It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Creepy Patents That Will Make You Worry About the Fate of Humanity

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Some of us arent so keen on that idea... Sounds quite a bit like the borg.

I think that if we can choose to live in that way, without giving up our sovereign perspective, it would lead to more willing participation.

I dont want to "just know" what anothers perspective is, I want to learn that through exploring the universe together and I am perfectly content without knowing everything in everyones mind.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
None of those are actually frightening in the least, they sound very advanced actually. What I do fear is the people who will use this technology to subjugate others, and those are two different fears.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Serdgiam

Some of us arent so keen on that idea... Sounds quite a bit like the borg.

I'm not talking about an artificial technology-based collective consciousness like the Borg. I'm talking about the natural kind. The kind we are capable of because of the way consciousness is. I'm talking about the Divine Milieu, not the technological Borg-ish substitute we are inching toward.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I dont think there is a single thing in existence that is "un-natural," and that technology is a form of mysticism (and the other way around), but that starts to veer off topic.

Just keep on keepin on, and hopefully you can make a change for the better.

I really think it all comes down to how we choose to design and implement whatever we design and implement. Simple, but certainly not easy to approach.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Serdgiam
I really think it all comes down to how we choose to design and implement whatever we design and implement. Simple, but certainly not easy to approach.

It also comes down to when we do it. We can't sit and wait. There are too many ticking time-bombs. We have to get Dr Persingers technology up and going so that we can form the Noosphere. Then we can defuse the bombs and shed our dependence on technology.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I think our dependence on technology is more of a mindset than a reality.

Anyway, we obviously have a fundamental disagreement on how to actually approach these problems. We both seem to be working towards a similar end though, so in that, I wish you the best.

I think we already live in the noosphere, we just choose not to perceive it.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Somehow, I hadnt even heard of that one! Thanks for the rec, I love dark comedy especially surrounding this stuff. Because, lets be honest with ourselves, its ironic! Everyone blames everyone else for doing what everyone does. We blame a societal problem on people other than us, which also shifts the control to those very same people. Many people I speak to still are not convinced that the government is spying on us (??), and even if they believe it, they literally recap the buzzphrase "well, I am not doing anything wrong, so I have nothing to worry about."

You're welcome. I think you'll definitely get a dark chuckle from Visioneers. It's very dark and bitingly satirical. There's even a "dangerous" counter culture that erupts that is portrayed just as satirically as the protagonist (your typical guy) is looking for shelter from it all. Great movie.

I totally agree with what you're saying and see it as well. I've got a great quote from Maurice Halbwach that expresses that issue that you would probably really like as far as buzzphrase/buzzword recappers go:

"We are unaware that we are but an echo. The whole art of the orator probably consists in his giving listeners the illusion that the convictions and feelings he arouses within them have come not from him but from themselves, that he has only divined and lent his voice to what has been worked out in their innermost consciousness." Maurice Halbwach, On Collective Memory

In a lot of ways, what Halbwach is saying is very true. In the case of "if you're not doing anything wrong...", most would respond to the idea of being spied upon with the response "but I'm not doing anything wrong" (and perhaps some mild worry about pondering just what searches were recorded lol). Hence the buzzphrase that was utilized in response. It does "divine" what the listener is feeling and answers/comforts that distress. "If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about." The effect is deliberate. Politicians, lobbyists and more actually pay skilled writers to come up with this kind of thing as public opinion is pivotal in deciding which direction our country goes in. If you have an allergy to buzzwords, it's a good thing.

I think that patents and regulation are done as market control. Just like everything else, they say its "for YOUR protection," but how many things really are? I am much more of an open source kind of guy. You get more brilliant minds working on the same project, and you can overtake any proprietary business within time.

Absolutely. I once was working within the oil industry and do you know who holds most of the patents on alternate fuels/energy sources? The oil industry and funnily enough, even the usage of that term has been shifting from "oil industry" to "energy industry". It's all in the lingo. I found out that little tidbit after asking a rep what their company (joint venture between Shell and Texaco) was going to do when peak oil hit about 20 years ago. His response was "oh don't worry...we've been buying up patents and research for decades so we'll still be in control of the market." I wasn't comforted one bit by that response and it really disturbed me.

Market control is the name of the game out there from patents and research to mergers and acquisitions. The latter is why our corporate Goliaths keep getting bigger and bigger. Interestingly enough, mergers and acquisitions tend to have a high rate of failure after they take place. I believe it was only 10% of companies that had been subject to a m & a survive. That means 90% fail but that doesn't matter. Why? Because they eliminated the market competition and ergo, maintained that market control. It's either eat it or squish it out there.

I do like open source as well because of the nature of it. Very hard to squish or eat something that is given freely and can't be bought.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

None of those are actually frightening in the least, they sound very advanced actually. What I do fear is the people who will use this technology to subjugate others, and those are two different fears.

Yes, that is always the fear; that the wrong people will use it for their own gain.

I completely understand what you're saying. I think the article also projected the very same attitude.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Yes, these are all very creepy. I had heard of a DVR that does what they talk about that sort of TV doing, watching the viewers, but not a TV. Anyone that thinks such a device is for "tailored ads" isn't thinking! It's for spying, plain and simple.

Social media spies already, without need of any device. It's possible now to know a LOT about a person's personality by reviewing their social media posts. The more someone uses it, the easier this becomes.

Sensors to monitor physical responses of employees? Ways to decide if someone is "annoying" to coworkers? Kiss ANY real freedom goodbye!

More and more, as we gain new technologies, people seem to lose common sense, and rfuse to understand the very real dangers that can come from abuses of said technologies.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

havok
reply to post by wildtimes

People are probably going to have serious neck issues in the next 10 years. It seems that everywhere I go, every single person is craning their neck down to stare at a phone. Mindlessly bumping into things, thinking they are NOT in anyone's way, and being extremely rude about it. I should put stock in neck pain medicines.

*snip*

Not to mention all the people walking through busy parking lots so engrossed in whatever they are doing with their phones that they pay NO attention to the cars going through the lot! It's a wonder more aren't run over every day.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
More patents that do not make sense to add to your list..
Why would they need these patents? Whats going on within the world we live in that these are needed?
youtu.be...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join