Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Dangers of the New Age delusion

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Today at work, a colleague of mine, we’ll call him “Jim” told me something that really made me realise the dangers of the New Age movement. After three years of reading new age literature, mostly on websites like this one, Jim has finally lost it. Jim actually told me today that he went to the center of the earth the night before to receive teachings from some sort of Messiah in the city of Agartha and decided to treat his diabetes problems with crystals and some plants. As told by his newly found Guru.

Of course I would not start this rant on the New Age movement without digging further in its history and using this incident with Jim as the premise of what I am about to write here, that would be intellectually dishonest on my part.

The New Age has emerged in the 70s and 80s to form a new cultural paradigm , a program of " re-enchantment of the world " against the fall of communism and the refusal of the industrial era and the consumer society which is hyper hypocritical because the New Age has a more than lucrative abundant literature.

The New Age is a new global religious movement that has its roots in the 1960s , while borrowing elements from previous sects . If this return to the spiritual is characterized by an individual religious feeling , some of the New Age is organized in influential communities who do not hesitate to recruit followers through publications which abound on the subject of New Age.
It is characterized by universality and uniformity, organized into a patchwork beliefs. Hindu themes are particularly present , including the Oriental belief of past lives and reincarnation, the New Age designs an "invisible biology" mystical with the concept and belief in subtle energy body , which includes the aura, the etheric body and chakras, according to which the human being is made of energy and that the crystals and minerals have therapeutic virtues.

The New Age is basically focused on intuitions , reason and rationality and objectivity are absolutely banned and foreign to its doctrine . Scientific materialism , the notion of causality and the analytical and critical thinking are also definitely ignored and denied by the New Age, which prefers a holistic approach , and synthetic analog of the universe.

Not only has the New Age themes centered on Eastern religions, it is also interested in the paranormal and pseudo- science. It is from there that the deception of the New Age begins when it appropriates science and moves away from its context to make it an instrument of ideological propaganda to appear more credible and attractive to attract unsuspecting new followers.

Indeed, sciences such as quantum physics are improperly collected by the New Age which then shows its true face : a global cult movement. The total incomprehension of Quantum physics by the new age movement is what gets to me the most.
Here on ATS everyone has heard of the crazy and very stupid idea that the world would come to an end on the 21st December 2012, that was sectarian propaganda of the New Age , the sect claims to practice " channeling " to "dialogue" with so-called aliens and even the angels of the Christian world that would give messages to be contacted illuminated. Like I have read somewhere the New Age has created a caricature of its ideas. New Age believes in healing by psychological means, which could be a major dangers to children of such followers. Even the neo-paganism is part of the New Age movement . In fact , many modern beliefs are subsidiaries of the global cult.

New Age Love millenarian themes with the Age of Aquarius or messianic era with Christ. Moreover, for those who spread the rumor of the end of the world in 2012 based it on the Mayan calendar . the arrival of the planet Nibiru which collide with ear earth heralds the arrival of the new era. A load of non-sense taken from different sources.
New Age , because of its abuses , is the object of much criticism from various sources including me today.
For example, Native Americans are outraged against the new agers exploiters of Lakota spirituality which recover and away from its context, and that changes the spiritual and cultural value.

Others criticize the relationship between personal development and modern business management in order to have a docile team and the New Age reported its intention to infiltrate the professional training through a holistic integration of all individuals in a lively the same will and the same single thought. The New Age is imbued with many cultures but not even allow any analysis by an objective and critical distance , denying rationality , and its rejection of science and technology as they are evidence of its marginality in relation to epistemological criteria . like most spiritual movements , the New Age work as a quest for well-being totally subjective , but absolutely not by the acquisition of objective knowledge and refutable

The New Age is an attempt to merge the individuals in a sort of uniform mold, a synthesis which abolishes the principle of contradiction in dialectics , harmonization prevents challenge , since all fans all agree in a single thought through an ideal fusion of consciousness in a Whole.
I've had the opportunity to read literature New Age : it is now often presented as a book of science in appearance but is wearing a sophisticated scientific jargon that authors absolutely not understand and is intended to introduce the main themes of sectarian doctrine. Thus, in the book in question , it was about power, with its history ( Thomas Edison Faraday , etc. ) based on true facts of the history of science , but improperly and unlawfully mixed with various doctrines with particular dowsing , magic crystals, pyramids and waveforms , ley lines, the Hartmann network , Persian oriental mysticism. A human mind is interested in everything , curious about everything, but is not prepared to drive any critical discernment that can easily fall into the trap and become a fan without even knowing that he is the victim of an outrageous hoax. This is extremely serious if the youth has access to such literature. The New Age faith is a denial of rationality, logic and a disregard of critical distance .

Maybe some people think that I exaggerate criticizing the New Age, but I truly believe that I have valid arguments. For example, in one book of the new age literature, we learn, for example that a woman causes an aquarium to boil (with goldfish in it ) due to electrostatic discharge she would put in it. A thermodynamic calculation shows that this is not possible : an aquarium for a medium volume , it would take about 4 kilowatts - hour ( 3600 kcal ) of energy released in a period of a few seconds, which is impossible to provide by a human body , as I recall , consumes about 2000 kilocalories per day. But again, here comes the magic of the new age philosophy, one simply has to reply to this by saying an alien channeled its energy into her helping the water boil…Wake up people! Science as led us to incredible achievements and might one day bring Humanity to immortality, who knows. I’m thinking of Richard Feynman and how he would react to this quantum state of mind and other outrageous claims I have been reading lately…

I’m done.

edit on 22014Saturdaypm131Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:06:57 -0600America/Chicagov06 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You have only one valid point: you did "research", and reached a "conclusion"...and you've formed an opinion...and a singular one at that.

And as to its history? And free thinking? Were you there in the 60's? I was. Were you with us when we began embracing different ideologies, religions, foods and alternative lifestyles? I was there.

Your assumptions on us as a whole is so far off...because of your lack of understanding, it is laughable.

And all the long winded threading you post after "research" doesn't give it validity. BEING there and PRACTICING at least SOME of it...if only to try and understand....would give you that.

I was learning New Age thinking and beginning to practice some of it myself in 1967 at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

So Im asking you....exactly where were YOU in 1967? If you can say you were at least a teen and observing it 1st hand around you...I would accept some of your assumptions.

So far...its all based on books and videos and no personal experience or 1st hand knowledge. So, please prove me wrong.

In 1967...you were....?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
PS And as to your friend...he obviously had a from of break psychologically speaking. And not "caused" by New Age thinking.

I believe those delusions are yours...respectfully speaking.

MS

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You are trying to refute the entire arguments I have given on the only notion that I was not there to observe it first hand. This is like telling an historian that his entire thesis on a given event in human's history is irrelevant because he was not there to observe it. I believe that my arguments are of anthropological nature, therefore I will not tell you where I was in 1967 because I do not wish to fall into a straw man.
edit on 22014Saturdaypm131Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:41:13 -0600America/Chicagov41 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)
edit on 22014Saturdaypm131Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:44:01 -0600America/Chicagov44 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
People always tend to go for the "warm fuzzy" possibilities in reality, real or not.

Very few tend to look at the "ugly, wet, and dripping" probability of reality.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

It doesn't matter if he was there or not. You are diverting attention away from his arguments, which is a red herring.

Anyone can analyze New Age ideas, without having to have lived through the 60's.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Golantrevize

Personally, I do believe that there is more to reality, and I believe that consciousness is more important than we realize.

There may be nuggets of truth sprinkled throughout the New Age movement.
edit on 18-1-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I admire your concern for your friend but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Golantrevize

The New Age is a new global religious movement that has its roots in the 1960s , while borrowing elements from previous sects.

If you were to study comparative religion, comparative mythology, and comparative mysticism for a few years as I have, you would see that there are universal common denominators in world religion and myth. They are there because people have the same sorts of mystical experiences. These experiences inform religion and myth. Even if there were no "previous sects" for the New Age movement to "borrow" from, people like your friend would continue having the experiences that give rise to esoteric mystical philosophy and exoteric religion.

The New Age is basically focused on intuitions , reason and rationality and objectivity are absolutely banned and foreign to its doctrine . Scientific materialism , the notion of causality and the analytical and critical thinking are also definitely ignored and denied by the New Age, which prefers a holistic approach , and synthetic analog of the universe.

Wake up! Materialism is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Not only has the New Age themes centered on Eastern religions, it is also interested in the paranormal and pseudo- science. It is from there that the deception of the New Age begins when it appropriates science and moves away from its context to make it an instrument of ideological propaganda to appear more credible and attractive to attract unsuspecting new followers.

Wake up! It doesn't take a New Ager to have an interest in the paranormal. Learn the real history of parapsychology. Read the parapsychology college textbook.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You really can't ascribe the experience of your colleague to all of the New Age movement/religion/belief. Your colleague has apparently fallen in with some extremists and you can find these personality types in ALL movements/religions/beliefs. They are refered to as "fundamentalists" or "fanatics" or even "whack jobs", they're literally everywhere and they prey on the weak willed, weak minded, lost among us. They usually try to extort money as well. How much money has your colleague spent on this wisdom that will most likely kill him? Probably far more than he can afford, as is usually the case.

On the fringe of all belief systems lie cults, sometimes these cults garner enough interested followers or adherents to become a bonafide religion. Heck, even Christianity had it's struggles in "main stream" ways of thinking when it first emerged, but look at it now... Christianity dominates the world. Within Christianity you'll find the very same thing, but instead of crystals and plants (herbs), they will seek healing through prayer and belief, never seeing a Doctor for any ailment.

What I'm trying to say is simply that it's not the New Age belief itself that is to blame, it is the extremist whack jobs feeding this crap to your weak minded colleague (and most likely charging out the nose for said "wisdom")! There is much to be gleaned from the information this movement has brought to the public, but there is also much that should be avoided and common sense should be used in abundance when learning anything and everything new. My Great Grandmother had a saying that I think of often, "Everything is okay in moderation, just as everything is bad in excess."

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Interesting thread. The more modern roots of the new age movement can be traced a little further back than the 60's, however, to Theosophy & Blavatsky. Although as BlueMule basically pointed out, the watered-down version we see today contains" grafts" from the ancient "mysteries" as well.

edit on 18-1-2014 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The New Age movement is nothing new. Its just repackaged paganism and polytheism. The danger in New Age is the subtle mix of truth and lie. Your citation of the Mayan calendar is a good example...it hasnt ended yet. The date 12/21/12 was the final intercalary bench mark, not the end. The real end date is 9/16/2016, and it marks the beginning of the end of the age.

The New Age is a puppet religion reformatted by the Theosopical Society to lure in lost souls. Its the authors and framers of the New Age that herd the followers, the are the perpetrators of an international and transgenerational conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I appreciate your body of work and it is clear that you put a lot of thought into this.

I can only speak for myself herein, in that I suppose my spirituality most closely falls under the New Age title, if indeed it must be labelled. I believe that there is truth in all religions, wisdom can be found everywhere, yet I follow no group nor "Guru" myself. I am simply a seeker of knowledge that feels right to me. I take what resonates within my being (and that includes science as well) and leave the rest. I respect that others' beliefs may be different from my own, but no less important to THEIR truth, and that we can co-exist quite peaceably, as, that IS a choice. I expect to one such as yourself it would seem a "patchwork of beliefs" and truly, I rather delight in that description.
I certainly can't say that I read only one author, or follow a single doctrine of thought; and, you surely will find extremists within any belief system (though the term extremist itself can be quite subjective at times).

The New Age is basically focused on intuitions , reason and rationality and objectivity are absolutely banned and foreign to its doctrine .

One cannot lump the entirety of "the New Age movement" under one theology, one philosophy nor even one system of belief. As the movement is not a single path of belief, in and of itself, there is nothing "banned" (or any such umbrella term) that fits the whole. Most "New Agers" that I have met, are as varied in belief and differently read as humans can possibly be, with none subscribing to an exacting and same belief system...and that is the beauty of diversity. While I personally do not follow channellers or believed the world would end in 2012, I was/am certainly open to listening to those who do. The main similarity I find among the New Age community is a willingness to listen to others' beliefs whilst feeling no threat regarding their own.

I must disagree with this statement however:

The New Age faith is a denial of rationality, logic and a disregard of critical distance .

One can certainly discern such in their own opinion of others; I do not feel this is true for myself and believe that when you judge you compartmentalize others; thus only defining -yourself- as one whom judges and compartmentalizes.

reply to post by IrishCream

Beautifully stated, and i suspect that is an apt probability of what has happened to the OP's colleague.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

One cannot lump the entirety of "the New Age movement" under one theology, one philosophy nor even one system of belief.

..it starts to make more sense
if you look at the whole scene
like products being hawked
in a multi-national supermarket

starred the priest-guy's comments
spot on

keep an eye out for the latest space-christ, Russel Brand

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

The OP was quick to relate the entire New Age movement with each other, no matter which discipline. That was my 1st clue...that the OP overall, just based on the clumping together of it all...that he hadn't a clue. Therefore it should be taken as such: one person with an "opinion". And that's fine.

It cant be defined entirely based on his friend "wacking-out" over some small part of it. And his rant showed the limit of his understanding of it all. Referencing it in general as "delusional"...is in fact a "delusional-interpretation" by the OP and thread.

Being an experienced New Ager in a variety of its different disciplines as many ATS'rs here are as well, to lump it all in his interpretation of some of it representing all of it and us...portrays us all in the light of what happened to his friend...as being delusional. And that is unfair, untrue, inaccurate and based on limited experience in only a tiny portion of all it is and represents.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

The OP was quick to relate the entire New Age movement with each other, no matter which discipline. That was my 1st clue...that the OP overall, just based on the clumping together of it all...that he hadn't a clue. Therefore it should be taken as such: one person with an "opinion". And that's fine.

So you are just one man with an opinion as well and in no way representative for the New Age movement?

Anyway good OP, never believe anyone who says we live in One World or One Universe because it's just an old trick used in sects because it leads to the One who rules it all, including yourself. But by the time you get that it's a long way back home where we all have a single universe inside each of us ruled by the individual who dwells there.

It's just not like our brains are connected to eachother by the flesh and we all share what's inside, stimuli from other universes can be interpreted by the individual any way he or she wants. This is probably one of the hardest things to explain to New Age movement people who so badly want to believe they are not alone in this universe and all one sees are one's own interpretations of an object otherwise without meaning. Some also want to believe this because it means the other must change their emotional responses since we all live in the same world and rather than learning how to interpret themselves they demand newcomers to adopt the values of whoever is dominant/leading.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritspeak

The difference with me is I live by some disciplines, learned from others, and experienced its way of life, with ones that worked for me, or stopped being meaningful in my life and family's lives.

And that makes my statements from "experience". A vastly different thing than just an "opinion". Or what one verbalizes after reading some books or watching some YouTube videos.

There is learning from books and experiencing from life and practicing. I'd say one intensely outweighs the other. And thats my point.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: spell ckg

new topics

top topics

join