It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As I grow older I can no longer watch TV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I find the older I am, I can't sit and watch TV. It is boring, old, and not enjoyable. The only thing I like to watch is Sports, the Discovery Channel, History, and TCM. The news channels have moved form reporting news to becoming talk shows. I mean who cares what color is Santa. I wish the news was like the show The Newsroom.

Other channels have just boring TV. I like Deadliest Catch and shows on history and stuff, but I am down maybe an hour a night, there are time I go three days without turning it on.

Is any one else noticing this happening to them?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Everything shown now a days is a rehash of an old series or the terrible real life mocumentaries or shows which serve no purpose but to exploit and annoy. I myself have found myself finding old shows (70's to 90's) and rewatching them as they had at least some level of being self aware.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

Has nothing to do with age. It's the content of the programming. It's all reality TV rubbish with a few good exceptions. I watch more on the screen now than I ever did, just not traditional TV boring rubbish. Mostly uploaded movies and selected stuff. Anyone who sits a whole night and watches whatever randomly happens to be on, needs their head examined.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I'm a bit of a telly addict, despite being oldish (53).

I love history and science progs but they are few and far between, and I rarely expect to be educated when I turn it on.

It's like true addiction...I just let the noise and the manic images wash over me, a bit like muzak when you're in a lift.

Kind of comforting.

If I'm honest, as annoying as it often is, I feel it keeps me up to speed with modern life (more than the internet).

I know, kick me...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I know how you feel, OP. Thus, 5 years ago I got rid of the cable in our house.. Saved me a nice chunk of change.

Watching the shows my kids wanted to see, and then all the other crap that was so mind-numbingly boring.

We use netflix for stuff, no cable / sat etc. tho.

I did like TLC, History, Discovery channels.. they were all I watched.. To the point I was neglecting my house-chores.. (oops).

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

The thing with me is that my viewing habits have changed dramatically over the course of my life, because my life has changed dramatically.

For example, when I was a young boy, I was often unwell, and away from school. Sometimes this would be because I had recently undergone surgery, but more often than not asthma related causes were responsible for my absence. On days where I was so affected, I would spend the day reading Hardy Boys paperbacks, and surfing channels to see what was on. Earlier in the day there would be Countdown, or BlockBusters, or Going for Gold, and I would try and answer as many questions as possible (apart from those pertaining to mathematics, which has ever been anathema to my soul).

That period of the day would come to an end, and after that would be the midday, to mid afternoon murder mystery segment of the day, where everything from Quincy M.E. to Ironside, from Murder She Wrote, to the quintessential Jeremy Brett in the starring role as Sherlock Holmes, would be televised for our enjoyment. From the end of that period onward, would be a curious mixture of dross, followed by the childrens hour, which began after schools had finished kicking out, and would often contain nothing of any particular merit

Later, after the childrens television was over, there would be the insufferable soap operas, until six forty five or so in the evening, at which point Star Trek might be on, and every now and again it might be worth being up a little later than the end of that show, to watch a documentary or perhaps a new episode of A Touch Of Frost, or Inspector Morse.

When I evolved into a teen, my televisual habits were reduced by an enjoyment of pursuits of an outdoor variety, like going out and deliberately getting lost in a field or wood, and having a great time figuring out a way back to the main roads, but my preference when watching television, became much more focused towards mystery thrillers, news items, documentaries (British ones, not crappy dumbed down early fox generation dross like you used to find on the Discovery Channel), and sci-fi.

Now, my tastes run almost exclusively to these things. I cannot stand to watch the hour of crap that comes before a good show, so now I put my television on mute, set an alarm for the things I want to watch, and read a book, or surf ATS while I wait. I often use ATS while watching the news. In fact, the other day I was watching a crime drama on my laptop, taking in some news in the background (with the sound turned just far enough down that I could not consciously hear it), and using ATS on an iPad.

No doubt, when I ascend in years to a further degree, I will find my habits have changed again, that my downtime is spent in other pursuits.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I never was a big tv watcher, but my spouse is and the drivel he will watch amazes me. He will watch practically anything.

I loathe commercials, even in the background. Guess I have a short attention span for things that don't interest me.

I prefer the web where I feel I have more choice as to what my brain cells feast on. We're in the process of going away with cable and ushering in netflix, hoping for no advertising and a better choice of what to watch. Not really feeling too confident about it though. Good things don't last forever and we're late to that game.

The older I get, the more restless and ornery I get with television in general. Every. Single. Thing. is so FAKE. It's very annoying.

I yell at the idiots on tv and I find it difficult to sit through an entire movie...even a good one.

I'm not a suitable Neilsen ratings subject for sure

I'll admit I'm a sucker for PBS and nature type shows or documentaries! I know scripted "reality" type shows have made some quite a bit of money and fame, but I just wish that genre would die already. Scary to think what will replace that.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I was a big TV watcher but I too am finding as I get older I cant be bothered with it anymore. Maybe it is the programming, maybe it is that I have seen it all before and the stuff that they try to shock me with just disgusts me. I find some of the older UK movies are more interesting because they are not predictable and they have stories about almost anything.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean....

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
having realised that I have not watched TV for at least 8 months - I have thrown mine out - cut the aerial co-ax and blocked my direct debit for the TV licence - I can live without TV now

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This is because television is always aimed at it's target audience.
This audience is known as consumers.
So the chances are that as you grow old and stop being a good consumer that the television will just stop "speaking to you or your needs".
As you grow older we cement in a world view that becomes increasingly inflexible and televisions propaganda no longer has any effect. We know what we know and all the tv in the world won't change that. Television programmers know this and instead of wasting time and energy trying win back older viewers, it concentrates on attracting new ones.
It focuses on children and young adults...the demographic that hasn't heard all the lies and twisted sales pitches yet.
At least this is how I see it.

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
My TV is via a major UK cable provider/telephone company that is as diverse in its associated company portfolio as the need for its proprietor to be in the public eye, whatever his escapade is at any given point in time.
The programmes available are repeated on a daily basis depending on which channel you select and on some days the same programme can end up being simultaneously transmitted on 4 or more channels.
News, if that can be what it is called, on the BBC, is a series of portrayals of events with 'reporters' answering a pre-rehearsed list of questions.
Reality shows pervade the airways like a sick reflection of society, after all, this is what the hordes thrive upon and seek their few moments of fame if they can appear on the screen themselves.
I used to watch Deadly Catch but that became a repetitive portrayal of megalomaniac skippers and masochistic crewmen albeit earning large amount of $ if they caught the crabs!
Sport is more $ than common sense! just look at what top footballers salaries are, and on field disrespect for authority or the opposing team reflects the character of many who support it.
Occasionally along comes a dream of a wildlife documentary with fantastic images depicted on the screen, then you find out that the Polar Bear snow cave sequence was a fake. Although the latest series portraying dolphins in the wild was a success with the various fake animals they used as cameras producing some incredible and previously unseen dolphin film.

The answer for me has been a return to my public library obtaining a cross section of books from fiction through non-fiction and occasional biographies, depending on who it is, combined with greater use of the internet with the use of sites such as ATS amongst others, improving open source research such as tapping into the Library of Congress, brilliant site, and some interest in sites such as Al Jazeera. I also follow a good cross section of sites such as Greenpeace, 38 degrees, taxpayers Alliance, Change.org and similar.

With ATS, it is soon apparent who is talking sense, who is spoiling for a fight, thread divert or trolling generally. Soap box orators with no substance or depth are relatively easy to spot, the challenge is to pick your way through the mire and discover the nuggets that exist, well referenced and well balanced, like a coin with 2 sides, they portray both supportive and contradictory facts and allow the member to make their own mind up.

So, TV, as we old fogies know it, is but a shadow of its former self, and yes, I remember my favourite programmes from the 50's and 60's childhood on a small black and white screen and a fascination for watching 'the spot' disappear on the cathode ray tube after the power was switched off and wondering what it was and where it went! Also, as time progressed some famous events were watched in awe, particularly the first Moon landing, Churchills funeral, Mandelas release.

Yes, TV is a shadow of its former self, but I agree and understand why.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I can't agree more, the last couple of years have been a big downward spiral for everything related to tv or cinema, news and informative programming has made place for annoying dramatising bs that no-one (except gay's and "girls") really care about. Discovery has turned into Fox together with history and the standard Nat-Geo (not including Nat-geo Wild). Normal tv programming i don't even watch anymore cause its nothing more then "programming".

They are really getting the hang of dumbing things down, another 10 years and no person under 20 will have an iq higher then 80.

edit on 20/1/2014 by Bauwser because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

about 7 years ago i grew tired and TV 10-15 years ago i stopped reading fiction. Its all repeated. Very rarely worth paying attention to.

I will watch Modern Family. It has stuff that is fairly fresh (most sitcoms circulate through the same jokes, etc, that you can see coming from a mile away). I watch sports (Olympics, football). Otherwise, my wife watches TV and I end up hearings parts here and there while I am doing my thing online.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I barely watch, just a few shows tops. It's mostly mind-numbing tripe. What really bugs me is how everyone on TV looks 20 something. LOL!

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I find I watch Public Television (PBS) shows. Masterpiece Theater, Masterpiece Mysteries. Rick Steves travel series. Doc Martin. Downtown Abbey. Documentaries and shows like Nova. Independent Lens.

On regular tv programming, I will watch some things when I'm tired and wore out. Whatever I can find that can hold my interest. I have found that I can't watch one show anymore. I watch 2 or 3, changing channels when a commercial is on, or the show is slow. I do occasionally watch Modern Family, The Middle, Big Bang - but not religiously. I also sometimes catch Supernatural or Sleepyhollow -- both kind of dumb shows, but oh well. I do sometimes still enjoy Saturday Night Live, The Daily Show and comedy specials on Comedy Central if there's a good comedian on.

I can'twatch reality tv, game shows, talk shows, news, competition shows (like Idol), cop or medical dramas, lame, predictable comedies, etc. Not even if I'm tired or feeling under the weather.

Would rather be on the internet, reading a book, watching a film, or doing something outside than mainstream TV.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Quit subscribing to any TV service two years ago and do not miss it at all. There are some shows I'll look up on the internet, like Ghost Adventures or Finding Bigfoot.
I just couldn't do the commercials and the constant hate from news networks. History Channel had nothing for me anymore, and Syfy alienated me.

I also couldn't justify paying $40 a month for 15 ESPN channels I never touched.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I don't trust the TV. It presents opinion as fact. This thread reminded me of this story. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger...he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.

If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game . He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn't seem to mind.

Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home... not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our longtime visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush.

My Dad didn't permit the liberal use of alcohol. But the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished. He talked freely (much too freely) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.

I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked... and NEVER asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents' den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. His name?....
We just call him, "TV."

He has a younger sister now. We call her "Computer."
edit on 2012014 by Snarl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
my housemate does nothing but watch TV. she has no hobbies, does not read and sleeps with the damn thing on! her brain is a mushy mess. she talks about fictional television as if it is telling a true story. for example: "If he had not have been there, she would have died". what?! I'll mess with her and say something like, "if he had not been there, you would not have had a show to watch for the last hour." she will just look at me with this dumb-ass look in her eyes.

i used to love television, but i too have little patience for it now. i do enjoy some reality tripe (guilty pleasure) and i like to watch the lies..i mean news...so i have a foundation for my truth finding efforts. mostly, i like to watch cartoon network with my kiddo. cartoons are still the best television out there; adventure time and regular show are original, creative and often have a good message about loyalty, friendship and being true to oneself.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 20-1-2014 by cleversprite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I am not to that level yet. I still use it for the PS3 and for my favorite sports teams, maybe an old movie.

I do find myself listening to radio. Talk radio. Not Rush or political talk. A lot of local shows and then Phil Hendrie at night for a good laugh. Radio is way more entertaining than the TV.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join