It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Starts Televising Sunrise d/t Smog On Giant Digital Screens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
China starts televising sunrise due to smog
www.nzherald.co.nz...

The smog has become so thick in Beijing that the city's natural light-starved masses have begun flocking to huge digital commercial television screens across the city to observe virtual sunrises.

The futuristic screens installed in the Chinese capital usually advertize tourist destinations, but as the season's first wave of extremely dangerous smog hit - residents donned air masks and left their homes to watch the only place where the sun would hail over the horizon that morning.

Commuters across Beijing found themselves cloaked in a thick, gray haze on Thursday as air pollution monitors issued a severe air warning and ordered the elderly and school children to stay indoors until the quality improved.

The air took on an acrid odor, and many of the city's commuters wore industrial strength face masks as they hurried to work.

'I couldn't see the tall buildings across the street this morning,' said a traffic coordinator at a busy Beijing intersection who gave only his surname, Zhang. 'The smog has gotten worse in the last two to three years. I often cough, and my nose is always irritated. But what can you do? I drink more water to help my body discharge the toxins.'

The city's air quality is often poor, especially in winter when stagnant weather patterns combine with an increase in coal-burning to exacerbate other forms of pollution and create periods of heavy smog for days at a time.

On Wednesday, China's commercial capital, Shanghai, introduced emergency measures, allowing it to shut schools and order cars off the road in case of severe smog.

Smog in China prompts authorities to display sun on giant screens
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Facing the worst air pollution levels in months, residents of Beijing have turned to massive digital screens to see the sun setting through the thick smog.

The screens are usually used to promote tourist destinations, but have been re-tasked because of pollution levels more than 25 times higher than what the World Health Organisation (WHO) judges as safe.

Here is a clip based on this news story:

Here is a clip of Chinese citizens explaining their symptoms on any working day...now, ask yourself, aren't you glad you don't have to worry about your air pollution where you live?

edit on 18-1-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: added video

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think that the amount of pollution spewing in China is a sign of negligent government and leadership. I cannot believe leaders around the world haven't condemned China for their contribution to "global warming"...oh wait, many countries buy cheap products from them...that's rrrrrrrriiiiiiight.

By getting China to produce products at a real cheap price (labour and items) in order to make profits in their own countries, I guess world leaders don't really care how much pollution goes on in China.

Now I can see why so many Chinese want OUT of China and INTO Canada, US, and parts of Europe!

Sad to see the climate change due to not utilizing better energy alternatives to make products....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Humph, IMO all that smog is nothing less than they deserve. Short cut every known pollution control known to manufacturing and you get lots of bad air. People get the Government they deserve.

No worries though as humans could not possibly affect global weather conditions. Just ask any dumb hick wannabe armchair scientist or corporate polluter.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

That is seriously one of the saddest things I've ever seen in my life, no joke. It reminds me of those movies where people living in a space ship have those windows which are actually monitors and they display images which create the illusion that they aren't on a space ship. But in this case it's even worse because they aren't on a space ship and their inability to view a nice sunset is self inflicted and could be fixed if humans weren't so greedy.
edit on 18/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Mamatus
People get the Government they deserve.

In a dictatorship/communist government people have no choice who to vote on....if China were a democratic society, maybe we would see change happen. Moreover, with the amount of people living there, the government HAS TO look for cheap ways to produce otherwise it will go belly under in its economy and will fall back to a third world country.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is like bad sci-fi come to life.

seriously.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

The Chinese People outnumber their leaders thousands to one. They want change they should revolt. Actually they are revolting. There are over 200 car bombings this year in China, one of which was right outside Party Headquarters.

With any luck the poor Chinese people will get the Government they deserve someday.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Mamatus

The Chinese People outnumber their leaders thousands to one. They want change they should revolt.

The Chinese government has a very powerful military....their ammunition outnumbers the people thousands to one. If they revolt, they are as good as dead...just saying...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
OMG! children are being born and raised in this. They don't know any better. I can only imagine what it must be like for parents in China. I Suppose at some point, you just "turn off" in order to protect yourself from the guilt.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We sit here in our modern world. Thinking we are kings over all that we survey while burning fossil fuels to maintain our comfort zone. Day in and Day out all day everyday 24/7 pumping ton after ton of garbage into the air as if it doesn't matter. The Western world started with the industrial revolution. First it was mass burning of coal and now it's oil. Either through a giant factory smoke stack or out of our tail pipes one way or another we continue to pump toxins into the environment.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73814dd7a611.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcc73da299e7.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/196232227f5d.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e46c812bb33.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MALBOSIA

I Suppose at some point, you just "turn off" in order to protect yourself from the guilt.

Good point, I think the same thing applies to many aspects of western life as well. For example the ever lower quality of food products or the fluoride in the water. Many people just "turn off" and go into denial about the health threats which cheap processed food and fluoridated water pose. They would rather think "as long as its cheap and fills my stomach and quenches my thirst then it's good enough for me". And it slowly gets worse and worse until we're basically eating cardboard and drinking toxic waste material scraped off of industrial smoke stacks. It's the slowly boiling frog at work, 100 years ago China had absolutely crisp clean air, I bet the people living back then would never in a million years tolerate this level of air pollution without rioting the streets and overthrowing the government.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I don't believe you, this is just unreleased HD scenes from the movie "Blade Runner".

Great find, it's quite eerie. I wouldn't be able to stand in awe as a digital sun took it's bow for the night. I've seen it far too many times on the TV, games, and other digital media for it to be of any interest. I would however enjoy watching people enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Auricom

I don't believe you, this is just unreleased HD scenes from the movie "Blade Runner".

Great find, it's quite eerie. I wouldn't be able to stand in awe as a digital sun took it's bow for the night. I've seen it far too many times on the TV, games, and other digital media for it to be of any interest. I would however enjoy watching people enjoy it.

Okay, if it is a cut scene from the movie (where pirating in China is legal), you prove to us that this is not an advertisement for selling this movie and that they aren't trying to remind Chinese what a sunrise/sunset looks like due to smog blocking the view of the stationary fireball in the cosmos.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'm not sure if you caught my sarcasm or not in my previous post. Hard to tell one way or the other online.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

I used to recycle everything as I thought I could contribute to helping the planet. Then the internet came along and I saw images like those above. Needless to say I no longer recycle everything as it just does not matter as much as I thought it did.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I wonder how long will it be before they need T.V screens to view T.V screens of sunsets because the smog has become too thick?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
China once upon a time decided that environmental laws were intrusive on profit margins. They knew they could draw industrial business from around the world with cheap labor and no pollution regulations and they were right. Now they manufacture everything for the entire world. No worries though, they've seen the error of their ways just like the US did, now they have many regulations on the table and should they enact them the world will move on to India. When India looks like Beijing in 20 to 30 years, the world will move on to Africa. Maybe by the time Africa is doused in smog the Koch brothers descendants will have successfully taken over the US and we can finally bring factory jobs back home.

You cannot factor environmental impact out of the cost of business. Eventually there will be no where left to run.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Maybe by the time Africa is doused in smog the Koch brothers descendants will have successfully taken over the US and we can finally bring factory jobs back home.

the padasha emporer will send the sardakaur troops to arrakis

the spice must flow!

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The story is a hoax.

See here

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It actually looks beautiful and cheerful and maybe they should do it because the smog IS real.

The ad plays every day throughout the day all year round no matter how bad the pollution is. The photographer simply snapped the photo at the moment when the sunrise appeared.

www.techinasia.com...

top topics

join