It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85 richest people as wealthy as half of the world's population

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jdoors

Dropout rate probably has a lot to do with the sorry state of our public schools. The elite know the schools suck, instead of investing more in public schools, to make sure everyone can have a quality education, they send their kids to expensive private schools.

Who is it that is selling the weapons to both sides of every conflict? Sure, government ineptness has something to contribute to the problems these days, just who has influence over these governments? Are they listening to the people, or are they listening to those who hold all the money?
edit on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 00:37:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Ive Always sort of had this wish... That i could own a corperation.
Build housing for the workers too live in cheaply..
Have private water purification. and private underground produce.
Prepetual motion magnetic engines for power.. Extremely cheap for the tennants of the corperation..
The manufacturing of a hemp methynol engine..for the corperation.
wich has a higher output than ethanol does... Its a good fuel!
Hemp Paper,Hemp toilet paper,Hemp clothing that lasts 3 times as long..
Not just because im a weed head okay..... Hemp has increadable potential for the economy it has somany uses.
All of this at a reduced price for the workers in an effort too create a self suffiecient healthy community within a corperation.... Too set this an example...
I would open programs... Start a joint bank account of everyone in the corperation too buy land... and build a massive underground complex too survive in should there be a disaster.

Instead of extorting my workers... and outsourcing jobs i would rather focus on rapid expansion via collective effort of the whole company.... offer workers the means and the ends too a secure life, Money made in my company would stay in and expand the company due too the comunity.
People would like the notion of a proactive group taking things too such an extent and endorse the company products simply because of the idealism behind it... i mean would u rather support another corperation bent on extorting you.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I know i didnt even say what sort of product my company would make lol...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
But somehow.. i doubt it would be much of a problem once it got started..
given the kind of geniuses that i would beg too work at a place where the inventions and innovations arent captialized on by privateers and designed too break but built too last and can be a piece of work that people were proud too have built.
Funded by a collective commune and its wealth by vote.
The profits taken in.. increase the quality of life not only for the enginier who made a product but also the investors.. And the entire company and comunity that will make even adventagous future projects possible...
This would allow the members of the company big or small acess to private jets... maybe a private island that the company bought... Insentives

I understand in order for this too work.... Outsourcing work would have too be reduced as much as possible. what i mean by that is... Not paying for a company too mill the hemp.. mostly everything would have too be made on company property..
but i really dont think that kind of enterprising would be difficult conidering the allure too an invester... by putting into the company your securing somany aspects of your life.

Workers would not own cash stock in the company acounts but rather gold bullion as a standard too ensure the security of wealth.

I know i dont know much about buisness.... Most of my life i made money off of the radar in the seedy parts of the ghetto lol. but i believe this is a sound idea.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

beezzer
I think this is all a conspiracy to divide us even further. I think this is a deliberate attempt and encouraging hated towards success. I think the White House is behind it.

What are you talking about?
Typical paranoid "the government are out to get me" mentality.
You do realise that the UK charity OXFAM came out with this, right?
It's obvious you hate charity, helping the the poor and the poor themselves, but please don't twist this and make it about Obama, because it's really not.

The only ones pulling strings are you and those defending the 85 and criticising the poor.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I refuse to participate in this "meme" anymore.

I will spend more time looking for ways to unite, looking for more ways to bridge the gaps instead of widening them.

So continue with the hate. Gather your pitchforks and torches. Storm the castle!

I'm not going to play this anymore.

You have fully participated in the maintenance of several memes - and worked them as far as they would go from your point of view by repeating the same things over and over. You don't seem to want to participate in a real back and forth even when people are actively trying to engage you in a meme-free discussion

I've seen you from time to time in many threads ask some honest questions. They may be dressed up as jokes or buried in a camouflage of outrageous insult - but the questioning is always there. I respect a questioning mind

So - rather than stay and examine the problem now because things are not so easily summed up and dispensed with - you're going to just take your toys and go home?

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest

You can try and deflect with the classic - they're out to divide and conquer meme :-)

But in the end - like some other topics - this one is about a situation that affects everyone - almost

It's not simple - and the problem is as old as we humans are. But the fact remains - there are billions of people on this planet who are alive and trying to survive. You didn't create this situation - neither did I

It all comes down to - what kind of world do we want to live in? It might not be attainable, this dream world - but does that mean we don't try? If we can't fix all of it, we might still improve much of it

It's a little like looking collectively in the mirror and recognizing that we screwed up - and that we need to try harder

ooops....there's that bad, bad word

Naughty Spira

:-)

edit on 1/23/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

stargatetravels

85 People are as wealthy as 3.5 BILLION!!!

Why do people care? The only reason I can see as to why people take offense at this is because they're unsatisfied with their own lives. I know a family that makes 35k a year, sends their 3 kids to a charter school and takes public transportation once or twice a week. They don't struggle to get by because they like the life they have. Liking what you have means not competing with others to get more, and then getting pissed when you don't get it. Liking what you have means you have more free time to actually enjoy what you have. Liking what you have means not caring too much what others do have, making what you have work for you and letting what you have define you as a person. If you can't do that for yourself, don't blame the billionaires. That just doesn't make sense.

If someone can only do that, acquire peace of mind, by amassing wealth, that's a trait that makes me and that family I'm talking about feel sorry for them. Why would I get upset with someone who obviously has personal issues that make them feel that only money, the biggest intangible known to man, can make them happy? Why would I get upset with some teenager who represents the 8th generation of a family who, over time, has amassed hundreds of billions of dollars? That kid didn't choose his family. I feel sorry for him because he was born into that cage that dictates you can't stray too far from it. A prisoner of his family's device. Why would I get upset at the new money billionaires who look down their nose at people? They don't get it. Their money has blinded them from the common sense needed to make rational and emphatic decisions that, in turn, make them decent human beings.

People need to stop comparing their own lives to the lives of people who seemingly have more. What good can possibly come of that? As the Doobie Brothers would say..........It Keeps You Running.

I have enough for me and mine and I work hard to ensure that "mine" has enough to start off with so she doesn't have to struggle like I did. That's what it's all about people.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

DeepImpactX

Why do people care?

I have enough for me and mine and I work hard to ensure that "mine" has enough to start off with so she doesn't have to struggle like I did. That's what it's all about people.

Exactly, and that attitude IS the problem.
That is the worst way to think and the whole rugged individualism, me and mine are ok so screw everyone else mentality is poison.

Pepple care because they have empathy for their fellow humans.
That is why, isolating yourself or your feelings is insane.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Meme, shmeem.. forget all that garbage these people need to be horse whipped!

And ALL their wealth CONFISCATED AND GIVEN TO THE POOR! NOW!

Just joking!

Seriously, these folks should be nicely asked to contribute to a massive world-wide shifting of wealth, energy and attention to solving extreme poverty. Eliminating the destructive wars that humans do and turn away from war industries of death and destruction to life affirming activities like environmental, agricultural, and energy sciences and industries. That way the war industries can slowly be transferred to these type industries.

It could be done but if you want to know why it isn't done check out this science:
en.wikipedia.org...
Actually it is all about memes

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

Yeah really..... I have always been huge on charity. Back when the money was coming in, and I was short on time, I donated a boatload of money. Now that the money is not coming in, and I have ample "free time", I donate my time to charity. All I can really hope is that the people that get helped, and get back onto their feet, pay it forward and also help some people. It's the best I can do, I wish more people would also do the best they could do to help those less fortunate.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I wish more people would also do the best they could do to help those less fortunate.

Here you go TKDRL - from the top down

It really isn't about people hating the rich - it's about everybody seeing the same things and wanting a change

Billionaire Caudwell urges rich to give more to poor

British billionaire John Caudwell says the rich have a "moral and ethical obligation" to give more to the poor.

The entrepreneur, who sold the Phones4U network £1.5bn in 2006, has pledged to give away at least half his fortune to good causes.

He urged those attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, to address the growing gap between starving poor and super rich.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

That guy seems to be doing a lot of good. In particular it seems like his caudwell children is a great thing. Kids is where I like to focus most of my funds and efforts as well. They are always the most vulnerable to being poverty stricken etc. Not like they can go get a job. Well at least not in the western world....
edit on Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:17:53 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
[reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Exactly, the rich aren't the problem.
Greedy, selfish, uncaring, tax-dodging, worker exploiting billionaire assholes are the problem.
This guy is a shining beacon of hope.
Let's hope others in his position help out, he sounds like a decent guy in that radio piece.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

stargatetravels

That is the worst way to think and the whole rugged individualism, me and mine are ok so screw everyone else mentality is poison.

Pepple care because they have empathy for their fellow humans.

It basically comes down to variation in hierarchical order of instincts. I think this is not only genetically influenced, but cultural. In the west we value individualism over collectivism. Go look at countries like Japan. You'd be a minority to have an attitude like that.

In the US, we're freaks for caring about humanity in general. I'm probably a freak amongst even most of you, as I value the species over family. Half the country thinks like the guy you quoted. That's not going away anytime soon. The solution is to show them how the policies in place are affecting "their own".
edit on 23-1-2014 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MOSTwanted

How many people does Walmart employ? How about Apple or Microsoft? Microsoft had at one time more millionaire secretaries than any other company in the world because they owned the stock. These Companies create enormous wealth for people who work there or use their products or services.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WisdomSeeker

Bill Gates and the guy in the link a few posts up are the exception, not the rule

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Billionaire Caudwell urges rich to give more to poor

British billionaire John Caudwell says the rich have a "moral and ethical obligation" to give more to the poor.

The entrepreneur, who sold the Phones4U network £1.5bn in 2006, has pledged to give away at least half his fortune to good causes.

He urged those attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, to address the growing gap between starving poor and super rich.

I think that its great that he's doing that, but it does nothing to help the poor. When you give to a charity most of that money does not go to the people they are helping, but into the pockets of the charities corporate structure. They will spend more of that money on growing their organization, and buying advertising then they will on the actual poor. So the money really is just going from a wealthy entrepreneur to a wealthy media owner, and only a very slight amount ever trickles down to those that need it.

Just as another example, lets say a rich person decided that they were going to pay off the debt of a million random people. Yeah, that gets them out of debt for the moment, but where does that money go? It goes into the hands of the rich debtors. So it transferred from one rich person to another, and the poor person will just dig themselves slowly back into debt again.

The system is rigged so that the money always returns to the top few no matter what you do. As long as they are allowed to lobby unfairly for laws to their liking, as long as they own all the assets and all the debt, as long as they own all the big businesses, and as long as they refuse to pay fair inflation adjusted wages, nothing will ever change.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

stargatetravels

DeepImpactX

Why do people care?

People care because they have empathy for their fellow humans.

I don't think you get it either. I don't practice greed. I work for as much as I need, which isn't a lot, so others can have their chances at getting what they need. All I ask in return is the same respect and very seldom, if ever, do I ever get it. Greed doesn't allow for other people to get their chances at a good life. Greed stifles everything positive about society and the people who live in it by making everything and everyone competitive and backbiting. This is how I view life and the people I come in contact with. I'm peaceful, I'm caring, I don't take more than I give back and I live a very balanced life that doesn't hurt anyone.

Can you say that about those 85 people? I doubt it.

Can you say that about everyone else who envy's or despises those 85 people? I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/ thread993816/pg18#pid17464by defcon5[/url]

Well that's what's been suggested by me and others, that they pay their fair share and stop using loopholes and lobbyists to avoid tax and get laws changed.
While I somewhat agree on your charity point, I have to say they do a great job too, they're on the frontline and charities like Red Cross, Oxfam, Medicine sans frontiers, save the children etc, are there everyday saving lives.
They need warehouses, staff and all the rest to function but yes, like any company, they have too much waste.
edit on 24-1-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

When you give to a charity most of that money does not go to the people they are helping, but into the pockets of the charities corporate structure.

I understand what you're saying - but I think that the rich that are interested in contributing aren't donating as much as they're investing - in people, and an idea. I obviously can't know for sure who all is involved - or how many, or what their intentions are, but I don't think they're (necessarily) just throwing money at the situation. I think many of them are working towards more sustainable solutions. Leaning more towards entrepreneurial situations, managing money - and straight up capitalism

Muhammad Yunus At WEF: Capitalism Involves Both Selfishness And Selflessness

“I’m a selfish person,” he said. “I run a business to make money. At the same time, I’m a selfless person. I run a business to change the world. I can do both. That new interpretation will change everything.”

But Yunus doesn’t just talk about changing the world through business. His entire life has been dedicated to this very endeavor.

Same guy:
"Forget about personal profit making. Once you get out of the personal profit idea, business is a very powerful tool," Yunus said. "You can use it to solve human problems."

And there's been more of this:
Microfinance

WMI's mission is to establish village-level loan hubs, administered by local women, to provide capital, training and support to rural women in the lowest income brackets in East Africa so that they can engage in income producing activities.

It's so easy to feel cynical about all of this, and to some extent helpless. I do think there are real world solutions for alleviating poverty - and not just in bits and pieces here and there. I'm sure some approaches are more useful than others...I guess we'll know with enough time

edit on 1/25/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join