It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMF and UN officials killed in Kabul restaurant attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
21 people killed in attack in Kabul.

A senior IMF official and four UN employees were among 21 people killed in a suicide bomb and gun attack on a restaurant in Kabul, officials say.

Wabel Abdallah, the head of the IMF's Afghanistan office, and the UN civilian staff died in what UN chief Ban Ki-moon said was a "horrific attack".

Canadians, Lebanese, Britons and Americans were among the 13 foreign victims; the other eight were Afghans.

The Taliban said they carried out the attack late on Friday.

IMF and UN officials killed in Kabul restaurant attack

This has been on the wire for a few hours now but I didn't see it posted.
edit on 18-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

For Canadians, it will probably receive a bit of attention since two CAN nationals were killed in the attack:

(from Canadian source)

he death toll from a Taliban attack on a Kabul restaurant popular with foreigners and affluent Afghans has risen to 21 people, officials said Saturday, in the deadliest violence against foreign civilians in the country since the start of the war nearly 13 years ago.

Two Canadians were among the foreigners killed in Friday's attack.

They were not Canadian government officials or members of the military. Citing privacy concerns, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said no further information on the deceased Canadians would be made available.

www.cbc.ca...

Since IMF and UN officials were killed in the attack, obviously the tin-foil lightbulb turns on. Anytime people high ranking in the IMF or even the UN, this makes you wonder if it's a direct assassination attempt. Of course, being carried out like this it's easy to chalk it up to some random attack. (Gee whiz, that Afghanistan-a-dana-ding dong for you… )

Wabel Abdallah, the head of the IMF's Afghanistan office,

I'm a little interested in who Wabel Abdallah is and exactly what they've been up to the last little while. You?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Why do they insist on playing like Afghanistan is anything but what it is? It's a war zone. It has been a war zone non-stop and continuously since the 70's with civil war when they aren't fighting outsiders and it'll probably BE a warzone for generations to come. Like the saying goes.....Afghanistan is where Empires go to die.

The UN can join the list if they really want to play fantasy land. Better people than that, have come and gone.

edit on 18-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
IMF is evil so the only good IMF'er is a dead 1. Sorry for the rest of the victims they were probably innocent. ... or not. Only Jah knows

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

Something tells me you wouldn't feel the same way if an IMF Official decided to walk into a place you happened to be and that was the moment someone with bad intent chose to do something.

Of course, if it went like this story, there wouldn't be much to feel at all...eh?

I think Satan himself could have been in there gnawing on a Fudgsicle and it would still be a suicide bomber murdering innocent people in a public place.

Just my opinion tho.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If my time is over ain't nothing much i can do about it anyway. Good thing i don't believe in death hey
EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Any violence is tragic, but I hardly see how this belongs in "Alternative News".

Is this a conspiracy website or what?

Stories like this can be found in a few thousand other mundane news sites.

Here's a conspiracy for you - is posting stories like these on this site an attempt to distract/thread drift from the real conspiracies?

PS - why does someone posting threads on a conspiracy website use such a denigrating term as "tin foil"? Does not such a term self-apply to any posting on, reading this site?

edit on 18-1-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Its a dreadful thing to admit to but I cannot help agreeing with you about the IMF individual that died. But I do think that the IMF, the bankers and all their elite supporters are every bit as bad as the dinosaurian Talibanites, because they are in many respects the opposite site of the modern bankers - in short the opposite side of the coin.

I am getting to the opinion that unless we take a real stance against the Taliban and the AlQ groups and their adherents, we are going to be stuck with insurgent groups hell-bent on destroying and blasting guns off in any country they decide to make some kind of war zone. Currently its Syria, but where are all these useless morons going to go after they have demolished Syria and it looks like Iraq and other countries their handiwork can be seen in? Libya and other countries have all become unsafe for not only the residents, but anyone trying to work there to help rebuild or get that country's facilities operational again.

No way do I want anyone who has been a murderous insurgent allowed back into the UK because these people inevitably become desensitised to observing the laws of the land and if they are unpunished for the bloodspread and destruction they have created, how can they be safe to wander around?

Regarding the Taliban isn't it time they were given a country of their own and basically told to live in it and mind their own business concerning other countries. As they so like suicide bombers, perhaps the dropping of bombs on their own people for each bombing carried out that is their work should be used as a deterrent against them and theirs, because, sadly, it may be the only language they actually understand and respect. Their use of small children and especially girls as bombers shows the cowardly mentality the heads of the Taliban have- its convenient that they can keep themselves safe because children can get through easier than adults.

Many Afghans want their country free of the Taliban and hate their moronic and evil executions and hatred of women. They want their music and culture and what was once a beautiful country restored + their kids free to get an education and flourish. Help from the West only comes with the bankers and greedy corporations attached and one can understand their reticence to stay involved with the West because its initially only the rotten side of capitalism that will rush in there.

Sorry if my post offends anyone its just what I genuinely think and feel I should be free to say.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

I agree with you. There will never b peace unless capitalism is destroyed. Money is not the root of all evil. People are. Because people will sell everything they love and respect for the love of money. Terrorists are build by capitalism to keep spreading fear.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have heard of these things before in history, and getting people to replace these "jobs" was increasingly more difficult to get volunteers as they kept getting killed.

Perhaps this leads to escalation of security, withdrawal from the region, or another loan. To me it's obvious there is money involved with Afghanistan, or else all of these interested parties would not be involved there.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I would ask that you apply some patience. It is always possible that the conspiracy you fail to see her exists anyway. One exaple I cherry-picked out to the source article offers a possibility for inquiry:

The Taliban said it carried out the attack, saying it had been deliberately targeting foreign officials.

Now keeping the above excerpt in mind, follow my reasoning behind why there must be a conspiracy here...

How does the Taliban "say" something? Someone must articulate the message no? From whom and to whom becomes the question. Anonymous phone call..., really? You are ready to accept attribution of mass murder via an unknown source? Not likely. I expect their source is well vetted, which would imply that their Taliban associates we at least known, if not identified.

Understand that announcing 'responsibility' is not the same as planning or executing such a thing. So why don't we know who exactly was connected to those who killed at least 21 people? I propose we don't know because the threat has been leveraged against the intelligence value someone has attributed to it.

Where such things happen we must always consciously question the risk... but we don't... "experts" do. Every wonder who these experts are? Me too.

The IMF can be, and is, villainous in may regards; but wishing death upon others seems central to the violence in the first place; making us gravitate in the depth of our passion towards becoming exactly the thing we fear and hate... interesting that.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Annunak1
reply to post by Shiloh7

I agree with you. There will never b peace unless capitalism is destroyed. Money is not the root of all evil. People are. Because people will sell everything they love and respect for the love of money. Terrorists are build by capitalism to keep spreading fear.

I'm compelled to take you up on this assertion.

First of all, Capitalism doesn't exist. It never did.

We understand Capitalism, we know how it should work... and the truth is we never fully implemented it... Capitalism cannot exist in an economy which includes monopolies.... and they are everywhere now, some in-your-face, some well camouflaged.

Money is a tool of exchange, it facilitates mutual cooperation by simplifying all the crap that goes into..., "Hey, I got a nice sandwich; I'll trade you for that big tangerine of yours!"

People are neither evil nor good. What they do is.

Terrorism arrives when the society's of the world take a form which excludes coexistence.

By allowing certain one-sided preferential economic circumstances to thrive, by concealing base exploitation, by permitting 'cattle psychology' to be used to condition uncommitted thinkers, by conducting ourselves as if respect for another society or culture is secondary to wealth generation, by turning the distribution of information into a game of theatrics and misdirection..., this is the stuff terrorism is borne of.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

True, there could be more than meets the eye, if someone told me the CIA was behind this because someone caught in the blast was looking into CIA connections to the Afghan opium trade, for example, I wouldn't be surprised at all. But of course if that were the case the info released to news agencies would be sanitized and spun, and someone would have to really do some digging to connect the dots.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Guns are not evil it is the shooter . Money is not evil it is the Money Changers . The money masters of the earth are far worse than tight fisted greedy men . Money is power and control and that is what they want .

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
[more Dbl post

edit on 18-1-2014 by SimonPeter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
the part that i don't undertand? ban-ki-moon KNOWS that the taliban are run by karzai, just like the government in iraq is run by that crazy mullah that the u.s. forces let slip away to iran, where, in just a few months after the iraq "security" forces give up, and the "radicals" take over (like where have we NOT seen this before in the middle east) he'll return to be the next dictator. karzai is the taliban. the afghan security forces/army are the taliban. there is no such thing as an 'afghan', there is only the taliban, how hard was that to figure out. anyway, pretty stupid to kill folks associated with the imf, the other folks, you should havNEVER gone there unless you were prepared to die. killing foreigners is what people in aftalibanstan call "the tourist trade". it's what Death calls "roll the dice". The afghans kill anybody they can get they're hands on just for fun. it's how most gangs maintain they're credibility, and the afghantaliban are very credible indeed.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tencap77

Ultimately we just made an overland attack by Iran possible and therefore facilitated the upcoming war of Gog and Magog in Ezekiel 38 and sealed Israels fate .

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

Any violence is tragic, but I hardly see how this belongs in "Alternative News".

Is this a conspiracy website or what?

Stories like this can be found in a few thousand other mundane news sites.

Here's a conspiracy for you - is posting stories like these on this site an attempt to distract/thread drift from the real conspiracies?

I was going to put it in another forum, but then the whole IMF official being there. Locals were surprised it could even happen in that location.

Although the White House praised "the quick and skillful response of the Afghan security services" to the Taverna attack, many in Kabul were shocked that the Taliban could carry out such a deadly assault in the heart of the capital's Wazir Akbar Khan neighborhood, home to the U.S., British and other Western embassies.

The restaurant had a small team of security guards and was one of the few establishments in Kabul that some foreign diplomatic missions allowed their personnel to visit. Once past the metal gate and the security check, a mostly expatriate clientele sat on low couches and dined on Lebanese staples, including kebabs and tabbouleh salad, and sometimes were served alcohol out of unmarked pitchers.

www.latimes.com...

Abdallah was a country representative in Darfur as it got IMF loans and new banks installed:

As Darfur deteriorates, Sudan’s economy booms

The economy is growing by 12 percent, the International Monetary Fund says, and over US$2.3 billion in direct foreign investment poured in last year.

"Broadly speaking, this country’s economy is well managed," said IMF country delegate Wabel Abdallah.

But the boom isn’t pleasing everybody.

"All the oil money is going to the government and its allies," said Jubara Hamed, a former army officer who now drives a taxi, as he sat amid old minivans and flashy new SUVs on a four-lane highway that did not exist two years ago.

That is echoed by many Sudanese in Khartoum, and others spread across the country. The government of President Omar al-Bashir faces three separate rebel movements in the east, south and west Darfur region — all demanding more wealth-sharing as a key condition to sign peace deals.

The government denies the money goes only to the elite.

www.sudantribune.com...

Abdallah was with the world bank before he moved into the IMF:

Mr. Wabel Abdallah, 60, a Lebanese national, was appointed Resident Representative in June 2008. He joined the Fund from the Central Bank of Lebanon in 1993, and has held various IMF positions, especially on the IMF’s activities and operations in the Middle East.

www.imf.org...

If you read any books on foreign debts and devaluation of resources, war for profit, etc… It might lead one to consider "alternative" ideas besides just a simple attack.

Then again, not saying it's a conspiracy (besides whoever conspired to do it) but it may be a place for someone interested to start looking.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

How does the Taliban "say" something? Someone must articulate the message no? From whom and to whom becomes the question. Anonymous phone call..., really?

The Taliban press agent of course, at a press conference, in a cave, with lots of lights and cameras. Oh wait… They stopped doing that. And some of those videos turned out to be intel ops.

Nevermind. I give up.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I see now with the points you are highlighting how a conspiracy case could be made, what threw me off was your mention of the "tin-foil light" in your OP, but I realize now you were referring to yourself and not using it in a derogatory manner..........apologies.

edit on 19-1-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The talibans are not stupid people just going around with hate in their hearts and killing others to get relief for the pain.
No.
They kill for money. Killing is their profession and the way of making ends meet. This profession requires various skills like any other profession. – No killing happens unless it is paid by someone.

In this case I would ask: Who had the intention and resources to order this attack. This seems not to be an easy (cheap) job to do when so many foreigners have to be killed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join