It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stimpy/Krazy Kat connection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is a question I would love to ask John K. if ever given the chance to meet him.

For those of you who remember the cartoon Ren and Stimpy (and I guess it's rushed reincarnation Ren and Stimpy Adult Cartoon Party), there were quite a few instances where Stimpy took on feminine attributes yet was/is considered male. In some episodes, such as Hermit Ren and Ren's Retirement, Stimpy is seen taking on the "wife" role, often wearing an apron or other female attire. This could be also further extended to being a mother figure, as in the episodes "Son of Stimpy" (where he farts and believes he has given birth), "Insomniac Ren" (In which he has a dream where he has a litter of kittens, along with a chihuahua pup), and the Adult Cartoon Party episode "Stimpy's Pregnant" (Stimpy believes he is actually pregnant with Ren's child, but turns out he is just constipated, nevertheless he bears a sentient poop baby...I know, I didn't understand it either)

With noticing these little quirks in the character, I couldn't help but think of Krazy Kat from George Herriman's comic strip of the same name.

A bit of background on Krazy Kat, as it is probably way before most of our time:

Krazy Kat is an American newspaper comic strip by cartoonist George Herriman (1880–1944), which ran from 1913 to 1944. It first appeared in the New York Evening Journal, whose owner, William Randolph Hearst, was a major booster for the strip throughout its run. The characters had been introduced previously in a side strip with Herriman's earlier creation, The Dingbat Family.[1] The phrase "Krazy Kat" originated there, said by the mouse by way of describing the cat. Set in a dreamlike portrayal of Herriman's vacation home of Coconino County, Arizona, Krazy Kat's mixture of offbeat surrealism, innocent playfulness and poetic, idiosyncratic language has made it a favorite of comics aficionados and art critics for more than 80 years.[2][3][4] The strip focuses on the curious love triangle between its title character, a guileless, carefree, simple-minded cat of indeterminate gender (referred to as both "he" and "she"); the obsessive antagonist Ignatz Mouse; and the protective police dog, Offissa Bull Pupp. Krazy nurses an unrequited love for the mouse. However, Ignatz despises Krazy and constantly schemes to throw bricks at Krazy's head, which Krazy interprets as a sign of affection, uttering grateful replies such as "Li'l dollink, allus f'etful". Offissa Pupp, as Coconino County's administrator of law and order, makes it his unwavering mission to interfere with Ignatz's brick-tossing plans and lock the mouse in the county jail. Despite the slapstick simplicity of the general premise, the detailed characterization, combined with Herriman's visual and verbal creativity, made Krazy Kat one of the first comics to be widely praised by intellectuals and treated as "serious" art.

George Herriman speaks of his character, Krazy Kat as thus:

Krazy was "something like a sprite, an elf. They have no sex. So that Kat can't be a he or a she. The Kat's a spirit—a pixie—free to butt into anything."

I know it could be a stretch of the imagination, but Stimpy reminds me a lot of Kat, including having the abusive relationship with an antagonistic character.

Anyone notice this too?

Krazy Kat
Stimpy

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I love, love, love that you posted this! I have ALWAYS wondered what was up with Stimpy. I was probably too young to watch Ren & Stimpy (the original) but I did and this question regarding Stimpy's sex haunted me.
I had never heard of Kat, but I would bet he was the inspiration!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
You had me at "sentient poop baby..."

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Morning,

I can't help it...I love Ren & Stimpy.
It was absolute scream.

-Peace-
edit on 18-1-2014 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Well, if I recall correctly(and I'm sorry that I don't have links to go with it), Ren & Stimpy were supposed to be a married gay couple. That was the original idea behind it, hence why Stimpy takes on many feminine roles. Technically, Ren & Stimpy's Adult Cartoon Party was supposed to be what the original show was meant to be like. But since Viacom/Nickelodean picked it up, they obviously had to tone it down.

But even toning it down, it was one of my favorite cartoons growing up. Very messed up, in a good way.
To be honest, I think I recall hearing all of this during an interview with them regarding the Adult Cartoon Party.

new topics

top topics

join