It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Creepy Patents That Will Make You Worry About the Fate of Humanity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

wildtimes
I long for small self-sustaining communities based on agriculture and exchanged 'trades' rather than a money-based system.

If you are actually serious about that (plenty of people say they are, but arent).. send me a U2U and we can throw some ideas back and forth. I put the ball in your court for now.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

It sure would be convenient that people would clamor for ANY technology at that point, after being conditioned to be so addicted to it...

I wonder how the corporate government would take advantage of that one! A lot of their stuff is, of course, shielded.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Serdgiam

It sure would be convenient that people would clamor for ANY technology at that point, after being conditioned to be so addicted to it...

I wonder how the corporate government would take advantage of that one! A lot of their stuff is, of course, shielded.

Their "shielding" is overrated by the public.
It would take decades for the govt to regain power. A lot can happen in that time.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I actually suspect that an EMP is an expected vector of "terrorist" attack (if it isnt, those people need new jobs), and that preparations have already been made to take advantage of the situation should it occur.

It is doubtful any of this preparation would be made public in the first place, much less rated one way or the other.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Holy crap, her little spiel was so buzzword heavy that it was like she was saying nothing at all. My brain literally shut down listening to her. She seemed physically incapable of answering a direct question (is this FDA approved?) without launching into a long burst of more buzzwords before actually answering the question. People like her terrify the crap out of me because it really makes me wonder if, for all of their pleas to "innovative thinking", if they even think for themselves at all or if their brains are more akin to a neural sponge.

Going to the idea of popping a pill that allows one to authenticate devices through touch alone, that's not as great of an idea as it would seem as it would leave devices vulnerable if one inadvertently touched them and walked away. That would at least be a nuisance (how does one log out without instantly logging back in?) and at the worst, not be hackable? All one would have to know was the frequency being emitted by the user to hack ALL of their devices and hey, maybe steal their car, loot their home, empty their banks and god knows what else would use this kind of technology to make things "easier" for their customers.

You're quite right in that many inventors are using transhumanism as an appeal to the masses for more invasive technologies. The reason why they use it is because it's so easy to see the appeal of maybe thinking and learning faster, having an accessible memory storage, and more. I'm quite sure that some of the things that will be invented are probably going to be labelled "smart" because nothing apparently makes people feel smarter than buying a Smart product without using a whole lot of common sense to figure out whether its actually useless, invasive/intrusive, or if it would have some unexpected consequence.

The patents that have been coming out over the last few years really terrify me and honestly, I don't take a whole lot of comfort in that they could be patents that will never come into fruition simply because of who the holders of those patents are. Some mighty big names.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Im exactly the same way. That video creeps me out. When she is asked if Google will know everything about someone who swallows that pill, she laughs for a while and then says "just give him some water and let him take that."

Its amazing how buzzwords are used to feed a certain perspective on things. Agenda 21 uses this extensively as well.

All you have to do is look at the actions of how all of this is being implemented. You can either release a technology with the purpose of control and dependence, or the purpose of enabling and self-sufficiency. In that, I dont think any of these technologies are inherently bad, any more than a gun, but how they are used tell everything you need to know about the people implementing them and the culture surrounding them.
edit on 19-1-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Most of these technologies reminded me of this:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You should check out the indie film, Visioneers. It'd probably be right up your alley (and worst dystopian nightmare ever!) as it is a direct satirical shot at "corporate culture". I hold a business administration degree and some of what was taught felt like I was going to have an epileptic fit in response. We actually did have a "S.M.A.R.T." acronym for use in corporate culture and organizational behavior and I'm proud to say that I bombed that portion of the exam.

I've held a deep revulsion for buzzwords for as long as I can remember and long before I ever stepped foot on a conspiracy forum for whatever reason. Pretty sure my brain just naturally rejects b.s.

Agreed on how the tech is used making a significant difference. The thing that I see immediately offhand is that I don't particularly trust the holders of those patents based on their own individual histories. If I don't trust them for what power they have now, then why would I grant them even more? That would be silly.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

We can't go back. An EMP knocking out power would be the end of us all.

Every nuclear power plant that relies on power to stay cool, would go critical and leak out into the environment. Do you know how many nuclear power plants there are in the world? In the USA alone?

We're screwed. There is no turn off the electric and go back to simpler times option. It would be devastating. Fukashima X 100's all over the world.

CdT

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

2) The noise-dampening, lie-detecting throat tattoo

You know what's annoying? All the background noise on the other end of the line when you're trying to talk on the phone. Sure, you could just go find a quieter spot to talk in, or you could try this noise-dampening electronic throat tattoo patented by Google for Motorola. That's a normal, stylish thing to have on your neck, right? Kind of like a necklace — only implanted on your skin, and with the ability to steal voices.

It does seem kind of one note, though… maybe if it had some other function. Fortunately, Motorola is way ahead of us. The tattoo can also use galvanic skin responses to tell when you are lying. Handy.

This one. It should be mandatory for all politicians.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Not long ago there was a thread here on ATS on the subject of whether society is heading in the direction of George Orwell’s “1984” vision. For what it’s worth, I threw in my 2 cents. Since the topic here seems to be in a similar vein, and since I’m too lazy to reinvent the wheel, I’ll simply include an excerpt here from a portion of my post to that thread.

The accelerating rate of technological development is something that has kinda concerned me a little for a long time now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-technology at all. To the contrary, I’m very much an advocate for the advancement of the sciences and technology. Back in the Stone Age I earned my B.S. in mathematics, and have since made a fairly decent living working in a variety of different disciplines within the computer industry. My entire career has been intimately tied to advancements in technology. It’s not technology itself, though, that concerns me so much as it is whether humanity will evolve quickly enough and have the wisdom to control the virtually limitless power it will bring. Many years ago I recognized pretty much 3 areas of research and development that kinda raised a few red flags in my mind: robotics, genetics and information systems technology. It always seemed to me that future joint ventures involving contributions from any combination of those 3 could potentially result in some pretty scary outcomes. I can clearly envision a time in the not so distant future when mankind will no longer have the ability to control the power within it’s grasp, and to a great extent, with the exception of a handful of wireheads and quantum theorists, won’t even remotely understand it. The potential for sinister exploitation and downright evil intent will be far too much for our greedy, self-serving species to resist. It’ll be like an overpowering aphrodisiac for every deranged, psychotic political leader we’ve elected to serve us. Anyway, one thing you can probably take to the bank is that technological growth will not be slowing down anytime soon, waiting for us to catch up with it, but rather will continue to accelerate for the forseeable future. IMO if mankind makes it for even another century or 2 without annihilating ourselves it will almost certainly be out of sheer dumb luck. I truly hope I’m wrong.

I regret being so negative, but it just seems to me the writing is on the wall. I can’t help but read the signs as all pointing in a very clear and certain direction, and it ain’t toward Disney World. In the end, it will be up to Humanity which road we take. I just wish I had a little more faith in our collective judgement. What a shame it would be if we choose to turn our world into a living hell, when we could just as easily have created a world of magic. What a dirty, rotten shame it would be...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

CirqueDeTruth

We can't go back. An EMP knocking out power would be the end of us all.

Every nuclear power plant that relies on power to stay cool, would go critical and leak out into the environment. Do you know how many nuclear power plants there are in the world? In the USA alone?

We're screwed. There is no turn off the electric and go back to simpler times option. It would be devastating. Fukashima X 100's all over the world.

CdT

The sun cant cause a WORLDWIDE power outage nor can a nuke exploded in the atmosphere. A .. or even a few.. nuke EMPs in the US wouldnt bring down the entire grid or every nuclear power plant.

Plus I didnt say "go back".
edit on 19-1-2014 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by netbound

^^^^^^^

(Readers, please click on the 'reply to name' above, and read this post.

netbound: Thank you so much!!!
I understand, and I agree. It's quite disturbing.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Aw shucks, wildtimes, thanks for the kind words.

And thank you for your thoughtful and informative thread. It's messages like the one you've sent out here that help keep the rest of us aware of the direction we're headed in. We sometimes tend to ignore those things that are staring us right in the face, and then end up regretting later that we weren't paying more attention at the time.

Thanks again, wildtimes. Great thread...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It doesn't really matter if you are so freaked out by these technologies that you "opt out" and refuse to use them. You'll die off soon enough and your grandchildren will grow up with these sorts of things as normal. Your reluctance is the same as your great grandfather proclaiming that automobiles are an expensive extravagance and they he would never buy one because horses are quite good enough, thank you very much! Advancing technology is never about you; it's about the next generation.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Advancing technology is never about you; it's about the next generation.

Yeah, thanks schuyler. My kids are 25 and 23. I worry about them - not myself.

Often I think I'd rather they don't have kids of their own. It scares me.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by schuyler

Advancing technology is never about you; it's about the next generation.

Yeah, thanks schuyler. My kids are 25 and 23. I worry about them - not myself.

Often I think I'd rather they don't have kids of their own. It scares me.

I understand. I have seven grandchildren and there's not much I can do for them. Their parents did not consult me whether they ought to be born :-) , but even if they had not been, there are plenty of people who will reproduce anyway, and they'll be in the same world of hurt. I'm not happy with how things have turned out already, much less the future. I Really hope I don't have to come back!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

CirqueDeTruth

Yup. It would take a miracle. Luckily, one is on the way!

Of course I'm referring to the Noosphere. I think its our only chance. We have to use technology to jump-start the Noosphere and hope that it can cut through the electromagnetic pollution. I think it can. When it does, every single human brain on the planet will know everything that every other human brain knows. We would be able to act as a single organism. Like a forest slime mold.

"Another example of collective consciousness at a primitive level comes from the remarkable behavior of a forest slime mold in search of a new feeding area. For most of its life, slime mold exists as a single-cell amoeba; however, when it needs food, it can transform itself into a much larger entity with new capacities. Individual amoebas send out signals to nearby cells until thousands collect together.

Eventually, they reach a critical mass and, without the aid of any apparent leader, organize themselves into an organism that can move across the forest floor. Upon reaching a better feeding area, they release spores from which new individual amoebas are formed. Under conditions of great stress, forest slime molds seem to be able to mobilize a capacity for collective consciousness so as to insure their own survival."

duaneelgin.com...

It's our only shot. Luckily, technology is being developed which might just give us what we need to Jump-start the Noosphere. Dr Persinger talks about it in this vid.

It might sound far-fetched, but it really isn't.

edit on 19-1-2014 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by BlueMule

Like I said, I'm thinking in 100 more generations (2000 years, roughly) - the human race MIGHT be in a place to use these 'discoveries and inventions' wisely - but right now, it just seems the whole thing will be a disaster - is already a disaster.

I long for small self-sustaining communities based on agriculture and exchanged 'trades' rather than a money-based system.

Too many greedy evil selfish people at this point.

Don't worry humans won't last 100 more generations. We are in the middle of an accelerating depopulation boom. It will only accelerate as technology increases. Once we have robotic companions who take care of all our needs, we will no longer find other messy humans, especially children as worth the efforts because we will be so spoiled and self centered. Eventually the singularity will come, actually it should be here in my lifetime. When that happens and technology can build and repair itself then humans will become obsolete. If we are lucky the tech will keep remaining humans as pets and gradually allow the extinction of the species.

So no worries, soon enough technology will rule us entirely and find humans to unreliable and dangerous to allow us to breed. TPTB and elite of the world will go right along with the rest of us, in fact probably sooner as they will be over pampered first and their "jobs" taken over by technological "rulers"

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

WhiteAlice

You should check out the indie film, Visioneers. It'd probably be right up your alley (and worst dystopian nightmare ever!) as it is a direct satirical shot at "corporate culture".

Somehow, I hadnt even heard of that one! Thanks for the rec, I love dark comedy especially surrounding this stuff. Because, lets be honest with ourselves, its ironic! Everyone blames everyone else for doing what everyone does. We blame a societal problem on people other than us, which also shifts the control to those very same people. Many people I speak to still are not convinced that the government is spying on us (??), and even if they believe it, they literally recap the buzzphrase "well, I am not doing anything wrong, so I have nothing to worry about."

Agreed on how the tech is used making a significant difference. The thing that I see immediately offhand is that I don't particularly trust the holders of those patents based on their own individual histories. If I don't trust them for what power they have now, then why would I grant them even more? That would be silly.

I think that patents and regulation are done as market control. Just like everything else, they say its "for YOUR protection," but how many things really are? I am much more of an open source kind of guy.
You get more brilliant minds working on the same project, and you can overtake any proprietary business within time.

I am far from losing hope, personally. There are some very clever people working for the true improvement of mankind, but like everything, it requires participation. That seems to be its achilles heel, which corporations have capitalized on for decades.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join