It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Creepy Patents That Will Make You Worry About the Fate of Humanity

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Okay, these are quite disturbing. This should be a bioethics problem - because these 'electronics' devices threaten to truly 'read our minds' - which is a scenario I think is dangerous...

1) Your Social Media Doppelgänger

First it watches you. Then it learns. Then, as far as your networks are concerned, it becomes you.

Icky.

2) The noise-dampening, lie-detecting throat tattoo

You know what's annoying? All the background noise on the other end of the line when you're trying to talk on the phone. Sure, you could just go find a quieter spot to talk in, or you could try this noise-dampening electronic throat tattoo patented by Google for Motorola. That's a normal, stylish thing to have on your neck, right? Kind of like a necklace — only implanted on your skin, and with the ability to steal voices.

It does seem kind of one note, though… maybe if it had some other function. Fortunately, Motorola is way ahead of us. The tattoo can also use galvanic skin responses to tell when you are lying. Handy.

How does it "steal voices"?

Electronics, to me and my not-physics-friendly brain, seem magic already - but, yes, this is starting to sound like "alien abduction stories". Makes the 'stories' about alien abduction and implants seem more - credible - kinda...

4) In the future, the TV watches you

Verizon patented this advertiser-friendly technology that combines a series of audio and visual sensors so that, while you watch TV, the TV can also watch you back and then send you tailored ads. So, just what behaviors will Verizon be looking for? According to the patent, it could be anything from "eating, exercising, laughing, reading, sleeping, talking, singing, humming, cleaning, and playing a musical instrument."

Oh my. Even when the tv is off??

I cover my PC cam with tape - and don't watch much "tv" - but - wouldn't it seem that one needs to 'sign up' for this, like with Pandora music suggestions?

6) No, this, is how much you're annoying your officemate

A patent filed by Microsoft in 2010 proposed a system to analyze digital communications — everything from video conferencing to emails to IM — between employees for behavior, gestures, ways of communicating, even clothing, that have been pre-flagged as bothersome. What would happen to the data next? It would be crunched to finally give a precise numerical value to the question of just how annoying your co-workers find you.

8) Your TV regrets to inform you that you have too many guests to watch this movie.

Just what is the future of media? Is it a roll-over to entirely streaming video? The rise of the PC as TV? Or is it corporations monitoring the precise number of people watching a show, so that it can fine us for exceeding the licensing agreement for allowed number of views? If it's the last one, Microsoft has the patent.

Go to the link above to read the rest. I guess my question is this: will we be 'forced' or 'tricked' into using these technologies?

I think I'd rather opt out. What a strange world it has become in 20 years time. I wonder if I live long enough: will I see 'drones' delivering packages? Personal jet-packs? Vacations to Mars?

When I think about how much things have changed since I was a kid (only 3 channels, and they didn't run 24/7 - no one knew what a remote was). Phone hooked to the wall - in rural areas they were 'party lines' - people had to share the service with their neighbors. Cars with no power ANYTHING, manual chokes, etc.

Imagine how it is for the centenarians - who lived during the time cars were invented, and how baffling the modern world would be to one of them?? Let alone the 'tribes' of people still living in 'isolation'. The movie "The Gods Must be Crazy" comes to mind.

I think humanity has developed a monster that has a life of its own with electronic media and info transfer. It's how Wall Street got so out of control. Where are we headed??

What do you guys think? Are these "GOOD" ideas? Or scary ones?

edit on 1/19/14 by wildtimes because: fix link

edit on 1/19/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Not that these aren't "scary" but there are tons of patents out in the world that may never come to fruition. Let's hope these anti-masturbation devices never get developed or used. They were from a long time ago as I'm sure people had the same sentiment then, "where is this world heading" as well.

As for these new patents...
It's not the devices that scare me, it will be the idiots that use them I will run from.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I opted out of pretty much everything already, it's kind of lonely out here, people frequently misunderstand me because I don't really speak " Fad Speak " or "New Speak?" or know what TV show they are talking about during breaks.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Publicly, the electronic tattoos are far more advanced than even that!

Look into them a bit more...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sometimes, I just don't even want to know anymore. Then I remember how disgusting I find that trait in other people. I love technology, I think as with everything it can be used for good or it can be used for evil. Only by arming ourselves with knowledge can we begin to decide how something is used. Your examples are usages I don't want any part of. Great digging WT!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Ew! Brutal torture devices...but then I saw this one (from your link):

In 1837, a health food nut preached sermons about the dangers of masturbation and soon invented a cracker to help ward off those dangers. If you ate your cracker in the morning, the blandness of the cracker was supposed to lower your lust all day so that you would not have "vital fluid" expending urges.

That man’s name was Sylvester Graham and his cracker, the Graham cracker , is an anti-masturbation practice many of us still use today.

Disregarding the ridiculous notion that a cracker could impact sexual drive, I only have one question: if it works so well, how does everyone get laid on camping trips?

LOL!!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

havok

Not that these aren't "scary" but there are tons of patents out in the world that may never come to fruition. Let's hope these anti-masturbation devices never get developed or used. They were from a long time ago as I'm sure people had the same sentiment then, "where is this world heading" as well.

As for these new patents...
It's not the devices that scare me, it will be the idiots that use them I will run from.

Those politicians that were suggesting certain sexual practices/positions need to be illegal ....
Bunch of friggn peepin tom control freaks

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I'm glad you read the link. Some of those devices look more like torture than prevention. That was the time period, I suppose. After doing research on the patents from your list, it looks like alot of them are to capitalize on a product that may actually make it to the market and be sold. Which is frightening.

I understand the convenience of technology, I really do. But at the same time, when will we allow it to control our every move and whim, just for the luxury of saving time, or money? Being that some things are inevitable when it comes to certain technologies, one begs to wonder...
Are we creating our own control?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Are we creating our own control?

Seems like it!

But is it Unwittingly??

It seems the 'connectedness' is already nearly beyond our control!
Plus, I really don't like how people are constantly checking their 'smartphones' during social events. Rude.
IMO.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

People are probably going to have serious neck issues in the next 10 years. It seems that everywhere I go, every single person is craning their neck down to stare at a phone. Mindlessly bumping into things, thinking they are NOT in anyone's way, and being extremely rude about it. I should put stock in neck pain medicines.

Look up! There is a world of wonder right above our heads and people all around us to talk to, yet all I see are those who continue to update their "fakebook status". As if that is anywhere near as important as life itself.

Good grief...what is this world coming to?
To top it off, these same people will be the ones camping out at the next Apple store or Microsoft cafe to buy the next, newest device that just so happened to make this list. Pathetic to say the least.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

This "connectedness" has been going on for a lot of years, sadly...

Its what Snowden was talking about, but I am not sure most people went as far as to think "what technologies would come next?" If you consider that, most of these things are a foregone conclusion long before the public is aware of them!

Electronic tattoos seem to be going under pretty much everyones radar though, so keep a good eye on what they do with it.
edit on 19-1-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Electronic tattoos seem to be going under pretty much everyones radar though, so keep a good eye on what they do with it.

Okay, Serdg....that's the second time you've suggested that.
Where do I look???

I don't want the 'tat' that taps into my bank account and identity - ever seen Idiocracy?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Sometimes, I just don't even want to know anymore. Then I remember how disgusting I find that trait in other people.

I know what you mean....
but...it's okay for us to "take a break" from inquiring from time to time.

Isn't it??

Sometimes I feel like I don't want to know, too. It's a bummer. I hear ya, Kali!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I have honest trouble laughing at that movie.. But then I get over myself!
I think its playing out in real time, actually, not some far-flung future!

Electronic tattoos: Pretty much anything you can do with an electronic circuit is available in tattoo form! The idea is cool, in some ways.

There are already talks about how it might lead to a future of telepathy and telekinesis. Its, imo, the first real step in transhumanism. Right here and now, they already have them embedded with wireless transmission, identification, vital sign monitoring.

A google search (ironic in this case) will tell you a lot about them. Of course, everything is touted as something which is nothing but good for humanity! One only has to look at how corporations treat the people to see where it is likely headed...

(start @ 3:30 min for specifics)
edit on 19-1-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

wildtimes

What a strange world it has become in 20 years time. I wonder if I live long enough: will I see 'drones' delivering packages? Personal jet-packs? Vacations to Mars?

edit on 1/19/14 by wildtimes because: fix link

Amazon is already using drones to deliver packages. It's called Amazon Prime Air.

I would provide a link to some info, but unfortunately the web filter here at work is preventing my access to the site. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

wildtimes

When I think about how much things have changed since I was a kid (only 3 channels, and they didn't run 24/7 - no one knew what a remote was). Phone hooked to the wall - in rural areas they were 'party lines' - people had to share the service with their neighbors. Cars with no power ANYTHING, manual chokes, etc.

Yeah things sure have changed since I was a kid in the '70s. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up in this decade.

I think humanity has developed a monster that has a life of its own with electronic media and info transfer. It's how Wall Street got so out of control. Where are we headed??

Oh don't get me started! Meh too late. :p

Lets hope this monster is just a caterpillar that will turn into a butterfly. Otherwise I think we might really be screwing ourselves in more ways than one!

The issue of electromagnetic pollution might be far more dangerous than we realize. Dr Persinger has discovered that our minds are all connected by the electromagnetic field of the planet, and has shown how pollution from things like Microsoft Windows and cell phones inhibit our abilities. We are robbing ourselves of our 6th sense and driving ourselves crazy as a result. We are flying blind into the future.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

The issue of electromagnetic pollution might be far more dangerous than we realize. Dr Persinger has discovered that our minds are all connected by the electromagnetic field of the planet, and has shown how pollution from things like Microsoft Windows and cell phones inhibit our abilities. We are robbing ourselves of our 6th sense and driving ourselves crazy as a result. We are flying blind into the future.

Yep. And screwing up the planet - poor bees and birds....

I guess 'adaptation' is the key - but, how long does that take??

Like I said, I'm thinking in 100 more generations (2000 years, roughly) - the human race MIGHT be in a place to use these 'discoveries and inventions' wisely - but right now, it just seems the whole thing will be a disaster - is already a disaster.

I long for small self-sustaining communities based on agriculture and exchanged 'trades' rather than a money-based system.

Too many greedy evil selfish people at this point.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

wildtimes

Like I said, I'm thinking in 100 more generations (2000 years, roughly) - the human race MIGHT be in a place to use these 'discoveries and inventions' wisely - but right now, it just seems the whole thing will be a disaster - is already a disaster.

Future generations will need to go beyond technology.

The way I see it, if the planet doesn't become fully empathic, there won't BE any future generations.

We have to put a psychic network in place of the technological network, so that we can dismantle the technology without losing our connectedness.

Then we would have a deeper, richer, safer more satisfying connectedness that is environmentally friendly.

edit on 19-1-2014 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I would have to say #6 would be something to think about. Not only does it happen at work, next is your day to day living and the people you hang out with.

What I always wanted to know is Why do people have to know everything about you? Now if you live in a very small town, if no info is present it somehow becomes created for you. You know what people I'm talking about, the ones who never say anything about them only have everything to say about another. Maybe it's Training, who knows.

No matter what you do, someone is watching anyways so I allow them! Make up stories; if questioned so it keeps them under my tows and not in my way. I've decided that what I do in real life is my concern. Hell, even my boss could not tell you anything about me except what he see and thinks he knows. Yet if at all anything he did say would be the truth in his point of view.

What ever happened to MYOB? Now its who can get to the top, stepping on tows and selling your friends out for gain. Trust has gone out the window, friendships are rare, and some people are just plain rude. It seems the ones on the top are lazy, controlable and do whatever they are told to do. People do not think for themselves anymore!

I'm starting to wonder if that someday could be an actually crime!

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I HATE the implications of what Im about to say..but :

The sun or strategically placed EMPs are probably the only thing that will reset this weird race we have to ease and pleasure. With our technological savvy can you imagine our true advances if it wasnt ease, pleasure, money and consumer driven? Could you imagine if the Teslas of the world were allowed to to their thing unhampered by corporate interests and BS?? A reset of biblical proportions would be horrific, but it is our only reset.. the true majority of people will never CHOOSE a reset of their own free will.
Since that is a remote possibility, we should prepare for the Idiocracy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join