thread, powder, morphine.
And things really valuable to other people, lets say cigarretes or coc aine.

edit on 21-1-2014 by payta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

a roll of dental floss!! Almost impossible to break,great for fishing,making rope,whatever..and 100 yards on the lil spool

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Great idea! A zippo too would come in handy in uncounted numbers of situations

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

This will sound odd, but thanks for the reminder this morning.
My father in law handed me one several years ago before he passed away.
To the best of my knowledge, it contains waterproof matches, some fish hooks, some band aids, sugar and salt packets, fishing line, duct tape, and some other items that I don't remember. I have never actually looked inside, he made me promise to leave it alone until I needed it, which has been easy since he duct taped it shut too. It has lived in my car for almost 10 years, and it makes me smile each time it see it. Maybe I will take a look at it today with my boys, just to see what he slipped in there. It's definitely more nostalgia than anything since my real gear is in the car too.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I would make sure it had a Bic lighter. 300+ strikes and I don't have to dink around with difficult fire making techniques....

Although I am sure most of you would think a magnesium fire starter is the end all be all. However, I only need to survive the apocalypse for the first year on my own. After that we will all be dead or hanging out with a Road Warrior type tribe that feasts upon the bone marrow of children......

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I'd prefer a bic for all your reasons,and more waterproof than a zippo.Plus,until the flint wears out,you'll still make a spark

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I've looked at these "survival" kits and they don't seem realistic. If you were out in the woods, you should have a fairly decent backpack with supplies. The tins are so small, not sure you could carry enough to survive longer than overnight...depending on the situation.

I did make a fire-starting kit out of one with:

Waterproof matches
Flint/steel
small Bic
Dryer lint
Aluminum foil
Char cloth

I also used a small "Snus" tin and loaded it with 12 Vaseline/rubbing alcohol cotton balls. I used electrical tape to seal this tin and used rubber bands to hold it to the Altoids tin. It's compact enough to keep in my possibles bag just in case I need to start a fire while I'm out. Also, my wife loves these cotton balls since she can use them in the fireplace.

If anyone thinks they can survive with one of these longer than overnight, well, try it. Head out into the woods with one for the weekend and see how it performs. They're neat and I'm sure I would have had fun with one as a kid but anyone headed out into the woods would obviously have pack/supplies and shouldn't need to rely on these "survival" kits.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have a few packed

Fishing, suture kit, sealed matches with flint etc.

Awesome thread topic.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As some have said, the package is VERY limiting... But that does make us think and plan more than usual and that is the purpose of this thread

I'll start one late on using a bigger package

GREAT replies so far

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I went over your list as well as the others listed. If a small knife can be fit then a decent swiss army knife should be considered since it's a multi-tool, alternatively a sterile razorblade might be nice. Also I like the idea of water filtration tablets but I don't know how big they are. I might suggest folding a couple of coffee filters into the the tin...not perfect, but better filtration then nothing.

Also if it were me, I'd seal the tin in wax. Then moisture really isn't an issue.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Small container, to be sure.

Mine would be:

Small folding knife
Mini-lighter
A few strike anywhere matches
Alcohol prep pad
Couple of flexible bandages (the medicated ones)
Small compass
Mini LED light

That's really about all I'd be able to fit I think....

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok, I admit it - I geeked out over this when I stumbled on it - I have one but I put it in aLoksak instead, easier to carry, just toss it in a bag and yes I know that means I don't have the tin for water - managed to get everything that Lofty Wiseman listed in the survival manual, minus the fishing kit... Huzzuh

ETA: I should qualify this by stating that I only made one because I had a bunch of extra stuff and it seemed like a good way to piece them together, definately would not want to be in a position of relying solely on it!

edit on 22-1-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea. I am currently putting together a "get home" bag to keep in my car and I plan on putting one of these together to keep in the front pocket. It's more of a last case scenario to have if for what ever reason I may have to ditch the bag and can only grab this to throw in my pocket.

I have not decided on what all I want in there but it will revolve around fire, water, food, navigation and minor medical. Once its packed I will wrap it with as much 550 paracord as will fit in one wrapping then secure it all with some ranger bands.

My main bag will obviously have what I need for 72hrs and this is just redundancy, but I feel its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Great topic and enjoying the input. Floss is a great idea. Didn't think about that initially. So much more cordage in a small pack than fooling with fishing line.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SgtHamsandwich

don't know if this was mentioned,

A small size but long chainsaw chain, put some type of clip or wire on both ends as not to cut your hands , it beats carrying a big saw to cut wood.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Not a bad idea, you're definitely onto something. A wire saw may be a better option in this particular type of set up. They are smaller, lighter, safer, and more adept to cutting bigger pieces of wood than say a small fixed blade saw. Only down side I can see is durability with a small wire saw. Something to ponder on.

Here is a picture of a small one:

Thanks for the idea.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join