It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

85 richest people as wealthy as half of the world's population

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Well said.
I still cannot believe that a human being typed the words that beezer did, let alone thinks that way.
Sadly this is why there will never be change.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

tencap77
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

glad to see that your solution to a person that is succesful is a bullet in the brain. i'm sure your a stone cold killer. i'm sure you could place a 45 between bill gates eyes and pull the trigger. nice. not saying that makes you bad. just glad to know that poor people ar as inherently violent as rich people. i think bender has the right idea. kill all humans. and the world would be a better place. makes perfect sense. anyway, way to try and walk back your inherent thirst for human blood. why use 85 bullets? you'd be introducing a lot of lead into the environement that way. why not just tie they're hands behind they're backs (so they can't hurt YOU!) and bury a crow bar in they're skull. no?. worried about getting blood and guts on your new tennies? understood. why not just throw them in a pool and drop a toaster in? pour gasoline on them and strike a match. push them off the observation deck of the empire state building. take them up in a united airlines plane and have the flight crew bail out after they kill the engines in the middle of the pacific? make them de-core a nuclear reactor with they're bare hands? feed them to white sharks? yes. killing 85 people will make sucha big diference. just a reminder. people with that kind of scratch have friends, and obama is one of them. i suppose you don't feel that way about your king, but the truth hurts doesn't it ?

what makes you think i am poor?...

so you think it is ok for so few to am-mas such wealth while thousands die everyday because they cant afford clean water of enough food to feed their families......?....i will take a stab in the dark and say you just dont have enough empathy to care

Putting a bullet in into someone's head is an example of a person with empathy? Hell, Webster's gonna have to redefine the word.

I laugh that you chastise someone as having no empathy when you talk of executing people simply because they have more assets than you.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

TKDRL
reply to post by ImaFungi

They should smarten up a bit.... All that wealth being horded isn't gonna help their future bloodline any if the earth is destroyed, or if all the slaves die out. What good is their pile of money going to be then?

Except it's not really a big pile of money is it? Assets to include businesses and factories and all sorts of things that most likely employ thousands upon thousands upon thousands.
edit on 21-1-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)
they haven't employed anyone.

They have enslaved a planet

LOL. Really? are you a slave? Looks like you are quite free as you type your opinion on a network provided by eeeeeevvvvillll corporations.

No i am no a slave. But in order to be free i break many laws

And it is just a matter of time before the "justice" system tries to enslave me

One i am found to be free they will stop at nothing to take it from me

So when you said that those people "enslaved the world" it was all empty hyperbole and emotion than fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So give them money.

Justify taking money from someone else and give them money.

because, after all, it's just money that'll make things better, right?

Moneymoneymoney

Give 'em money!

Morning beezzer. If we could - for a moment - move away from the whole wealth distribution fantasy and focus on what money really means?

:-)

It means - stability - and freedom from fear, panic - hopelessness and dread. Stability for everyone means less of a drain on - everyone

And yes - if we're going to have this discussion it can't be had without talking about dollars and cents. But - maybe we can do it without being so crass? And without talking about how the great unwashed are clawing their way towards someone's piggy bank?

I don't know that you'll actually read this article - or if you do what you might take away from it. I read it yesterday afternoon - and I thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss

Why? Because - while it does come down to hard cold cash (and it really is so tacky to talk about money in public) one thing missing from this discussion is what it actually means to be poor - and how poverty affects everybody - even the rich. Well, OK - not the rich - they don't actually have to think about much - they can afford to pay other people to think for them :-)

Anyhow, I've always felt that a happy, healthy, thriving society can only really happen from the ground up. But - what do I know?

Anyhow, this is what happens when you give people money. Before you panic - it's also what happens when you give people the opportunity to earn money. The discussion we should be having is about just that. That - and a real good hard look at why that isn't happening. Because - it isn't

What Happens When the Poor Receive a Stipend?

If that’s the primary takeaway, then we have some thinking to do. Some people feel that “if you’re poor, it’s because you deserve it,” Professor Costello said. “If you’re sick, it’s because you deserve it,” she said.

But if giving poor families with children a little extra cash not only helps them, but also saves society money in the long run, then, says Professor Costello, withholding the help is something other than rational.

“You’re not doing it because it pains you to do it,” she said. “That’s a very valuable lesson for society to learn.”

For the record - I don't believe you can rob Peter to pay Paul, and I don't think you can just throw money at a situation and make it go away. This thread should have been about why there are so many poor - and what we can do make the living conditions better for what amounts to - most of us, as it turns out

That would be the more interesting discussion. This Bolshevik-phobic nonsense is, among other things, just so mind-numbingly boring

P.S. I have no idea why this is all italicized :-)

edit on 1/22/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: italics

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

TKDRL

They should smarten up a bit.... All that wealth being horded isn't gonna help their future bloodline any if the earth is destroyed, or if all the slaves die out. What good is their pile of money going to be then?

Except it's not really a big pile of money is it? Assets to include businesses and factories and all sorts of things that most likely employ thousands upon thousands upon thousands.

Having a massive quantity of money is not a skill. If I had a billion dollars I bet I can invest in quite a few businesses and factories. If I had a billion dollars I could bet 10 million on red as a witticism.

And those businesses they invest in provide jobs. Getting and holding that amount of assets is indeed a skill set. If you were given a billon, I don't doubt that you'd lose it all quite easily.

After a generation or two, redistributed wealth would shift again into the hands of the clever.

Again, at what level do I have to get before you take my stuff and you kick me out or kill me? How much wealth am I allowed to have?

You dont have to worry, if you had 10 lifetimes you wouldnt get close. I would lose a billion dollars quite easily...wow, I dont think you comprehend how much money that is, and that the 89 people we have been talking about all have well over that. Do you realize I could put half or more of the billion in bonds and trusts and banks and cds (excuse my financial ignorance but you get the picture, I can pay someone to explain this stuff to me right?) and still give a million dollars to everyone of my family members, and still never have to work a day in my life and live better then every king who has ever lived?

What the hell do you think that these billionaires do? LOL. They invest money in factories, and businesses, and stock and bonds and use that money to make money and, in doing so, the money goes to provide jobs and opportunity and growth. I see that you have absolutely no concept of money or investing. YOu honestly think that these people sit on a huge money bed like Scrooge McDuck. They don't get where they are by being stupid.

And what I find funny is that you propose that you could invest your money and live happily ever after when you condemn those who do exactly that.

You wouldn't give all off your money to the poor and downtrodden and then become a Buddhist monk?

Now, you keep dodging the question. How much can I make before you would confiscate my assets and deport of kill me?

The point is I dont think what they do is hard, I think anyone can do what they do so I am not impressed or proud of them. You think its some amazing noble gesture that they have a billion dollars and invest some of it to make more money, the godly job creators, so one person is a black hole of economy but its ok because they make some jobs. A lot of them get where they are by being bored. My point is when you have that much money it is not hard to make more, and the byproduct of making more is making some jobs. I proposed I can do that to show you how simple it is, how unimpressive their majesty you are enthralled with is. I have answered this question over and over, if you are in that 89 of the richest. I would do away with private central banks, and have all priorities governmentalized non for profit to make sure enough food was available to all citizens, and a focus on from a young age, real education for all citizens, and everyone would be treated like a real equal citizen. Enough food is produced to consistently feed all people on earth so why is half the population impoverished and starving? This proves that it is not impossible to have a more successful civilization where half the existing humans arent in perpetual suffering and hopelessness and oppression and exploitation as slaves or at least cruelly treated work horses. So it is a problem with the system. You dont see it as a problem, because the bubble you were born into and maintained over your self over the course of your life is cozy, no need to change obviously. The same can be said about my self, but I am not thinking about myself when I am partaking in this side of the argument.

LOL. You honestly think that a billion dollars just magically appears out of thin air. If any schlub could make a billion, where's yours?

I've never said it was noble to be wealthy. I've said that simply being wealthy is not an indication of criminality, abuse, selfishness, or any other accusation your tiny mind makes up.

Your ignorance is laughable. I grew up in abject poverty--having to choose between food and heat during the winter sort of poverty. I made a promise to myself never to be poor or miserable again. Instead of partying Saturday night like my peers (who now bitch about the man keeping them down) I worked and/;or studied. I put in overtime, sacrificed pleasure, lost sleep and now I am very successful--well into the top 1% and picking up steam. My life was most likely much less "cozy" than yours and it is apparent with the blatant ignorance you have show in this thread.

You'd only strip the top 89 but leave number 90 alone? I don't believe that for an instant. Your ilk would strip and attack anyone who has more than you and anyone you think in your own twisted little mind is underserving. You and your kind are just as much a tyrant wannabe as Pol Pot and Lenin. Luckily you probably are too lazy to actually do anything as long as your welfare check comes in.
edit on 22-1-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Reddaysun
reply to post by NavyDoc

Every great fortune begins with a crime.

What crime? Let's use J. K. Rowling, for example. What crime did she commit to get her 2 billion dollars? Do you have specific crime or just repeating the mindless drivel that you hear down at the coffee shop?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

NavyDoc

Reddaysun
reply to post by NavyDoc

What crime? Let's use J. K. Rowling, for example. What crime did she commit to get her 2 billion dollars? Do you have specific crime or just repeating the mindless drivel that you hear down at the coffee shop?

I believe she was living in her car for a while.

When you do that you are usually commiting several crimes

I know i do

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

NavyDoc

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

TKDRL

LOL. Really? are you a slave? Looks like you are quite free as you type your opinion on a network provided by eeeeeevvvvillll corporations.

So when you said that those people "enslaved the world" it was all empty hyperbole and emotion than fact.

Just listen to your slave mentality

Enslaving a planet doesn't involve everyone's slavery

Yes you are a slave.

Don't pay your taxes . I don't

Then we will see who is free

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

NavyDoc

Reddaysun
reply to post by NavyDoc

so...because of her fortune from being the author of books that millions have bought, you extrapolate that out to mean...what?...90% of people that have great fortunes have committed a crime?...60%...40%...10%...none?...
kings and dictators are overthrown NOT because of their own personal fortunes, but, because of the extreme poverty of others, brought about by those kings and dictators in pursuit of increasing their own personal fortunes. why are the wealthy glorified and rewarded with more money, by insinuating they obtained their wealth through hard work, when the people that actually do hard work are put down as being lazy and selfish when they want the same reward?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

NavyDoc

Reddaysun
reply to post by NavyDoc

here's some mindless drivel for you....minimum wage should rise at the same percentage as the CPI, thus, you maintain the buying power of those on the bottom and in the middle, instead of them falling further behind.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

jimmyx

NavyDoc

Reddaysun
reply to post by NavyDoc

so...because of her fortune from being the author of books that millions have bought, you extrapolate that out to mean...what?...90% of people that have great fortunes have committed a crime?...60%...40%...10%...none?...
kings and dictators are overthrown NOT because of their own personal fortunes, but, because of the extreme poverty of others, brought about by those kings and dictators in pursuit of increasing their own personal fortunes. why are the wealthy glorified and rewarded with more money, by insinuating they obtained their wealth through hard work, when the people that actually do hard work are put down as being lazy and selfish when they want the same reward?

The statement was "ALL great wealth starts with a crime." In a few seconds of thought, I was able to point out an example that demonstrated that the initial premise was wrong.

Why are all people who have wealth considered criminal? How is having wealth, in and of itself proof of criminality. You resent the fact that poor people are labeled as "lazy" in a sweeping generalization that you think is unfounded but have no problem with labeling anyone successful as "criminal." Hypocrisy much?

If you believe that wealth is only achieved by abuse, criminal actions, exploitation, etc. then you are demonstrateably wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

Another_Nut

NavyDoc

TKDRL

Just listen to your slave mentality

Enslaving a planet doesn't involve everyone's slavery

Yes you are a slave.

Don't pay your taxes . I don't

Then we will see who is free

LOL. I'd be willing to bet that I'm more independent than you. "Slave mentality." What a joke. Perhaps it is you, enslaved by your fears and your paranoia.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

TKDRL

Having a massive quantity of money is not a skill. If I had a billion dollars I bet I can invest in quite a few businesses and factories. If I had a billion dollars I could bet 10 million on red as a witticism.

And those businesses they invest in provide jobs. Getting and holding that amount of assets is indeed a skill set. If you were given a billon, I don't doubt that you'd lose it all quite easily.

After a generation or two, redistributed wealth would shift again into the hands of the clever.

Again, at what level do I have to get before you take my stuff and you kick me out or kill me? How much wealth am I allowed to have?

You dont have to worry, if you had 10 lifetimes you wouldnt get close. I would lose a billion dollars quite easily...wow, I dont think you comprehend how much money that is, and that the 89 people we have been talking about all have well over that. Do you realize I could put half or more of the billion in bonds and trusts and banks and cds (excuse my financial ignorance but you get the picture, I can pay someone to explain this stuff to me right?) and still give a million dollars to everyone of my family members, and still never have to work a day in my life and live better then every king who has ever lived?

What the hell do you think that these billionaires do? LOL. They invest money in factories, and businesses, and stock and bonds and use that money to make money and, in doing so, the money goes to provide jobs and opportunity and growth. I see that you have absolutely no concept of money or investing. YOu honestly think that these people sit on a huge money bed like Scrooge McDuck. They don't get where they are by being stupid.

And what I find funny is that you propose that you could invest your money and live happily ever after when you condemn those who do exactly that.

You wouldn't give all off your money to the poor and downtrodden and then become a Buddhist monk?

Now, you keep dodging the question. How much can I make before you would confiscate my assets and deport of kill me?

The point is I dont think what they do is hard, I think anyone can do what they do so I am not impressed or proud of them. You think its some amazing noble gesture that they have a billion dollars and invest some of it to make more money, the godly job creators, so one person is a black hole of economy but its ok because they make some jobs. A lot of them get where they are by being bored. My point is when you have that much money it is not hard to make more, and the byproduct of making more is making some jobs. I proposed I can do that to show you how simple it is, how unimpressive their majesty you are enthralled with is. I have answered this question over and over, if you are in that 89 of the richest. I would do away with private central banks, and have all priorities governmentalized non for profit to make sure enough food was available to all citizens, and a focus on from a young age, real education for all citizens, and everyone would be treated like a real equal citizen. Enough food is produced to consistently feed all people on earth so why is half the population impoverished and starving? This proves that it is not impossible to have a more successful civilization where half the existing humans arent in perpetual suffering and hopelessness and oppression and exploitation as slaves or at least cruelly treated work horses. So it is a problem with the system. You dont see it as a problem, because the bubble you were born into and maintained over your self over the course of your life is cozy, no need to change obviously. The same can be said about my self, but I am not thinking about myself when I am partaking in this side of the argument.

LOL. You honestly think that a billion dollars just magically appears out of thin air. If any schlub could make a billion, where's yours?

I've never said it was noble to be wealthy. I've said that simply being wealthy is not an indication of criminality, abuse, selfishness, or any other accusation your tiny mind makes up.

Your ignorance is laughable. I grew up in abject poverty--having to choose between food and heat during the winter sort of poverty. I made a promise to myself never to be poor or miserable again. Instead of partying Saturday night like my peers (who now bitch about the man keeping them down) I worked and/;or studied. I put in overtime, sacrificed pleasure, lost sleep and now I am very successful--well into the top 1% and picking up steam. My life was most likely much less "cozy" than yours and it is apparent with the blatant ignorance you have show in this thread.

You'd only strip the top 89 but leave number 90 alone? I don't believe that for an instant. Your ilk would strip and attack anyone who has more than you and anyone you think in your own twisted little mind is underserving. You and your kind are just as much a tyrant wannabe as Pol Pot and Lenin. Luckily you probably are too lazy to actually do anything as long as your welfare check comes in.

My side of the argument isnt anything other then; the established ways of the current system dictates not only that not everyone can succeed in life and live a stable existence, but in fact, an overwhelming number of them may not under any circumstances be allowed to succeed in life or carry out a stable existence. It is not designed for this to be possible. There is a limited amount of money. One a few people have most of it, that means a lot of people have little of it, what dont you get about that? No matter how much hard work they do, they, not one or two or me or you, the collective they in the high high millions, will not have an existence outside of starvation and lack of other bare essentials and necessities. This is not about you or me, this is about everyone. Of course you dont have to worry about them, of course I dont have to, but that is what this thread is about, thinking about them. Your solution "they deserve it/if they work hard it will be better", My solution, "lets try to fix the problem for real, I dont have a solution, but we can find a better one then currently exists".

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

TKDRL

Also everyone cant join be a doctor or join the navy, if everyone was in the navy who would pay them. And if everyone in the world was out of poverty who would we war with? And if we couldnt war how could the owners of the military industrial complexs job programs fill their wallets?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
No sir

You are just a house slave

How do those privileges feel?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I want to be the first to concede to those 85 that... they win.

Can the starving hoards have some table scraps now?
edit on 1/22/2014 by Baddogma because: type-o fix of pre-coffee knee-jerk post from someone not in the 85's ranks

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

TKDRL

My side of the argument isnt anything other then; the established ways of the current system dictates not only that not everyone can succeed in life and live a stable existence, but in fact, an overwhelming number of them may not under any circumstances be allowed to succeed in life or carry out a stable existence. It is not designed for this to be possible. There is a limited amount of money. One a few people have most of it, that means a lot of people have little of it, what dont you get about that? No matter how much hard work they do, they, not one or two or me or you, the collective they in the high high millions, will not have an existence outside of starvation and lack of other bare essentials and necessities. This is not about you or me, this is about everyone. Of course you dont have to worry about them, of course I dont have to, but that is what this thread is about, thinking about them. Your solution "they deserve it/if they work hard it will be better", My solution, "lets try to fix the problem for real, I dont have a solution, but we can find a better one then currently exists".

NO, your solution is to punish success and use force to take from people who have more than you and are thus undeserving.
My solution is freedom. Economic and social freedom brings about prosperity for the most people.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Another_Nut
No sir

You are just a house slave

How do those privileges feel?

LOL. Silly hyperbole much? I feel great. I come and go as I please. I make my own choices in life, and I don't live in fear.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

ImaFungi

NavyDoc

TKDRL

Also everyone cant join be a doctor or join the navy, if everyone was in the navy who would pay them. And if everyone in the world was out of poverty who would we war with? And if we couldnt war how could the owners of the military industrial complexs job programs fill their wallets?

Being a doctor in the Navy was but a single step in a journey of a half-century. A journey that started out in poverty. If I sat around and waited for stuff to be redistributed to me, I'd still be in poverty.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stargatetravels

A lot of replies decrying or applauding "The 1%" - this has always bothered me, because being in the top 1% of earners doesn't even mean you're guaranteed to keep your home, let alone retire early. I believe somewhere around $200k/yr puts you in the top 1% in the US. Figure you're left with about $115k after state & federal income tax, SS, etc. Take another $10k for property taxes on a 2500 sq ft home (typical for the income bracket, not overtly extravagant), and another $5k for vehicles and maintenance and we're at $100k. Take $25k for mortgage payments, now $75k. 10% of every dollar spent on purchases to sales tax, and by the time it's all said and done, you can get by for a treat for every 3 years you don't get laid off. After that, you sell your posessions, lose your home, and have nothing in the bank.

Much different than earning $100M+/year

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join