It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Children for Oil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Children are paying the cost of chaos in Iraq. The rate of acute malnutrition in Iraqi children has more than doubled since the US invaded Iraq says the United Nations, aid agencies and Iraq's interim government. In comparing children's health under US dominion with Saddam's regime, Iraqis "talk now about how the days of Saddam were very nice."

www.msnbc.msn.com
"Acute malnutrition among young children in Iraq has nearly doubled since the United States led an invasion of the country 20 months ago, according to surveys by the United Nations, aid agencies and the interim Iraqi government.

After the rate of acute malnutrition among children younger than 5 steadily declined to 4 percent two years ago, it shot up to 7.7 percent this year, according to a study conducted by Iraq's Health Ministry in cooperation with Norway's Institute for Applied International Studies and the U.N. Development Program. The new figure translates to roughly 400,000 Iraqi children suffering from "wasting," a condition characterized by chronic diarrhea and dangerous deficiencies of protein."

"Believe me, we thought a magic thing would happen" with the fall of Hussein and the start of the U.S.-led occupation, said an administrator at Baghdad's Central Teaching Hospital for Pediatrics. "So we're surprised that nothing has been done. And people talk now about how the days of Saddam were very nice," the official said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

War brings chaos. It's expected. People lose their jobs, and can't afford food. Water supplies become contaminated, but there's no electricity or kerosene to boil the water. So it is that poverty breeds malnutrition and disease. And the children pay. It always happens.

According to Baghdad residents, Hussein's government restored electricity and kerosene supplies in two months after the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Apparently they're wondering why the US government has not managed to do the same in 20 months.

Some people say the US invaded Iraq to appropriate that nation's oil. Others say the reason was to spread US-style democracy.

Whatever the real reason for the US invasion of Iraq, it appears that poor Iraqi children receive precisely the same treatment as poor US children. Apparently, the Bush administration considers oil to be more important than poor children no matter what their country of origin. It is a consistent policy.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

"Acute malnutrition among young children in Iraq has nearly doubled since the United States led an invasion of the country 20 months ago, according to surveys by the United Nations, aid agencies and the interim Iraqi government.

According to Baghdad residents, Hussein's government restored electricity and kerosene supplies in two months after the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Apparently they're wondering why the US government has not managed to do the same in 20 months.

Whatever the real reason for the US invasion of Iraq, it appears that poor Iraqi children receive precisely the same treatment as poor US children. Apparently, the Bush administration considers oil to be more important than poor children no matter what their country of origin. It is a consistent policy.

Big difference. Saddam didn't have terrorists tearing down and destroying every electrical plant that he built, or dynamiting the oilwells or setting off car bombs. And remember what Saddam did with the funds from the Oil for Food program.

The statement about American children is just so much bullcrap, that it doesn't merit a reponse.

There is always a tendency to look back and long for the good old days. That's just human nature. Problem is, the good old days weren't always so good.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So where do we take the children to get our tank filled up anyway?

[edit on 21-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Whao Sadam is gone US "liberated" Iraq and some still defend the actions of Mr. Bush and claim that Sadam did worst, and now terrorist are to blame for thes children problems.

But the truth is that how can we take care of the problems of the inocent in Iraq when our own children in this country are suffering increases in the poverty leves.

Oh well Iraqis have to pay now the prices of liberation.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nice title, did you make it up yourself or was it on the site, pretty good post

You might watch Fahrenheit 9/11 That you'll know how we get our tank-kids.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We can start to help our own children in the poverty lines by going after their parents and making them accountable. But you don't want to do that, now do you, marg? Maybe you have a vested interest in not doing so, I don't know. It sure seems that way.

And if you think that rape rooms, cutting off hands, pulling tongues out of mouths was better than what is happening now, then I feel sorry for you.

Yes, terrorists are to blame. They are the ones who are blowing up the oil fields. There is no justification for that, although I know that you somehow think it is Ok because of Bush. Sure, destroy the children's foods, kill them with car bombs, because BUSH IS BAD!

Saddam himself stole more than $21 billion destined to feed the children of Iraq. But I know that you will find a way to blame that on Bush, too.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

We can start to help our own children in the poverty lines by going after their parents and making them accountable.

...Go after them for what? An $8.2 TRILLION dollar national debt and a USD that's in the toilet, right? ...and for not having a job because all the jobs:

a) got outsourced to other countries, OR
b) went to slave labor in privately owned American prisons.

Most poor people I know work their butts off trying to make ends meet AND be good parents.

To say that poverty in this world is matter of "personal choice" is disrespectful, callous and really truly unbelievably ignorant.

sp edit

[edit on 21-11-2004 by soficrow]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The problem is that I worked with children for 7 years I worked with migrant workers children and with American born children, I know first hand what poverty looks like on children, their families and what it does for our state base programs.

I was asked to take over 1.5 million dollar a year to start a program for migrant workers and their families here in the south, a job that would have required me to travel all over the state setting places, the program was to be federal funded, I had to decline due to an emergency surgery and later I found out that the program was stop because the funds were directed to something else after 9/11.

Sorry, I know first hand what is going on in our states programs. And is going to get worst.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The actual title of the article is: Children pay cost of Iraq's chaos.

The article does not mention oil at all, except for this:

International aid efforts and the U.N. oil-for-food program helped reduce the ruinous impact of sanctions, and the rate of acute malnutrition among the youngest Iraqis gradually dropped from a peak of 11 percent in 1996 to 4 percent in 2002.

I, for one, would prefer to see ATSNN adhere to some modicum of journalistic integrity. Deliberate distortions like this make ATSNN look biased and untrustworthy.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

We can start to help our own children in the poverty lines by going after their parents and making them accountable.

Go after them for what exactly....

I agree with soficrow about what he said, I wonder what is it you want to go after them for???

Most poor people like myself are good parents, try and teach thier kids the good things in life while hiding the bull# that actually is reality...

I wonder did you even think when you posted that???

I also wonder exactly what is is we should go after these poor people for...

and yes I agree with marg, There is no reason for us to be over there, no reason we should be there now, so why dont you open your damn eyes and get a clue cause appearently you arent seem something...

remember we went to war with saddam because he DIDNT have WMD and he DIDNT aid the terrorists of 9/11 that was actually by the #cham 9/11 commision board...

anyway dude get a clue... you are really lame in what you said, then again if it was up to you all people who make under 100,000 a yr should be either
A) shot on site
or
B) thrown in jail.. interesting.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The Bush administration and most Bushies talk about caring for children when they raise the abortion issue, but when you get right down to it they don't give a #@!* about living children.

If they really cared about children instead of giving war profiteering contracts to Haliburton and Bechtel they would have been hiring Iraqis to drive truck and other employment so they could afford to feed and raise their own children and help get the Iraqi economy going. This would also raise more support among Iraqis for political stability and elections.

Newsflash!
Democracy is not only a political system, it is rooted in healthy dispersed economic activity. It happens when the broad base of the population feels economically empowered and engaged.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It takes a long time to restore financial health to a country that's been devastated by war. You understand, I'm referring to Saddam's 30 year reign of terror, repression and looting of his own country.

Take a look at the history books and see how long it took Europe to get back on its feet after WW II. Of course, Europe had the advantage of a disciplined, educated workforce that wasn't trying to sabotage the Marshall Plan. The Iraqi people should take heed.

Support the Coalition reconstruction efforts, fight the vandals and terrorists, have patience, and Iraq will be a much better place in 5 years.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It does take time, AlexofSkye, even with intelligent people in charge.

It takes longer if you have imbeciles running it,

It also may never happen [think of all the badly governed places in the world] if the people in charge have absolutely no clue about the real lives of the real people on the ground. [Does Vietnam ring any bells?]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

To say that poverty in this world is matter of "personal choice" is disrespectful, callous and really truly unbelievably ignorant.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by soficrow]

Read my response, and then read it again, and then for good measure, try to comprehend what you read.

Where did I say that poverty is a matter of presonal choice?

Where? I challenge you to show me. Or are you just trying to a) misquote me or b) put words in my mouth?

So don't make up a story just to see yourself in print, soficrow. Your lying makes you look very ignorant.

I expect a response unless you are too cowardly to admit that you were wrong.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Ok, so how are these children going to get food? That's what I want to know, why not use our oil profits to drop or hand out more food in the country.

Why is this being allowed to happen period?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Go after them for what exactly....

I wonder did you even think when you posted that???

I also wonder exactly what is is we should go after these poor people for...

and yes I agree with marg, There is no reason for us to be over there, no reason we should be there now, so why dont you open your damn eyes and get a clue cause appearently you arent seem something...[/qu

anyway dude get a clue... you are really lame in what you said, then again if it was up to you all people who make under 100,000 a yr should be either
A) shot on site
or
B) thrown in jail.. interesting.

Get a clue yourself. You have no idea what you are talking about, nor what I was talking about. My response to marg was the continuation of discussions that we've had in other threads, which is none of your goddam business.

As far as you agreeing with marg,

Whao Sadam is gone US "liberated" Iraq and some still defend the actions of Mr. Bush and claim that Sadam did worst, and now terrorist are to blame for thes children problems.

obviously you don't believe Saddam was guilty of any of the things I pointed out. And, yes it is the terrorists that are blowing up the oil fields and killing innocent civilians deliberately with car bombs. But to a sympathizer like you, that is OK. Apologize all you want for them, they are still scum.

And I never said it was right for us to be over there. So, like soficrow, you need to get a clue in your Thickheaded reasoning and stop misquoting me.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I love the auto-edit feature here, which changed my words to "shucky-darn". Not my personal choice, but probably less inflammatory.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ok, once again. Is something going to be done about this problem? We need to get food and adequate supplies to these children. There have been too many deaths from this war already and we don't need more senseless deaths from children.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Jamuhn

Order needs to be restored first. When a woman that worked to help the Iraqis for over 30 years is executed, and the act videotaped, it can be difficult to help the children.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Sadam did many things to his people, but US liberation is doing about the same to the inocent of this war right now.

People used to be afraid of Sadam, now they are afraid of the US, terrorist and insurgents.

So, has the situation and the way of living of the people in Iraq is better now?

I think not and anybody that think they are better now is in denial.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join