It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creative Thiefs, Stealing Ideas From ATS Members

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I've done this with recipes. I'll give someone the complete recipe, but I'll leave out something like the salt. IMO if you're a good enough cook to come to me for a recipe, you'll instantly know what's missing and add it.

Good point.

A smart thing to do. A lot of movie studios,writers,software engineers, and video game developers are guilty of this.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have not really seen anything new ( here or elsewhere) for the last 20 or so years... that's the trouble with getting older - watching the same cycles again and again.

Its all been written about in science fiction and related genres , Wells, Huxley, Clarke, etc (and not just fiction - Toffler et al)

And even 50's and 60's science fiction film and television.

Heres a series that most of you probably dont know of...
www.youtube.com...
That sums up a large percentage of what is discussed here at ATS in one swipe, and it ROCKS!

These memes just keep going around and around to find the next ignorant generation to feed off.
No disrespect intended.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Do you really think that a universe where so many people live would give one person a unique idea? I think that many people are given the same idea, firstly they interpret it differently according to the way their brain works and secondly it would not make evolutionary sense to let an idea disappear just because the one person it was given to, did not exploit it.

Whatever you think of, whatever invention you have at the back of your mind, there are folks from all walks of life and all circumstances who have also been given that idea too. So it is a race to get it out there, to patent it, develop it, market it, and even then the guys in China will copy it and make their own version of it. It all makes sense from the Universe's point of view.

I think that anything which is in the public domain on the web cannot be classified as yours and I really dont think that just because it was posted on the web by me today will stop anyone else arguing they thought of it before that. I can alter a post date on my blog if I need to. No, after all that, there is a way to protect ideas in law if that is the way you want to go.

Of course a truly shared idea would be to offer if to the community for them to use as they see fit. I think there are too many important ideas which have been lost to the people of the world because the "inventor" chose to try and make money from it. Some ideas are just too important to be kept for ourselves - such as free energy for example. The Joe Cell has been developed by many people since the original Joe idea, but there are still some aspects which are not completely shared because maybe it has elements of danger(for the developer, or public), or credibility, or there are moral issues involved perhaps.

When it comes down to it, there are plenty of ways to make money even if you dont own the patent and control the distribution of a product. Different ways in which it can be used, different markets to tap, different services, etc etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by ThichHeaded

^LOL.

Thats a tough way to go about communicating an idea.

Ju Thi ab t On a 4 f t wou B Kno ..
edit on 1/17/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Doesn't it go both ways? I mean the examples you give aren't like surprising? and don't people on this site use images of actual real word people as avatars? even if the image is from a movie or a video or something? and is it out of the realm of reason that alex joes might scarf something off this site, but Neil Degrass-Tyson, not so much?

also, how much stuff do we subconsiously download from the interweb while we're on it that we consiously recover later in response to some other interweb stimulus that affects us by making us super happy, or totally bummed or raging mad?

it's almost like that star trek episode where they talk about "paralell evolution" or something like that, where you have to species that evolve on different sides of the Universe, but they're societal devlopment is like Earth, during the gangster age?

I guess in the realm of the public domain it would be viewed as "plagerism" but in the natural world, it would be considered "adaptability", but your right, beck can be a total tool sometimes !

edit on 1172014 by tencap77 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It would be interesting to actually see some examples.

ATS posts are dated, so are articles from somebody who may be monitoring and using ATS as a secret source.

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Just because you have an idea, doesn't mean that some one else not have the same idea hundreds, thousands of miles away...or even around the corner.

If anyone wants to get their idea out there as their own, they have trademark it or have it copyrighted first.

In other words, he with the most money/backers win.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You know what I noticed many years ago, that topics posted on alternative sites were used by writers and in movies.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

True Tdawg.

I would however like to see an element of truth added to peoples musing of ideas as a motion towards truth and transparency.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by onequestion

You know what I noticed many years ago, that topics posted on alternative sites were used by writers and in movies.

I'll cop to that...

As a New Media producer, screenwriter, filmmaker; i search the web for outlandish threads, posts, rants, ideas and themes.

ATS used to be the best source for weirdness but has become mainly a place for politics and religion, not really alternative high strangeness; the subjects I build my screenplays around.

Every writer for film or TV I know, uses the web for inspiration. And not limited to writers...all artists are aware of that the interwebs has influenced culture and it reflects in their art.

Am I a thief....

edit on 17-1-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Yeah ive noticed over the years weve lost a % of people who cover those topics for whatever reason.

I cant remember the last time i read a galactic federation of light thread, not that im into it but just saying.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Trubeeleever

Isn't all material submitted here the property of ATS?

Exactly, so once we submit to the boards, it isn't even our
property to worry about any longer.

It would suck to see an idea one had for the short stories forum
or writing contest. Become a best seller a couple of months after
one had submitted it to ATS first.
edit on 17-1-2014 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Just because you have an idea, doesn't mean that some one else not have the same idea hundreds, thousands of miles away...or even around the corner.
reply to post by TDawgRex

There is a book called The Celestine Prophecy, and although I have never read it, somebody who has read it, explained a theory from that book to me.

The Sub-Conscious Collective, is a theory that many thousands of people disconnected by thousands of miles who do not have many things in common can suddenly all come up with the same idea. Apparently this happens every generation and spawns new concepts for future generations to build upon.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

onequestion
Hi, i would like to open a topic about famous people secretly sourcing ideas from ATS and using them to their advantage.

First let me start by asking you how many people do you think do this, how often and name a few? Heres a few on my list;

Joe Rogan
Alex Jones
Freeman Fly
Glenn Beck

Thats a short list off the top of my head. I believe these people and many others source material from ATS boards. Being that these forums are user generated content how do you feel about it?

Should we discuss this as a community? It seems as if everyone is making money off of us and our ideas but us. I dont mean the ATS site administrators but i mean everyone. It seems very disingenuous for all of these people to crowd source their knowledge and sell it as their own opinions and ideas. Thats kind of the opposite of what i hope everyone stands for.

Enjoy.

This makes NO sense. IF anything most of the content on here is sourced from elsewhere on the internet and reposted here.

Every headline you can think of that appears on some news outlet or local rundown paper finds its way on here.

I have seen hardly any original content on here whatsoever. That is no necessarily a bad thing but its like pot calling the kettle black.

You want to impose copyright, it could work against a site like this too.

Be careful of the roads you take.

The four names you posted.....Alex Jones (although I loathe him) often posts stuff before and in advance of other sites including this site.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by olaru12

Yeah ive noticed over the years weve lost a % of people who cover those topics for whatever reason.

I cant remember the last time i read a galactic federation of light thread, not that im into it but just saying.

If anyone has what they think has an exceptional idea, I want them to consider developing it themselves for whatever media they deem appropriate.

You can start with this.....

www.celtx.com...

and after you get something finished...u2u me. The only request i make is that it be in the proper format.

edit on 17-1-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Yes I do believe they frequent here. Lurking....
The minds here are so creative at times..its better than a sci-fi book or movie..
I feel without question they use it for ratings...
I've been here talking about a thread and on cue the very topic verbatim the next day..is the topic on these shows.

They are not creative. We are....Plagiarism.

Edit: but I've seen vice versa.
edit on 17-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Trubeeleever

I agree that we are all tapped into the same thought paradigm.

I always ask myself what is the connection to this "place", what is it, and what is it to us?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Nothing posted on this main stream website is original..absolutely nothing.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

It would suck to see an idea one had for the short stories forum
or writing contest. Become a best seller a couple of months after
one had submitted it to ATS first.
reply to post by randyvs

I'm hearin' ya. And yet the idea is so alluring, because ATS is a think-tank for so many creative minds and we feel we could write a best seller, or at the very least turn a mind blowing idea into a short story which can WOW your peers, and for what? Give a lurking novelist the spark they need for their next million dollar best seller, and we are rewarded with S&F and the choice of title for the next months competition title.

LOL

Come to think of it that's good enough for me, I might enter next months writing contest.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Trubeeleever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by redflinstone

Nothing posted on this main stream website is original..absolutely nothing.

Oh ye of little faith.

Such a bold statement for a newbie. Hang around for a while longer and listen to some abstract opinions, then see how far the rabbit runs down the hole.

Unless you simply have a new handle, then maybe your a long time lurker, looking for new material, and today has bought some un-inspiring results.

Well we can't all be brilliant every day.

Anyway if your new to ATS, welcome aboard and enjoy the debates.
Sincerely True Believer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join