It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some states look at reviving firing squads amid shortage of execution drugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by zeroBelief

The reason I do not carry a gun? Were I to see that guy dragging the puppy down the street it would bother me not one bit to shoot him in the head. The only thing that keeps me from doing so is that in all likelihood I would end up being locked in a cage with the very people I despise. I would however have drug him out of the car and beaten him quite badly.

On a side note, I have nearly killed two gang members in two separate incidents. One of which is still in a vegetative state. Lucky for me the cops that showed up don't like gangsters either. Rabid dogs are just that, rabid.

You see, you alone are proving everything I said about there being a person that fits every job a society needs....

There's nothing bad about it....you're just proving it, that's all.....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

It is one to come to the defense of another (or defend yourself) with violence. It is totally another to take a job executing people. When I defend someone weaker than myself it is honorable. When you kill for a living it is disturbing.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Mamatus

It is one to come to the defense of another (or defend yourself) with violence. It is totally another to take a job executing people. When I defend someone weaker than myself it is honorable. When you kill for a living it is disturbing.

Must be nice to have such cut and dried templates with which to fit someone into. Especially yourself.

You really do make me laugh....I owe you a beer....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I am one of those rare guys who truly is one with his own self. I am aware of my failings and my strengths. I am an old school guy (48) and have no tolerance for thugs, criminals and those that would take advantage of anything or anyone weaker than themselves.

I kicked a biker in the back about a month ago after he hit a lady in the face. Lucky for me the rest of his club thought it classless as well and a guy that looked like Sasquatch only picked me up and held me against the wall to make sure I would not hit him again.

I come from a place and time where MEN are supposed to be MEN. One of my prime rules is that a MAN should always come to the defense of anyone weaker than themselves. Even if they lose.

BTW I like Corona.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Why should someone have to suffer an undeserved fate?

That is a bad choice of words...

Is it that i have a disregard for human life? Or that i regard human life so highly that one that takes a life without just cause deserves at least the same?

There is only one way to read that, that you think some of more worth of life than others and that you seem to believe that justice would be the only endeavor of man that would be perfect, this without getting into other consideration.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Mamatus

I am one of those rare guys who truly is one with his own self. I am aware of my failings and my strengths. I am an old school guy (48) and have no tolerance for thugs, criminals and those that would take advantage of anything or anyone weaker than themselves.

I kicked a biker in the back about a month ago after he hit a lady in the face. Lucky for me the rest of his club thought it classless as well and a guy that looked like Sasquatch only picked me up and held me against the wall to make sure I would not hit him again.

I come from a place and time where MEN are supposed to be MEN. One of my prime rules is that a MAN should always come to the defense of anyone weaker than themselves. Even if they lose.

BTW I like Corona.

I never once said I disagreed with your personal credo.

I actually practice the very same thing.

I merely suggested that there are those in our society, who have psychological conditions that would allow them to act in a manner as an executioner without suffering as a result...just as we've almost always had executioners.....

And, you'd be surprised how many of these people you encounter every day....and would never...ever...guess.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
^^^And, you'd be surprised how many of these people you encounter every day....and would never...ever...guess.

Yes, Sadly I would. It is part of why I involve myself as little as possible with most of humanity. Other than my business where I have to deal with people I stay the heck away from them the rest of the time.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Because of 800+ years of the rule of law, the Bill of Rights, the presumption of innocence, the prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment" and the crazy notion that we -- as a civilization -- are *better* than our worst offenders.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit
reply to post by Liquesence

Forced Drowning would be cheaper for most states . Everyone is at least near a body of Water .........

But the point is not what is cheaper, but what is more humane.

Forced drowning certainly is not.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

LOL , you are aware of what Sarcasm is , right ? The Title of this Thread says it All......

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We are the worst version possible of an intelligent and super connected society.

We have to many educated idiots running around.

How do we get out of this paradigm?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

onequestion
We are the worst version possible of an intelligent and super connected society.

We have to many educated idiots running around.

How do we get out of this paradigm?

We could start by letting me breed with the chick in your avatar.... We could build a super race!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Me first.

Second.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

shaneslaughta
These people are on death row because they are cold callous murderers and such.

So according to you the world is a better place by you becoming the cold callous murderer?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

nitrogen axphixiation : proven in animal trials - fast , painless and efficient

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Good thread. I've been thinking about this lately.

Perhaps (given that capital punishment has NOT gone away; and I, too, am 'anti-death-penalty') it would be prudent to consider all possible ways people die. One thing I don't understand is how there's a difference between the way our companion animals are "put down" - and how 'people' are "put down." I've had to make that horrible decision 3 times; each time the vet assured me that no, it isn't painful. Most recently, my geriatric cat was euthanized. Ketamine first - sedative - dilated his eyes to completely open, his little pink tongue hanging out, and I spoke to him while I 'watched' his 'consciousness slip away.' Then a lethal dose of regular anesthesia.

Why is it that lethal injection on humans is not that simple? It's been an issue for decades now - that they really DO feel pain, but are paralyzed and can't express it.

People OD every day - from using street drugs - slip into a coma and then drift away. Or on OTC drugs, like sleeping pills, downed with a bottle of vodka. Lie down, never wake up.

I also thought about hypothermia - it is reportedly painless, as Zero pointed out. Then there's the issue of 'slow' or 'very fast' hypothermia. Flash-frozen?

What about putting them on an uninhabited island somewhere? All of them, together. One where they COULD survive if they are smart and lucky, resourceful, and cooperative. Nowhere near "civilized" society, just having to figure out how to survive - like on "Castaway".

Or (and this is my new favorite) - send THEM to Mars - the one-way ticket thing. Or, send them up in a shuttle or one of the unmanned 'Progress' ships that bring supplies to the ISS...
and jettison them before unlocking the airlock to unload the supplies. That would be instantaneous death, right?

Now, given that Mars' first 'settlers' will

a) probably never go, since it's just a 'Reality Show' now - that will become a protracted "simulation training" sequence, and the participants will be the new Kardashians and we'll be stuck with them

or

b) be actual scientists/astronauts who have the smarts AND the skills to make 'living pods';

let's go with (b). Let the 'colony' be built, then ship death-row inmates to Mars. Far, far away - no chance of return.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

How are we people, and the thing we understand the least is ourselves?

Theres got to be some kind of way of scanning someones brain and understanding whats wrong with them and then figuring out a solution from there.

Eventually the idea of revenge and justice has to fade away and we move past these modes of thinking.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

They can do a test for psychopaths but the problem is even If you have these traits and that type of brain it doesn't mean you will become a killer.
In fact psychopaths do very well in normal life many becoming business leaders or politicians.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

What i mean is to see if its fixable or its enviornment related. If you have a broken brain cya later, but if your problems are issues that need to be worked out then we need to figure out how to help people. Our barbaric system of incarceration has to stop its sickening that we have the problems that we have in todays culture with the amount of available information everyone has access to today.

We need to really get our # together.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

That is why my ex company (mental healthcare) trawled the prisons looking for mentally ill folk, which was a good thing because the people then got the right treatment instead of serving time and not getting better.
The police in London are trying out a scheme where a mental health nurse is working at police stations to find these ill people sooner and getting them help instead of just locking them up.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join