It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of Fake Syria Propaganda – Another Campaign Exposed!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I agree. Too bad Saudi Arabia, Turkey and, especially, Iran feel that Syria is theirs to fix.

Turkey (NATO) is a source for arms and fighters. Glad to see you mention that nation. You think Turkey (NATO) would be allowed to do anything without US approval? Indeed thats why Turkey is the primary source of arms training and fighter incursions across Syria's border.

Most people aren't aware of Turkeys involvement directly because they are a member of NATO.

North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The US being the head and Europe members to defend against the defunct Warsaw Pact. Turkey is a member of NATO but not the EU… interesting that.

Turkey is home to an armada of american bases, air assets (used extensively throughout the region), Patriot missiles bristling along Syrias border, training camps for "Jihadists" to infiltrate Syria, etc.

Oh yah, theres this map. You tell me about US involvement. Yes, Meddlesome Barbarians…

www.antiwar.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thank you for the continuous bumps and thread promotions

As members have pointed out you are going around in circles and making your agenda quite clear while avoiding the purpose of the thread, and when you do actually focus on the thread you do it in a way of false portrayal, kind of like those who made the fake meme. And your obsession with ME is quite flattering.

You have accused me of not answering your questions but you have not answered mine when I have answered your questions up to the point where it became beyond ridiculous.

Last but not least I find it amusing that you accuse me of ad-hom attacks when you have vigilantly done so yourself.

At this point it is beyond comedy...

The reason I treat you like a child, is because that is exactly how you have behaved.

Maybe next time I will include a glass of milk with your cookie

LOL

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You have accused me of not answering your questions but you have not answered mine when I have answered your questions up to the point where it became beyond ridiculous.

Really? Please present a numbered list of all the questions you have posed of me on this thread and I will answer them all at once. Then you can try answering the questions I have posed of you. If you cannot recall them, I would be happy to repeat them.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You think Turkey (NATO) would be allowed to do anything without US approval?

If they felt their own national security was at risk, of course they would. The worst that could happen is that they would be kicked out of NATO, which they would miss about as much as not being let into the EU.

Indeed thats why Turkey is the primary source of arms training and fighter incursions across Syria's border.

The incursions are mutual, yet another reason for the US not to get involved.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You think Turkey (NATO) would be allowed to do anything without US approval?

If they felt their own national security was at risk, of course they would. The worst that could happen is that they would be kicked out of NATO, which they would miss about as much as not being let into the EU.

Indeed thats why Turkey is the primary source of arms training and fighter incursions across Syria's border.

The incursions are mutual, yet another reason for the US not to get involved.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Way to take the high road, glad you didn't stoop to his level. It would have been terrible if you'd responded to him with some immature crap in your own thread.

Just remembered why I don't post; everyone is as bad as each other.

Am I the only one here that thinks the starring system on here is counter-productive? Everyone is too busy fishing to discuss.
edit on 20-1-2014 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I thought you may also want to have a look at the Bollywood performance to.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

OP, I'd like to ask why you think the picture in your post is "propaganda"?

It is a staged picture, yes, but how is it propaganda? Who's trying to win over who with this picture? If there was something in the picture that said "(insert faction) killed this kids parents in Syria", then it is propaganda.

This is just a staged picture, people may use it to illustrate the horrific situation in Syria, but this picture is not propaganda unless it is being used to sway the opinions of the viewer to a particular ideology or cause.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

The method in which it was portrayed via social media makes it propaganda.

Do you disagree?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

I don't know, I haven't seen it portrayed in social media, can you link me some examples?

I mean if somebody is posting this picture and saying "Look what the FSA did" then I would agree, but if it's just an emotive plea to make people aware of what's going on in Syria then no it is not propaganda.

edit on 20-1-2014 by seabhac-rua because: bad spelling as usual

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In my opinion, your intentions to derail this thread were very obvious from your very first post, but you lost all credibility when we arrived to the post I have just quoted.

The main reason I have ignored some of your questions is because most of them are off topic deflections with no relation to the thread. I answered several of your questions, as tedious as they were, yet you failed to answer any of the questions I posed. I am not going to rewrite every single question but you can start by PROPERLY addressing this post as your response to it was irrelevant to the actual content.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1/20/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: quotes not working, added post link

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I have seen it on several FB and twitter feeds...you can start by clicking the link at the bottom of the OP where they also also acknowledge this...the Uncle's reaction (the photographer) reinforces this fact as well.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Ok, I just want you to explain to me how this is propaganda?

Propaganda is a tool used to mislead people and steer their opinions and views. Unless you can show me how this picture is being used to sway the opinions of viewers to sympathize with or support some cause or ideology then I'm sorry it's not propaganda.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BelowLowAnnouncement

Look, it is what it is. I provide people with the respect that they deserve, and respond to them in similar manners. If someone is going to continuously act a certain way, sometimes the only way to relate to them is to mirror their mental capacity.

I have agreed with your posts in this thread thus far except for this one.

I must point out that you are now guilty of doing the same thing as you have accused DJ and I of doing.

No hard feelings but I just had to point out the hypocrisy which your most recent post has emitted.

Don't worry, I accept the fact that I have "stooped to their level", but I feel no shame as it was necessary.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Unless you can show me how this picture is being used to sway the opinions of viewers to sympathize with or support some cause or ideology then I'm sorry it's not propaganda.

Well, as stated in the OP, and the link that is provided at the bottom, this is exactly what has been done.

Here is a link to the OP just in case you missed it... www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am not trying to be rude but in my opinion, it doesn't get any clearer than that...especially if we use the definition you have provided ( I agree with the definition so I am not arguing that your definition is incorrect )

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

hey I'm not judging you, seems its just the nature of the game, I'm just saying I don't like it. Its impossible for me to point that out in this thread without some level of hypocrisy with regards to what I've said but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. Anyways we can all agree this could have went better, I'm just going to leave this thread because I've said my piece and anything else is just fuel.
edit on 20-1-2014 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I read your OP, and the link.

I think that just because the photographer himself calls it propaganda doesn't mean it is, he wasn't too happy about his picture getting hijacked which is fair enough.

When I view this picture it simply evokes a feeling of sadness, it does not make me hate Assad or Jihadists, it doesn't make we want to join some political movement etc etc.

I'm just saying, a fake picture only becomes propaganda in my eyes when somebody tries to use it to their advantage, which is, so far, not what I've seen.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I have personally seen pro Assad, and pro "rebel" media pages use this image to paint the other side in negative light. There were several of them going around with different captions many in Arabic which I had to have someone translate for me as I do not read or write Arabic.

In the hopes of illustrating some specific examples I have done a quick search and it appears that they have been taken down since the incorrectly portrayed imaged (hoaxes) have been exposed. All I can find are reports of this exact image, and its incorrect portrayal being correctly resolved.

I know it's difficult to believe a stranger on the internet, but I have seen various forms of this "meme" and so have many others. It was it was a big enough deal where it got so popular that it was worthy of "mainstream news". That alone in my opinion is enough to consider this "viral" enough where it was circulating in various forms. I am not making this up...

I am surprised that no one has said that the kid and uncle from Saudi Arabia are made up yet.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Corruption Exposed

I am surprised that no one has said that the kid and uncle from Saudi Arabia are made up yet.

Hey, this is ATS, I can guarantee you there are many on here who would hold that view.

I guess if something goes viral on SM sites then sooner or later an MSM outlet is going to run it. As you point out, all there needs is a caption to be added to this picture and then it does become propaganda, I was just using your image in the OP as reference.

edit on 20-1-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Corruption Exposed
In my opinion, your intentions to derail this thread were very obvious from your very first post, but you lost all credibility when we arrived to the post I have just quoted.

The main reason I have ignored some of your questions is because most of them are off topic deflections with no relation to the thread. I answered several of your questions, as tedious as they were, yet you failed to answer any of the questions I posed. I am not going to rewrite every single question but you can start by PROPERLY addressing this post as your response to it was irrelevant to the actual content.

edit on 1/20/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: quotes not working, added post link

If that was your question, I have already answered it:

Let me be more specific: do I approve of false portrayals? That depends what you mean by "false portrayal." Do I object to a photographer staging a scene with actors? No, provided it is not presented as documentation. Is the photograph you posted being portrayed as documentation of an actual incident?

"Would you like it if someone found one of your childhood pics and put it all over the internet and used it to portray you as something that you are not? "

No. Is that the only issue you have with this photo? Copyright/breach of privacy?

"It is different because these are not actors in a commercial...did you really ask that question?"

Once again, you answer a question with a question.

"No I am not trying to imply that there are no orphans in Syria, please point out where I have done so."

Calling a photograph of a purported war orphan a "fake" strongly implies that such a case is improbable. There are so few orphans in Syria they had to "manufacture" one. Don't you agree that is a possible interpretation of your post? In any event, I can't help but notice that you do not use this opportunity to state unambiguously that there are war orphans in Syria.

"And yes, if you actually read the OP you will have no choice but arrive to the conclusion that this picture is very misleading, do you not consider this picture to be misleading in the manner it has been portrayed? "

It is not nearly as misleading as the title of your thread.

"No it is not "as though" that I am trying to convey that there is no civil war in Syria, in fact, this post highlights the FACT that there is a war going on in Syria and people are using the internet to spread fake propaganda...kind of like what you do here on ATS on a daily basis. "

Since you seem to think answering a question with a question is appropriate, could you provide an example of the "fake propaganda" I spread here on ATS " on a daily basis?"

Well, as you can see the answers you do deign to provide and the questions you raise seem to show a complete lack of compassion for the horror and suffering of war. Somehow, a staged photograph raises your ire more than actual death and destruction. Now that I have, as promised, answered all your questions: Your turn.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join