It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Try Scratching This DVD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
TKD electronics giant have been developing a new novel polymer coating that promises to make scratched CD history. This will also help with formatting DVD with up to ten times the storage space.
The group behind Blu-ray Disc witch has been plagued by scratching easily has indorsed the product. Blu-ray drives are to be used on new Dell and Hewiett-Packard machines starting in 2005.

news.com.com
Try Scratching This DVD
TKD bills the new polymer coating as armor plated with UV protection currently priced at $5.99 each a far cry from $1.00 price for standard DVD-Rs but prices should fall as the product becomes more mainstream.

In a test conducted by CNET News.com, a DVD treated with TDK's coating survived a determined attack with a screwdriver and a Sharpie permanent marker with no effect on playability--a remarkable feat considering how easily standard DVDs can be damaged, for example, by children

DVD-Rs coated with TDK's novel polymer, billed as armor plated with UV protection, currently cost $5.99 each. That's significantly more than the average $1 price for most standard DVD-Rs. But prices could fall quickly once manufacturing volumes kick up. Less than three years ago, uncoated DVD-R discs sold for around $6 each.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tired of spending $20 plus dollars for a CD only to turn it into a place mate for you coffee, okay that’s a bit extreme but I think you know what I mean.
I know this will be good for me I have CD drink coasters, Frisbees and furniture leg levelers you name I use them for every thing but my computer or DVD player, I think what they need is to invent an indestructible CD/DVD case and half my problems would be solved.

[edit on 21/11/2004 by Sauron]

[edit on 11-22-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

new topics

join