It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constant Pop up ads on TV!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
So I will admit to a guilty pleasure, Watching shows like Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold, also I am a huge fan of most of the survival shows. I like to think I have learned a fair bit watching this stuff.

BUT, here I am sitting with a second HD screen next to my monitor and I just realized that the damn pop up ads are no longer popping off, they are FREAKING CONSTANT! I know TV viewers are often not the brightest folks on the block however I am just bright enough to realize that Klondike starts in just three days in a few seconds. They should not be screwing up the view I am paying for with full time commercials!

Granted this is probably in retaliation for no longer watching commercials at all as I refuse to watch anything that is not on DVR.

Grrr. I just want my view to be of the show!

edit on 17-1-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Great rant!! There is no TV channel without them over here in Korea. They started with a little block, then they stretched fully across the top, now they're at the top and bottom with little distracting animations up and down the right side of the screen.

Just another reason I spend very little time in front of the boob-tube.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yep same here. Its spreading like wild fire. Why pay outrageous sums of money for programming to have ads on my show and commercials every ten minutes.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

They've been doing this a while, and it is increasing. They know people generally don't like commercials, and either mute them or leave the room, so they incorporate them into the show themselves. I noticed that the ads, which were ANIMATED, would cover a good 1/4-1/3 of the entire screen. I remember one time about 8 years ago I was watching a movie on TV, and at the very end/climax, they minimized the movie and started showing commercials of what was next. I was livid.

One of the many reason I stopped watching TV last year. Tired of the BS and commercials, and schlock programming.

Screw them.

edit on 18-1-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I know the feeling all too well, and it's worth the rant.

When the cricket is on TV pop up ads for the biggest loser show up every fifteen minutes and in every ad break, playing Katy Perrys 'roar' literally every five *%^#@@*$ minutes. I think she's lovely and all but the next time I hear that chorus I think I'll have a stroke.

And guess what just played, "I got the eye of the tiger..." I think the left side of my face is paralyzed.

And then there's the KFC ads scrolling across the screen, on the fences, on the turf, on the jerseys, in the ad breaks...It's freaking relentless, I'm starting to listen to games on the radio because I'm fed up with the ads.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I always wondered how advertisers get away with not paying consumers a royalty fee for allowing their ads to appear in our private homes. If you think about it, advertisers pay the cable company or networks to advertise. Shouldn't the cable companies or advertisers pay the consumer for allowing ads to be tagged onto a service we don't really want? I mean who really enjoys watching 3 or 4 minutes of commercials that interrupt what we are viewing. Nobody asked me "by the way, I know you're paying to receive all these channels, but we're also going to throw in thousands of commercials that will be rather annoying".

They are soliciting us to patronize their businesses. Don't businesses have to give you approval to solicit in front or inside their stores? Shouldn't we have to approve their solicitations in the privacy of our own homes?

What's even crazier is consumers pay to be walking billboards by purchasing t-shirts blazed with the company brand logo. Shouldn't they be paying us for advertising their brand on our personal bodies?

I'm sure if the media wasn't getting paid for commercials and ads, they wouldn't think about allowing it with their service.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Mamatus
I just realized that the damn pop up ads are no longer popping off, they are FREAKING CONSTANT! I know TV viewers are often not the brightest folks on the block however. They should not be screwing up the view I am paying for with full time commercials!

Grrr. I just want my view to be of the show!stfu

Welcome to the Television interfaces of the future

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Its gonna get worse. Nothing is free. They get us to think that...but it has to be paid for by someone.

And what are we getting by paying for cable, internet, dish and satellite...are no longer the stations...but the "options" for CHOOSING which stations and shows to get bombarded by with ads.

My home cable now had 100's of channel "options" and I pay for those....but click on them? 90% are pay to view....with ads.

So, what am I paying for again? Ads and choices...and I STILL have to pay more to view those....popups....

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

You are so right. 20 channels of infomercials that I have to pay for, while they get paid for cramming them into my "lineup".
Of the 200 Direct TV channels I get I think I watch about ten of them. I even modified my online channel guide so that I only have to scan the ones I like.

top topics

join