It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lesson learned from open source...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Agreed, and with the poster above.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Good ol' Samuel Adams had it right when he wrote :

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

One visionary with a decent clue is good. Several is better, both visionaries and clues, because the message spreads much faster.

Now to get people to actually think...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MacroHawk

Now to get people to actually think...

Thats the hard part, seemingly immpossible at times. It seems like people just want to isolate whats wrong with everything rather then seperate whats good and whats bad and look at them both for what they are.

Its almost as bad as the new smiley faces.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

And then, even more difficult than just thinking about it, is actual participation. Thats the real tricky part.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

daskakik
First off, I don't recall anyone saying that you should give your software away.

Sorry, I am aware of that, however, IF I were to develop for pen Source then I would in fact be "giving it away". Despite the fact that I would still retain all Copyrights, people will ignore that and the terms of the licensing and claim the source as their own; it is simply the way people are.

Second, freeware doesn't always equal open source.

No freeware is not the same as Open Source; though Open Source is FREE.

Now, I think the point of the thread is that selfless teamwork can get results that are as good, if not better than, $$$$$$ bottom line projects, without the contributers feeling like they've invested blood, sweat and tears and that this can apply to things besides software.

ATS and other mediums based on user generated content are a good example of this.

Of course there will be situations where a tailor made solution is desired or more efficient.

It isn't an either or situation. There is a place and time for each.

Yes, I do see what you are trying to get at...and I'm going to tell you that, at least in the software world, there is almost no "selfless teamwork". The open source code available is, for the most part, fragmentary, poorly designed, and woefully incomplete. I try to use open source when I can to save myself time and my clients money; I usually end up creating my own original code.

The concept is good, all ya need are the "selfless" teams.

edit on 21-1-2014 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

tanka418
Sorry, I am aware of that, however, IF I were to develop for pen Source then I would in fact be "giving it away". Despite the fact that I would still retain all Copyrights, people will ignore that and the terms of the licensing and claim the source as their own; it is simply the way people are.

I'm sorry but you were talking about "your" software not your contribution to an open source project.

No freeware is not the same as Open Source; though Open Source is FREE.

Yes but you seemed to be dumping the shortcommings of propriatery freeware on open source software.

Yes, I do see what you are trying to get at...and I'm going to tell you that, at least in the software world, there is almost no "selfless teamwork". The open source code available is, for the most part, fragmentary, poorly designed, and woefully incomplete. I try to use open source when I can to save myself time and my clients money; I usually end up creating my own original code.

The concept is good, all ya need are the "selfless" teams.

It has already worked for more than a few projects. Just because they are things that you can't use doesn't mean that there are not a lot of people making good use of it.
edit on 21-1-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

daskakik
Yes but you seemed to be dumping the shortcommings of propriatery freeware on open source software.

You use much open source code? I look at all the time, most of it is virtually unusable for one reason or another. I recently fund a HTML Parser...it's reasonably good...only has a couple of shortcomings, and the work around was easy.

It has already worked for more than a few projects. Just because they are things that you can't use doesn't mean that there are not a lot of people making good use of it

And those would be?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

tanka418
You use much open source code?

Code?, no.

I have used quite a few open source programs.

And those would be?

Too many to list but a few that are probably the most popular are Linux, Apache, MySQL, Gimp, Blender, FFmpeg, ClamWin, 7-Zip, Drupal. There really are a lot.

I understand that it may not be what you need but people really do use them.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

daskakik

Too many to list but a few that are probably the most popular are Linux, Apache, MySQL, Gimp, Blender, FFmpeg, ClamWin, 7-Zip, Drupal. There really are a lot.

I understand that it may not be what you need but people really do use them.

Well lets see:

Linux is of course an open source operating system based on the Unix kernel.
Apache is a commercial, though open source, basic web server. Originally developed at great cost for Unix.
MySQL...a free SQL engine from the Oracle people. I've never seen the source code for this or any SQL engine. Would be nice. But, NOT open source.
Gimp is an okay graphics engine, but the GUI is a bit primitive.
Haven't used blender...
7-Zip is just free ware, no source code available from what I've seen.
Drupal...is prolly okay; it would probably be PHP (Linux answer to .NET). I use dotnetnuke for those kinds of websites. Basically the same thing, open source, C# language and .NET.

Yes people do use open source and freeware...I'm not saying that there aren't good open source libraries and applications, there are, I find and use them frequently. Helps to save my clients a wee bit of change. But, as I've already indicated the general rule with open source software is that "its not ready for prime time". Usually when I do find a decent application or library, it still takes several hours of my time to make it work.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

tanka418
Yes people do use open source and freeware...I'm not saying that there aren't good open source libraries and applications, there are, I find and use them frequently. Helps to save my clients a wee bit of change. But, as I've already indicated the general rule with open source software is that "its not ready for prime time". Usually when I do find a decent application or library, it still takes several hours of my time to make it work.

That is a bit different than what you said earlier.

"Not ready for prime time" is the tradeoff. Many are fine with that.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

daskakik
"Not ready for prime time" is the tradeoff. Many are fine with that.

I find the trade off is more typically "how long will it take"...at nearly $100/hr for custom software...it can't take very long at all to make to all work...simply isn't fair to client (especially if I can do it from scratch in less time). Then of course there is the satisfaction of having solved the issue without outside "help"; but then, there is that trade-off again...time.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tanka418

You're looking at it from that perspective and not from the perspective of those who don't even touch the code but can work with what others have done with it and offered to them freely.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Yes, I know what my perspective is: With me you get the "view" of One who actually produces the "code" or application. As opposed to the user, who in reality, has absolutely no idea of what went into the creation and production of that application or library.

Not knowing is a great blessing; knowing is a great curse!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

But your view is narrowly focused and biased and in the end does nothing to change the impact that open source projects actually have in the real world.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Well, I am "in the know" on the subject.

Currently, our culture, economy, and society are absolutely NOT set up to truly take advantage of an open source platform in many regards. Heck, one of the biggest issues is as you say; people dont know enough to contribute! Our education system has been woefully lacking in the US for quite some time. That is made up for, a teensy bit, by the amount of information and education openly available on the internet (like khanacademy, codacademy, etc.)

But, you brought up a very important point. The concept is very sound (when it works well, at least), however building those teams is very, very, very difficult. I have been trying to do just that, with very little success. No one wants to participate, really. I wasnt even asking for help, only to give feedback on technologies by using them. So, I have to try much different methods. Getting people to actually participate is next to impossible. It is extremely frustrating and discouraging..

What are ways that you can think of that might encourage this type of self-sufficient and independent attitude?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Serdgiam
Heck, one of the biggest issues is as you say; people dont know enough to contribute!

And those that know don't want to "give it away".

Getting people to actually participate is next to impossible. It is extremely frustrating and discouraging..

What is the project?

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

daskakik
And those that know don't want to "give it away".

Frequently, we only speak for ourselves. I want to give these things away, but in doing so it could easily be claimed as some large corporations innovations, and protected by a team of lawyers that I could never hope to afford. Then, it would only be released to the public in the most exploit-laden method possible, if at all.

Breaking beyond this paradigm is my intent.

What is the project?

Notice that my signature is labelled with an introduction to a project.

The technologies themselves wont be released on ATS. The people I have spoken with are chosen after long periods of different interactions. Its very, very large in scope. And to be clear, we already have a team, however, getting new people to participate is a struggle. Many think you are just working your way to somehow exploit money, or other resources, from them.

Its not really the topic of the thread though. However, the intent behind what is shared about the project here on ATS is to basically encourage an open source style interaction in our daily lives.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Serdgiam
Notice that my signature is labelled with an introduction to a project.

Will check it out.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I use Windoz only because sometimes there is soft that works with Win and it is easier to get new software, pure Ubuntu is installed on my laptop which is good for encryption and safe internet use. I trust open source much more than closed.

Open source has advantage that if someone stops development then another can continue development.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join