It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cash for Kidneys: Market for Organs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this. While this seems to be a logical thing something about it just doesn't sit right. Especially with the economic situation being what it is. Shall we just make things so bad that people are forced to sell their body parts?

Anyone following the economic news of the US will undoubtedly see where this is heading. People who are well off cannibalizing the body parts off people who are less fortunate. This should be stopped before it even begins.

Cash for Kidneys: The Case for a Market for Organs

In 2012, 95,000 American men, women and children were on the waiting list for new kidneys, the most commonly transplanted organ. Yet only about 16,500 kidney transplant operations were performed that year. Taking into account the number of people who die while waiting for a transplant, this implies an average wait of 4.5 years for a kidney transplant in the U.S.

Finding a way to increase the supply of organs would reduce wait times and deaths, and it would greatly ease the suffering that many sick individuals now endure while they hope for a transplant. The most effective change, we believe, would be to provide compensation to people who give their organs - that is, we recommend establishing a market for organs.

So what do you think? Markets for organs is OK or not? I see this as a way for the more privileged to exploit the poor once more. After all who would sell their body parts unless they were extremely desperate?

The system that we're proposing would include payment to individuals who agree that their organs can be used after they die.

Well if you're dead I suppose that's different and perhaps not quite so bad as long as donors or their families receive compensation. Everyone else is compensated so that seems the least that can be done. There is one final hurdle though.

Critics have claimed that paying for organs would be ineffective, that payment would be immoral because it involves the sale of body parts and that the main donors would be the desperate poor, who could come to regret their decision. In short, critics believe that monetary payments for organs would be repugnant.

Yeah, I believe this is an accurate assessment.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This movie came to mind after reading your OP:

Picture this: Desperate families going to the banks to get a loan so that they can replace little Johnny's defective heart.... What happens if little Johnny's parents can't afford to pay the bill ?!

*shiver*

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Exactly right.

Looks like Hollywood's already even written the script for this. Can you imagine having not only bill collectors but organ re-collectors coming after you?

For the most part though I mostly see this as a steady stream of body parts for people more well off than those required to sell them.

edit on 258pm3232pm112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I looked into becoming a donor a year ago it would be for whoever I could be matched with to help, and I am still considering it. You would think it would be pretty simple, but there are hurdles you need to jump through first which in my opinion were geared towards the idea you must be insane to want to do so. But once you clear that it is much better for the recipient because you can be matched with someone with less chance that their body will reject your donation and in some cases they do not even need to take anti-rejection drugs.

The idea of compensation for being a donor after death I don't see the problem although I can imagine Hollywood would come up with a plot where someone finds the list and goes on a murder spree to add donors to the market.

Back to reality. Considering everyone is supposed to have insurance under AHCA then whatever price will be paid by insurance companies so it wouldn't be just for the rich. I am not going to say the idea is bad simply because there are a lot of people suffering and just hoping that they will be next on the waiting list. I have a lot of sympathy for those people, and I think this could work if done in a way that could benefit all.

Even if it was done to where the donors medical bills were paid that would make a huge difference. Currently if I were to donate their medical would cover the procedure but I would still be paying the majority of the bills that came from my recovery. Right now I am not in the position to pay that so it has kept me from becoming a donor.

When I was talking with donor.org they said they were trying to get legislation passed that would take that burden off the donor which may be what they are actually aiming for in the article.

Current laws and regulations are structured to where possible donors like myself never meet the recipient, and it is against the law for the recipient to cover donors medical. It becomes a different matter when family donates to their own family which I am not sure on the specifics.
edit on 19-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Organ donation is a noble thing in my opinion, such as putting this on the back of your driver license so if the person dies their wishes are known. I also think if you're giving the gift of life to another person and the doctors are making a bundle then the donor or their family should be compensated even above the doctors.

As far as "Hollywood finds the List" I see a blockbuster here. Title: Organ Donor Termination. Fiction sometimes echos reality.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I completely agree with the sale of organs I do not see it as unethical. What is the right price to get someone to check organ donor on their drivers license? I however do not know about selling a kidney or part of a liver while someone is alive. Not because its unethical but because it would probably lead to people waking up in bathtubs full of ice water. You all know the urban legend. I am not an organ donor. I see no reason to be one. If there was a monetary incentive I might be. I just cant see anything unethical about paying someone for the right to use their organs after they are dead. They are dead. Good topic, makes you think.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
How many people die in road accidents or other ways that their remains have good organs intacted? Isn't it for the greater good if their organs can be used to help save someone else? Organs for sale isn't an option, some criminal elements may exploit the situation and force people to sell their organs, or even steal them, oh yes this has been done.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
It seems to me that the outright buying and selling of organs has the potential to lead us down a path to a very dark place.

I suspect that there are many people that would willingly donate their organs if they were killed in an accident. Authorizing that donation, (I'm talking about the Authorization on the back of driver's licenses in the US), just isn't a priority for them, or it's just something they'd rather not think about.

Maybe they need a little more incentive to address the issue, one way or the other. Perhaps it would be enough to allow a tax credit for people that give authorization to take their organs in the event of death by accident or mis-adventure?
edit on 19-1-2014 by TheConspiracyPages because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheConspiracyPages

I agree in fact we should have an opt out system in where If you do not want your organs used for good after death you must opt out. Then we wouldn't have stuff like this happen.
See my sig for more about donation..it takes 15 mins and can make many peoples lives better after our deaths.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

we should have an opt out system in where If you do not want your organs used for good after death you must opt out

That's a thought. Seems to me like this is a very solvable problem without resorting to the outright buying and selling of organs.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheConspiracyPages

Wales are bringing it in for a test and If it succeeds the rest of the UK may follow suit.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

How much for a brain?
I could use the money!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

For yours tuppence and a bag of toffees..If you are lucky

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Why are 95,000 people in need of kidney's? That is shocking.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Organ donation may be a noble thing and all, but anything that is not readily available to everyone who needs it is corruption waiting to happen if it turns into any kind of a financial transaction or compensatory thing.

I have considerable medical training compared to most, and have seen this corruption with my own eyes, and know that tissues and organs are harvested when they should not be at times.

Accept that when it is your time to die, it is your time, and someone else's time to die is their time as well.

We get harvested by the legal and financial industry as it is, and until those industries and ways of thinking are corrected, maybe organ donation, transplant and other novel and life-saving techniques can be made available to everyone fairly.

Until the system is fixed, my stuff is going up in flames with me or buried with me.

But then if I am dead, who is going to know if my organs are harvested anyway?, whether or not I opt in or opt out of donation of them.

Selling organs in the U.S. is illegal, but those who don't care about the law still sell them, and there are very few people who even keep track of the issue really.
edit on 19-1-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The scenario of a poor uninsured person being allowed to die in order to harvest their organs, and to save the money of providing medical treatment for them has already happened I am sure.

There is too much money to be made for it not to happen, and then the anti-rejection drugs that will be needed by the recipient cost a lot of mula, making most of the good aspect of receiving an organ donation pretty much a moot point.

I am against organ donation regarding population control as well, and then the reduced capacity of the recipient to return to being as productive a member of society as they were before they got sick.

The numbers do not add up any way you twist them.

I read something about Obamacare legislation containing an opt out policy for organ donation already, and because this legislation was written almost entirely by insurance companies, it is sure to be abused fairly soon. Uh, he don't have an opt out card boss, what do we do?.

I didn't see no opt out card, you didn't see this one in my hand either, make this disappear for me will ya ?.

In law the dead have no rights anyway, and I think that's going to come up as an excuse. How many people have the money to have their deceased loved one's checked for completeness before burial / cremation anyway?.....

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
While Americans debate and ponder, large-scale international organ trafficking goes from strength to strength.

In India, healthy donors are paid about Rs. 2,000 (about US$32.50) for a kidney.

The profits to be made by the traffickers are enormous.

The trade is global. There have already been cases in America.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

They weren't even being nice about it from those scars, being opened up like that, a "sub-costal" incision I think it was called, is really, really painful.

$32.50?, that is utterly ridiculous in compensation for reducing your filtration capacity by half, but those poor ignorant peasants probably don't know that, heck, as far as anything resembling any real medical knowledge or understanding goes, most people amount to poor ignorant peasants who know no better.

I remember reading about a few instances of people who were abducted, to later wake up in a bathtub full of ice and short a kidney. And them we have so many people just up and disappear, never to be seen or heard from again....

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

Thanks for your comment. However, the story about people waking up in bathtubs of ice is just an urban legend.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Is there a maket for slightly used penis's? Pay by the inch, millimeter or what?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join