It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85 richest people as wealthy as half of the world's population

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

NavyDoc

But that's the effect you are going for if we are talking salary caps or huge increases in the income tax or death taxes or any other redistribution scheme. Don't you see history replaying itself with this 1% nonsense? Look up the Kulak class and what happened to them. Like "the 1%" they were made scapegoats and a focus of class envy and rage to bolster the Bolshevik cause. After they were murdered en mass and all of their property confiscated, the Russian peasant was still just as bad off as he was before except he had a new boss and nothing had changed.

Im not talking about wage caps. No point have I said that.

what Im saying is that there should be a stop to those at the top who break the laws or commit dishonest practices and the limiting of the political power of big business to manipulate the law to there won benefit.

Everyone rich, poor or in the middle should be held to the EXACT same legal and ethical standards. If you have got a billion gazillion dollors by honest business and playing within the law then great I have no issue. If you have go your money by doing stuff that would get me jailed, then make them pay for there OWN messes.

I should not have to pay the price for someone elses screw up at the top.

edit on 20-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by crazyewok

What's fair?

You bring up a good point with salaries that professionals make.

But I'm betting that there are many that would think that even that is too much for one person to earn. . .

And there lies that "slippery slope"!

If I make 100,000/year that hardly puts me at the top, but for many, they would like to see me punished for earning even that much.

This is what your problem is. Fairness. You absolutely insist on telling people what they mean when they say fair and don't listen to what we actually say. Earn? That's a good place to start. Let's define earn because the middle class definition is different than the ultra wealthy definition.

There is nothing wrong with a person earning billions of dollars, if they actually earned it. But do they? A small business, and by small I don't mean what the GOP does. I mean a mom and pop pizza joint, a tailor shop... things along those lines, they don't get to pay foreign labor 50 cents an hour, they have to pay local competitive wages, they have to buy materials at market value and have to repay loans at market interest. They don't have the ability to go to their local politician and buy favor that encourages that politician to be extra hard on the pizza place two blocks away. Now if they're good they earn customers, they earn a place in the community as the go to place and they make a decent profit. That's earning. That's fair. Say they earn enough to be considered the 1%... still earned, still fair.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Meanwhile, putting things into perspective. If you make $30,000 a year, you're in the top 1 percent of the richest people on the planet.

www.globalrichlist.com...

It would take a worker in Zimbabwe 25 Years of hard labor to make what you make in a single year sitting at your desk. Or 187 years if you worked in Ghana! You could pay the monthly salaries of 134 Doctors in Pakistan.....

edit on 20-1-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Did you even read what the dude wrote?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

So we topple the evil 85 with their trillions.

It stops there?

If history is any indicator, it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Kali74

It stops there?

Topple? Define topple so I know whether you are being absurd or not.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Kali74

beezzer
reply to post by Kali74

It stops there?

We redistribute their wealth.

We storm the castle.

We just take care of those evil 85 and leave the rest alone?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

beezzer

Kali74

beezzer
reply to post by Kali74

It stops there?

We redistribute their wealth.

We storm the castle.

We just take care of those evil 85 and leave the rest alone?

Okay you went with absurd. That wouldn't fix anything. It might be temporary relief from what they stole to begin with but it wouldn't be redistributed fairly anyway, so it would be temporary relief for some people. It certainly wouldn't stop it from happening again. There doesn't need to be a blood debt, though they certainly spilled enough of it to get to the top. There doesn't need to be wealth caps or growth limits. Only a denial of exploitation and a government that is held accountable to ensure it through simplified but effective laws and taxes and a populace that doesn't get caught with absurd notions and watches what their government does.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Has there ever been a time in written history where half (or more) of the worlds wealth NOT been in the hands of a select few?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is something I have always had a problem understanding.
Why do people worry so much over what other people have?
It sounds like many on here are just envious of those with wealth.
Are there scumbags with lots of money?
Yes, but there are also a lot of scum bags who are not wealthy.
We could ALL help make this world a better place. You don't need loads of money to do that.

Quad

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We the People.

It doesn't matter what has always been. It matters what we learn from what has always been and do better.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

We the People.

It doesn't matter what has always been. It matters what we learn from what has always been and do better.

I agree that we can always do better. But sometimes, solutions offered are not real solutions at all.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

A better question is why aren't you concerned about what they are doing with their wealth? Because what they do with their wealth affects us all. I don't care about being that rich, I care about being able to survive. Billions of peoples ability to survive is at the economic desires of but a few.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

beezzer

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

We the People.

I agree that we can always do better. But sometimes, solutions offered are not real solutions at all.

It doesn't help when you insist the dialogue is different from reality.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by NavyDoc

Did you even read what the dude wrote?

Which dude?

We have had talk of wealth redistribution and executions so far in this thread.
edit on 20-1-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Kali74

beezzer

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

We the People.

I've actually tried to put things in perspective!

I'm not sitting wondering how to punish those that have obtained great wealth.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

crazyewok

NavyDoc

But that's the effect you are going for if we are talking salary caps or huge increases in the income tax or death taxes or any other redistribution scheme. Don't you see history replaying itself with this 1% nonsense? Look up the Kulak class and what happened to them. Like "the 1%" they were made scapegoats and a focus of class envy and rage to bolster the Bolshevik cause. After they were murdered en mass and all of their property confiscated, the Russian peasant was still just as bad off as he was before except he had a new boss and nothing had changed.

Im not talking about wage caps. No point have I said that.

what Im saying is that there should be a stop to those at the top who break the laws or commit dishonest practices and the limiting of the political power of big business to manipulate the law to there won benefit.

Everyone rich, poor or in the middle should be held to the EXACT same legal and ethical standards. If you have got a billion gazillion dollors by honest business and playing within the law then great I have no issue. If you have go your money by doing stuff that would get me jailed, then make them pay for there OWN messes.

I should not have to pay the price for someone elses screw up at the top.

Yes you did. You talked about what wages you think a physician should be limited to.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
and a firing squad would only use 85 bullets to redistribute the wealth evenly around the globe

That wealth would never trickle down, you are forgetting their families, and lawyers, the lawyers making sure they got at least half of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

beezzer

Kali74

beezzer

Kali74
reply to post by beezzer

We the People.

I've actually tried to put things in perspective!

I'm not sitting wondering how to punish those that have obtained great wealth.

No. And you just did it again. Do not have arguments with others through me. If you want to argue about forced wealth redistribution than argue with someone who advocates it. Don't tell me what I'm saying. Read what I say and respond accordingly. Otherwise I don't have the time to waste on your nonsense.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

NavyDoc

Yes you did. You talked about what wages you think a physician should be limited to.

Erm no I DIDNT.

Someone said they were overpaid and I pointed out at least in the UK they are not and earn a good but pretty fair wage.

At no point did I say what they should be limited to or caped. Just pointed out what they earn on adverage. I would have no problem if its goes up, as long as they provide a quality service.

To say otherwise is a missquotation and twisting of what I say and that is a T&C offense.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join