It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M6.3 - 38km NNE of Masterton, New Zealand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

The "severe" earthquake struck 10km north of Castlepoint in Wairarapa, 160km north-east of Wellington, at a depth of 50km at 1.52pm (AEDT), GeoNet said. There are reports of damage caused inside buildings by the minute-long quake. The quake was felt by almost the entire country, as far north as Auckland and as far south as Dunedin, The New Zealand Herald reported. Fire Service central communications shift manager Mike Wanoa said there had been no reports of major but crews were "extremely busy".

news.ninemsn.com.au...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

looks like it made landfall// 27 km down that's relatively shallow, strong response hope everyone there is ok...
edit on 19-1-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I hope everyone is doing well...:/

According to IGN, here's a picture of a 2 tonne Weta Eagle (made for The Hobbit) which had apparently fallen from a ceiling at Wellington airport, as a result of the earthquake today.

Pretty crazy!
edit on 19-1-2014 by daaskapital because: Hobbits!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Now that's a BIG a** bird.... I don't want to ask the stupid question, but I'm going to anyways... Is that based off anything real or anything that once lived? Ok dumb question is over, see john it wasn't so bad.....

Now to the OP, this will be interesting to see how this unfolds, lets be on the look out for aftershocks... I'm curious to see what, if any, damage this initial quake did..

Stay safe everyone!

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

All my family felt this one they're in the manuwatu/rangitiki area said it was very large and very long. My poor neices are under the table to scared to come out being 6 and 5 very understandable no major damage that I have heard just lots of nerves.. I am in Auckland and didn't feel a thing and after being in the Gisborne quake which was around the same size I really don't want to experience that again. Going home next month to be with family for my birthday so I am really hoping it's last for a long, long while

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

To have a 2 ton anything...hanging up in any public place...much less in an airport,
in a country that is no stranger to damaging earthquakes,
over a snack area, or whatever it appears to be...
Rrriiight!!! There's some real good common sense for you...NOT!!!

Geeze, has everyone taken leave of their senses these days???
It appears so!!!
WOQ

(Pretty impressive bird though! LOl!)
edit on 20-1-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
And there appears to be another one a llitle to the right of the one which fell

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So use to these earthquakes here in NZ.
Today was quite a big shake, biggest in awhile, should expect lots of aftershocks as I've learned from all the last big rumbles.

Felt reports all across NZ via GeoNet

edit on 20-1-2014 by Sphinxxx because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2014 by Sphinxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm currently in New Plymouth, NZ for work. (Live in Aust)

This is the first EQ I have ever experienced and it was a total trip.

I was watching the races and the camera dislodged, the caller stopped announcing the race (Wellington races) and was talking about all the equipment falling around him.

It lasted about 15-20 seconds and there was a minor aftershock about 2mins later which lasted about 10secs.

Like I said - total trip!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Wow! Good observing!!!
I totally missed that!!!
WOQ

top topics

join