It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creative Thiefs, Stealing Ideas From ATS Members

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Trubeeleever
I don't know if we've got a leg to stand on.

Isn't all material submitted here the property of ATS.

I agree ATS provides the medium for great minds to pool their thoughts and create awesome new concepts in many scientific, religious, political and technical fields, but none of that intellectual property can be claimed for ourselves, once it is submitted on ATS.

The Truth is out there......

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.
( Source )

(cue X-Files music)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Ideas can't be owned. Its copying and pasting someone's words that is stealing.

On that note, if ATS inspires media or others to wake up and share the concept or idea presented, GOOD!
edit on 18-1-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I've asked before, but never recieved an answer. If somebody were to submit a short story here on ATS and later on expand it into a novel that gets published, does ATS get some of the rights to the novel?

To be truthful, I'd be ok with that as long as it wasn't ALL the rights. Without the members here, I wouldn't have some of the ideas I have had for writing.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Good point. I support the OP.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sorry, double post.
edit on 18-1-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post

Ouch! That's in the T&C? Hm, does that mean that I can still technically own "part" of the copyright of the material I post? May I relinquish exclusive copyright but still own "inclusive" copyright?

I hope I'm making sense.

I'm basically asking the same question as TDawgRex.

Thanks for the info, BTW.

edit on 18-1-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm sure they have it sorted out already on the legal end...

And for anyone I thought may have tried to "Jack my ideas",
I usually laughed at how they didn't "Get It".

Anyone that "Got my ideas", as I freely gave them, well they inevitably came up with their own unique ideas that are beyond whatever mine originally were to begin with.

edit on 18-1-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Interesting thread OP.

My sis and I have had discussions of this very concept for the last few years
revolving around ATS as well as personal private discussions between the two
of us. From a larger scale such as ATS to a much smaller scale as the private
discussions her and I have together.

For Ex. Her and i having a private discussion about something and then it
is repeated to us verbatim the very next day ?

For Ex. A topic is started on ATS and then a show comes out pertaining
to the same subject matter

For Ex. A private discussion happens and then a new song is released which
holds the same exact content of the discussion or hits on a particular word
that was being discussed

It makes your head do flips when it happens...

Is this going on ? On a large scale such as ATS being watched and then material
being copied into other news sources, movies and songs ? Or is it simply
ideas that take hold unconsciously and then it spreads ?

leolady

edit on 18-1-2014 by leolady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

17) Rights In Posted Materials: By posting on this message board, you relinquish all exclusive copyrights to any materials you Post and furthermore, you grant TAN non-exclusive, non-revocable worldwide, royalty-free rights to copy, distribute, display, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works, and publicly perform the materials in perpetuity in all forms. This license applies to all works of authorship including, but not limited to, written materials (e.g., text), audio, audio-visual materials, graphics, and images (including, but not limited to, graphics and images used as avatars). You also grant all third parties the right to copy, distribute, display, reproduces, and publicly perform the materials you post under the terms of the Creative Commons License. TAN has the authority to decide to display your postings or not, and you grant TAN the right to modify your posts, remove offensive material, modify your post title to accurately reflect content, remove vulgar comments, remove insults, or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, all at our discretion.

Whew! Wrabbit you've done the leg work for me. Thanks heaps, I'm sure other members are glad to see their questions answered in legal print.

In other words, any material you submit, you freely relinquish the rights to that material.
Hence "The Above Network" has sole propriety of any modifications and global publications you submit on this forum, including writing, images, graphics and avatars, ROYALTY-FREE.

Kinda hard to factor in the ROYALTY-FREE part of the contract. Almost makes anybody's posts and threads free for the taking, depending on how quick the vultures are at copyrighting sombody else's posts.

Anyway I'm good either way.

I know the secret of Gravity and wont be posting it here.

Onya Wrabbit, keep up the good work. S&F

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Well Star at least........

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

or embarrass ourselves

An! But what is life if we don't risk something?
Besides, embarrassment is better off mastered.

Ouu ! Did I just make a quote?

edit on 18-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have found direct posts of mine copy/pasted to other sites.

I seem to be given credit consistently though, so it doesnt bother me.

As for ATS and the rights they gain once something is posted here.. Well, thats a big part of the reason I dont share everything I would like! But, no judgment from me on it towards ATS. It is what it is.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

If I master anything it will be that, lol
edit on 123131p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Trubeeleever
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Hey, that's my book, although the story line wasn't the most exciting, the lessons were something to live by.

LOL

Ha ha Sorry Storm Dancer, it's the quick and the dead around here.

Did you read the experiential guide?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I certainly worry about intellectual property being stolen from me, thus I legally protect myself. You can too if what you write matters enough for you to protect it.

Join this organization and follow their guideline on protection of intellectual property.

www.wgawregistry.org...

otherwise you are pretty much SOL.

It's next to impossible to prove your content is original unless you follow the proper protocol, fill out the paper work and pay the FEES and register your work.

Sending in work with out following the correct procedures is foolish and just asking for it to be stolen by publishers, production companies and other denizens of the sleezy world of entertainment.

I learned the this lesson the hard way by seeing one of my ideas show up as a webisode that made a lot of money.

edit on 18-1-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

...It seems as if everyone is making money off of us and our ideas but us. I dont mean the ATS site administrators but i mean everyone. It seems very disingenuous for all of these people to crowd source their knowledge and sell it as their own opinions and ideas. Thats kind of the opposite of what i hope everyone stands for.

I advocate Open Access to information, just like my avatar says. As far as getting ideas stolen by crowd-sourcerers [feel free to steal that word], I often post ideas so they WILL be stolen - I think of it as "planting seeds." Sometimes I send links for my threads to big newspapers and famous writers just to make sure my ideas will get noticed and hopefully, "stolen." Sometimes, like when I had to downgrade my Internet service, I get right pissy that I haven't been ambitious-selfish-competitive-healthy enough to ride my own genius to fame and fortune. But it passes. Fact is, no one has ever been able to copyright ideas - scripts and stories yes, music yes, software programs yes, but ideas - no. Long story short, if you want to keep it for yourself, keep it to yourself. Anyone who posts on an international forum and expects to hold copyright on their work needs a few life lessons. The terms here are actually quite good - ATS/TAN can use, abuse and otherwise play with our work however they like without paying us royalties - and as I recall, we retain the same privilege.

edit on 18/1/14 by soficrow because: tinker

edit on 18/1/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's been answered dozens of times by myself and SkepticOverlord in dozens of threads over the years, our TAC spells it out completely. But I'll put in straightforward, unambiguous terms...

YOU OWN WHAT YOU POST HERE AND CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH IT, but you give us equal rights to use it for whatever we want too.

That means, in plain English;

NO, WE WON'T BE ENTITLED TO ANY PART OF ANYTHING YOU GET FROM ANY DEAL YOU CAN MAKE ON YOUR OWN THAT USES ONLY YOUR OWN WORK, nor will you be entitled to any part of anything we get from using your work that we make on our own(however we would most likely include the member who created the content if something like that ever really happened, it hasn't in over 11 years but one never knows).

If only people would READ EVERYTHING WRITTEN they might not be so confused... Relinquishing all EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS is required in order to SHARE RIGHTS with the site that made your stuff get noticed in the first place. The very NEXT Statement gives you SHARED ownership to your work you post on ATS. We don't take ANYTHING from you, you GIVE us equal rights to it.

Seriously, this is basic stuff, if you don't understand it don't post on the internet because we really are the GOOD GUYS and there's lots of "not so good guys" out there.

We've actually deleted threads for members who got publishing deals so they could give "First Rights" to the publisher who was willing to pay them. We didn't ask for or receive a single dime any of the three or four times that's happened.

edit on 1-18-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks for jumping in Springer i was hoping one of the site owners would jump in.

The way everyone is making money off of a lot of the content on ATS, how do you feel about creating a portal for members to benefit from their own ideas?

I have no ideas for this really besides charging for podcast and all that, but im wondering how that would change the dynamic here? Might get a bunch of business oriented types and degrade the quality of the membership here further.

Dnno just saying.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

How in the world would you prosecute a claim to a literary idea in a court of law? You couldn't, I guarantee you that ANYTHING you show me as an original idea I could find enough pieces of I could create it from(if not the exact same concept) on another site(s) in a Google search in < 6 minutes.

Seriously, there is NOTHING new under the sun.
edit on 1-18-2014 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

True.

Your right there really isnt a lot of new ways of thinking out there its mostly rehashing of thousands of years of ways of thinking.

Still worth exploring the thought. Otherwise it probably wouldnt have dawned on me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join