It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for My ATS Survival Crew About Carry Systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Okay, here we have the best and brightest minds in survival you will find anywhere... Just going over some replies to my threads, I am impressed in their knowledge and honored to be among you..

Now the butt kissing is over

I have a question for you all..

Which carry system is your personal favorite?

1. Backpack.. (Probably be most of you)

2. Shoulder Pack

3. Hip Pack

4. Vest System

5. Travois

6. Other

They all have their positives and negatives...

Which is your choice?

Go into detail and I will pick the best responses and showcase it on the All Things Survival Radio Show this Thursday..

edit on 1/20/2014 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Eberlestock G4 Operator in Mc is my go to bag. Other great packs include mystery ranch,kifaru,eagle,TAD.
edit on 20-1-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

depends on situation - but of your options - I use all except " vest " on a weekly basis - ok - I don't actually use a travoise - but I do use a fishing tackle trolley [ for good terrain ]

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I had one of those trollies way back when I was doing a lot of fishing.. VERY nice

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Depends what you are trying to survive. I went free climbing up a mountain once with a small backpack that contained a stack of corned beef sandwiches and a thermal flask full of tea.

But for rock festivals, I use a Viper tactical assault vest. It has enough pockets and pouches that I can store all my valuables, camera, mobile phone, binoculars, wallet, lighters, tobacco, sunblock, sunshades, flashlights, even toilet paper, all on my person, and never leave anything worth a damn in my tent. I get the impression however, that you were not talking about surviving anything as pedestrian as a metal fest :p

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I guess it depends on a few factors...

1. How strong are you? If you have the ability to carry 120+ pounds on a 15-20mi. hike. Also the hike won't always be on a "trail" because you want to stay under the radar. I personally am not sure I'd be able to carry a pack like that for days traveling that far so I would want either a sling bag or what I have been planning is to use a chest rig that has a small pack integrated.

2. What terrain are you traversing? If you have a bunch of river crossings and other had to cross type areas do you really wanna be humping a huge pack. How well could you get down a rock face with all that?

3. How much will you need to bring? Are you able to survive off the land and don't need 120 pounds of gear or are you just a normal guy trying to survive in a situation you may not be experienced with. When it comes to a bigger hiking type pack there are tons of good ones and really it's your preference.

4. Are you armed and if so how many? If you are like most people I see on here you probably have a few tools in your tool bag. How can you carry a .22, a 12ga, an AR, pistol, and ammo. How are you gonna climb and traverse when you can't actually carry your weapon? I would recommend Eberlestock all the way. The ability to pack multiple weapons platforms into one bag...AND have them easily accessible is a true advantage.

There are more things to look at but the major ones are what are you carrying? Are you able to actually carry it over the distance you plan to travel? How will the terrain affect your ability to to maneuver with said pack? ( I mean can you evade patrols or people with a huge pack on...can you run away still?) Again but more specific due to the use of the item what are you carrying gun wise...and how can you free up your hands enough to climb, swim, and other activities involved with hiking off the path but still be ready to mount a defense?

Here are my few recommendations...I have been shopping for a new BOB lately and here is the few I've narrowed to.

Chest Rig w/ Pack option
Sling bag w/ Lots of Molly Webbing
Med. Sized Pack w/ Plenty of Molly and Long Gun Scabbard

There are probably a ton more fitting bags but as far as reviews I've read and people I've talked to that own them these are uber reliable rugged bags that go on military deployments and missions and come home too

ETA: I think I am going to be going with the chest rig with pack attached and a single point sling...however if I didn't want to go for mobility and light fast travel it would be the G3 all the way. I just can't travel 20+ miles a day with 100 pounds on my back for very long...Also why I went with a Keltech SU-16 (empty it weighs 4.7 pounds).
edit on 20-1-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Backpack and hip pack. I have a small backpack, but that has carabiners so I can clip my hip pack to it (helps hold it in place).

I have most of my gear in the hip pack, but some bulkier items, food, and the two water bottles are in the backpack.

In a pinch, I could drop the backpack, and still get by fine on just the hip pack. During a SHTF situation, if in pursuit, I could always drop the backpack, so any pursuer is more likely to stop and collect it via keep going after me. Then, I'm still good with the hip pack.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's an interesting point...dropping something to take whats really important. Whats your take on drop leg platforms to replace a hip pack? I'm not too keen on the hip packs because of how a pack sits on my back...I feel it would rub wrong. I'm a kinda thin dude and only 5'11" so I have limited area for it all to fit comfortably. I just don't think it would all fit...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Tactical assault gear combat sustainment pack.........Check it out you can thank me later. It is modular and the straps can be removed so it can be directly attached to a vest or other pack.

All in all Eberlestock and kifaru make the best packs in my eyes. Tad gear is in a close second.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I got the hip pack for Christmas, and at first, I wasn't gung ho trying it out.
Until I actually wore it.

It felt like I didn't have anything there at all!

I was totally shocked to be honest. I figured no way is this going to stay up fully loaded...nope, no problem, worked great. The only problem is that my normal backpack sits too low on my back, to wear with it well. I need to find a backpack that doesn't hang down as far to really wear both easy.

To best answer the OP though, my absolute favorite is my EDC. It's a rather unique idea. My work laptop case. Unlike my GHB/BOB or hip pack, my laptop case is with me inside the building, so at all times. In it, I have some basic essentials to help in an emergency. I can't have a firearm in the office, (and not risking my job for it)...but an ASP baton is no problem. My metal water bottle can clip to it with a carabiner. Small first aid kit, flashlight, lighter, some beef jerky, OTC meds, multi-tool, Swiss-style knife, a backup cell battery, map, compass, water purifiers, potassium iodine tabs, Cipro, surgical mask, rubber gloves, emergency poncho, and emergency thermal blanket. All innocently stored inside its pockets.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

A pleasure to speak with you as your reputation at ATS preceeds you!

As a First Responder both with DHS and FEMA, Im in favor of all except the Travois. Thats because of mobility. I have one of each (or two) of all your examples.

As long as I would be healthy and uninjured enough to carry them, I would carry all simultaneously, for their specific design purposes and for the quanity of items I could carry, but not the travois-carry all.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I prefer a tiered system that integrates together - waist pack, daypack/ summit pack, multi-day/ backcountry pack. I think you're better covered for whichever scenario you face with this type of system (mine is wilderness oriented) but the concept applies to any environment you want to set it up for (urban, wilderness, desert, marine, etc) have backups of survival tools scaled for each tier and of course, keep the most important items on your person

ETA: and since some of you are pimpin' brands (Hill People Gear)

edit on 20-1-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

All of them.

Redundancy!

RedundancyRedundancyRedundancyRedundancyRedundancyRedundancy

Don't trust your backpack, fanny-pack, vest, etc!

Distribute gear all along each and carry each.

When I've gone out, I've had at least 5 knives.

I never had to go digging.

I carry multiple 9v batteries and steel wool. All distributed throughout my gear.

Same with food.

Wet weather gear, always at hand.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
My day hike kit is a mash vest that allows air circulation.
www.sportsmansguide.com...
It fits in a small bag behind the seat of my truck.
and has everything i need for 5 days survival..

And it only takes a couple minutes to add my holster for my P38 and 4 mags of ammo.

For longer term i have a A.l.i.c.e pack. with frame and shelf. this carries spares extra food, my 22 conversion kit for my AR15 and .22 and 5.56 rifle ammo.

I also have a TEOTWAWKI bag on travois/cart system.
files.abovetopsecret.com...
This is in one of the storage compartments of my motor home.
More gear. ammo,sleeping bag. cammo and tent.
this after use to move supplies will become a game carrier or a building materiel carrier.

My motor home is my primary survival transport towing my truck.
i live in it full time and keep plenty of canned goods and other food in it.
MH 500 miles range max. truck another 350 miles.
i have a BOl that i can drive to (30 miles) and i can block the road 5 miles back by removing bridge decking and loading it on my truck. and carrying it just far enough someone can not carry it back without alot of help
that leaves me plenty of gas for my generator and i also have solar.

new topics

top topics

join