It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans "hyper-aware" after week of shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I have to hand it to CNN; they have "sensationalistic" journalism down to an art.

A grocery store. A movie theater. A middle school. A high school. All seemingly safe places in our lives that in one week of unrelated gun violence proved anything but.

Source

Now, the article does go on to explain that Americans, for the most part, are more safe now than ever before... but it is just filler. Go to CNN's homepage and the headline reads: "How safe are we? Americans "hyper-aware" after week of shootings"... and that headline is what 90% will see, but never read into. Are we "hyper-aware" as Americans... are we afraid to go outside because the media thinks that we may get shot if we do?

What happens to all of the stories about guns preventing criminal acts?

Personally, I prefer to live in well armed areas...

At one time, I lived in what very may well have been the most armed area in the US... the west valley area of Phoenix metro. We had a storm there in 1996 that clobbered the northwest side pretty good... and cut power to nearly 1/4 of the NW metro area. Had this been a city like, say, Chicago... there would have been large scale looting at the very least, and riots not out of the question. Not Phoenix. It was very quiet... and very safe. Looters hate that sort of potential crossfire...

I know, when I walk out my door, approx. 1 person out of every 4 that I see will be carrying a handgun. Where is this fear that I am supposed to feel everyday? Why am I not locking myself in the basement in terror?

Far more shameful is how they end the article. They talk to a man named Bruce Shapiro, a victim of a mass stabbing in 1994... and end the article on this note:

Still, every new report of a mass shooting takes Shapiro back to the night in 1994 when a deranged man stabbed him and six others in a New Haven coffeehouse. "It was very fortunate that he had a knife and not a gun," he said. "I think about that every time I hear about one of these mass shootings."

I wonder, would Mr. Shapiro have fared better if he had a gun that night?

Now, keep in mind how our brains work when it comes to memory. The normal, non "Sheldon Cooper" brain tends to remember the first few and last few things that it hears, reads, sees... try it out. Give someone a long list of words, numbers, etc. and they will almost always remember the first few and last few... and miss 90% of the middle.

First paragraph:

A grocery store. A movie theater. A middle school. A high school. All seemingly safe places in our lives that in one week of unrelated gun violence proved anything but.

Last paragraph:

"It was very fortunate that he had a knife and not a gun," he said. "I think about that every time I hear about one of these mass shootings." The question of what makes a safe society is fundamental. "You can't shoot your way into a safe society," he said.

That whole "being safe" mess in the middle is the 90% that 90% miss...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The power mungers are afraid of being out gunned.

They are scared of anybody challenging the global dominance agenda.

The financial "wizards" are planning another worldwide money panic.

They want the odds in their favor.

The media's "call of duty" is to instill the messages.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
the only thing i'm hyper aware of is that it's the weekend and i usually refrain from looking into the kind of stupid things angry monkeys do to each other in middle schools, and high schools, and shopping malls etc ... unfortunately, the people at CNN and all the other national "ooze" outlets never get it and never will. the only thing that registerd for me recently with regard to gun violence is two cops holding down a kid with a screw driver and a third cop shooting him to death beacuse they "didn't have time for this". (don't know if the cop actually said that or not). and the city prosecutor coming forward and calling the cops "decent guys"!. the first question you have to ask is, why didn't they just let the fireman handle it, you know, distract the kid, throw a firemans coat over his head, and tackle him! gotta love fireman, they serve AND protect !
also, i'm hyper aware my whiskey glass is empty and my, umm, mirshaum needs to be re-packed

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ohhh and they are shameless... try this sometime: look at CNN dot commie or one of the other MSM sites, and only read the very first and last paragraph of every story... it can be eye opening at times...

(Incidentally, this memory trick also works as a great study technique... don't cram for hours, cram for minutes... then take a break. Cram for a few more minutes, take another break, etc... it's amazing how well it works.)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Wow, so CNN is talking about four whole firearm crimes in a country that spans 3.79 million square miles and has between 300 - 400+ million firearms. The statistical insignificance of that is amazing. I'm not minimizing the damage to the families just the lengths this pliant MSM outlet will dig to find something progressively correct.

Maybe they should go to Detroit and look around. Oh wait, that shines the light on something they don't want to talk about.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It hasn't exactly helped them, though...

Ratings:CNN's Morning Show Hits New Lows

Wouldn't it be ironic if our first cable 24hrs news channel was the first to fail...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This is a new tactic to disarm us . The Goy needs to be disarmed because if they know what their enemies are doing they could rise up and spoil it and set back Globalism again..

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Demonizing Guns and removing societies desire to own them is part of a 20 year plan. TPTB know it will take a while to accomplish it but they are very patient. My aunt and uncle are both hardcore Democrats and we were talking about this issue just the other night. They know quite a few Govt. folks. Nothing happens overnight but the plans are laid to get it done.

I would not mind all the guns being gone as long as they can also get rid of all the criminals, including those that run the US Government.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

There is a plan that called for the disarming of us that is at least 120 years old and more like 250 years old . This plan is just as alive today as it was when it was written . The overseers of this plan are the descendants of the authors .The NWO is the creation of them also .Ten or so of the richest Bankster families are at the head of this plan .And it is not going away .

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I would say those individuals and communities with the guns are the ones who are afraid...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I am thankful every day of my life that I do not live in a country where I have to worry about my 'safety'. I do not fear my neighbours, I befriend them.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I am thankful every day of my life that I do not live in a country where I have to worry about my 'safety'. I do not fear my neighbours, I befriend them.

So you're in the USA too?

The only people who might be afraid are old women.
But I think most of them are afraid of go'in to jail.
edit on 19-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by Kryties

So you're in the USA too.

Err, nope. If you look at my location under my avatar it clearly says Australia - albeit upside down.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Kryties

randyvs
reply to post by Kryties

So you're in the USA too.

Err, nope. If you look at my location under my avatar it clearly says Australia - albeit upside down.

Even better!

But seriously, it's not how you perceive it over here.
And more and more people are starting to realise .....

It's our gov't they need to fear more than anything else.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Breitbart either saw through this as well, or they are reading ATS

CNN Exploits One Criminal Gun Use, Ignores Thousands of Legal Uses

On November 8, Breitbart News reported various studies and surveys that estimate defensive gun uses (DGUs) at more than two thousand a day in America. In other words, the number of lives saved and property protected daily because of guns is tremendous. But a Google search for CNN's coverage of these defensive gun uses only turns up a July 30, 2012, story by David Frum, admitting that guns can sometimes be used defensively, then contending that gun owners "[live] in a fantasy about the security their guns will bestow." On the other hand, a Google search for CNN's coverage of the retired policeman who shot and killed a fellow movie-goer reveals numerous stories that ran during the last week, claiming Americans "don't have the ability to go someplace and be as safe as [they] once did" and quoting a movie-goer who is opposed to people carrying a "pistol" to a theater, among other things.

Makes one wonder...

Source
edit on 20-1-2014 by madmac5150 because: Looking for a shrubbery

top topics

join