It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creative Thiefs, Stealing Ideas From ATS Members

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hi, i would like to open a topic about famous people secretly sourcing ideas from ATS and using them to their advantage.

First let me start by asking you how many people do you think do this, how often and name a few? Heres a few on my list;

Joe Rogan
Alex Jones
Freeman Fly
Glenn Beck

Thats a short list off the top of my head. I believe these people and many others source material from ATS boards. Being that these forums are user generated content how do you feel about it?

Should we discuss this as a community? It seems as if everyone is making money off of us and our ideas but us. I dont mean the ATS site administrators but i mean everyone. It seems very disingenuous for all of these people to crowd source their knowledge and sell it as their own opinions and ideas. Thats kind of the opposite of what i hope everyone stands for.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Very good pick up mate, no reason why copyright laws cant work in our favour too.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

Nope, only for corporations, thats why all laws are developed for control.

BAD IDEA BAD IDEA ALERT ALERT
edit on 17-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

This is a very valid observation, especially with Beck IMO. That said it doesn't bother me much in that most of this is done with a political focus. Lord knows the more of our ideas that are circulated the better off America will be.

It's also the main reason you'll never see me taking part in "fan fiction" and story writing contests in an online venue. That's simply asking for plagiarism.
edit on 077pm1414pm62014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Maybe we should collectively feed them some whacked out crap and see how far they take it...

"Alien Reptilians infiltrate Girl Scouts to accost our baked goods..."

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

It is highly likely this would be going on. One day your (just using you as an example) idea might get regurgitated by them and heard by many people. That would be interesting I think.
Indeed they would be making money of other peoples ideas, that is why they do what they do so what can you do

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Here's the problem.

Our ideas that were bringing us together are now being used to rip us apart.

They are exploiting us.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by learnatic

Nope, only for corporations, thats why all laws are developed for control.

BAD IDEA BAD IDEA ALERT ALERT
edit on 17-1-2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

ATS is a corporation, they could monitor this kind of thing and start a class action suit. If it was even necessary or provable.

Cheers - Dave

link   

onequestion
I believe these people and many others source material from ATS boards. Being that these forums are user generated content how do you feel about it?

A lot of the material here comes from other sources....

link   
< --- See the date I joined?

I have noticed this on and off since I think the 08 elections or there abouts.. Every news station would talk about things we have discussed on ats weeks after we talked about it..

People around me used to be like how do you know about this already.. My simple reply was Simpsons did it type remark..

But it has been like this since at least 08 that I know of.. Then i just stopped watching the news cause well if they are ripping news from here no point in going there.

But I want to point out that some places plug ATS. This is something I found a very long time ago on a google search..

edit on 1/17/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

link   

learnatic

Very good pick up mate, no reason why copyright laws cant work in our favour too.

From the U.S. Copyright Office:

Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation

*emphasis mine

I see nothing at all wrong with a TV or radio personality reading ATS and then discussing those topics on their show. Now, if they are plagiarizing work and passing it off as their own, then I have a problem with that.

P.S., I still think Joe Rogan, Alex Jones, and Glenn Beck are trash. I have no idea who Freeman Fly is.

www.copyright.gov...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I don't know if we've got a leg to stand on.

Isn't all material submitted here the property of ATS.

I agree ATS provides the medium for great minds to pool their thoughts and create awesome new concepts in many scientific, religious, political and technical fields, but none of that intellectual property can be claimed for ourselves, once it is submitted on ATS.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the same rules apply to every social site these days. Including photos.

Sad and disheartening as it may be to see your catchy ideas going to fuel somebody else's public image of genius, but maybe any super cool ideas would be better saved up to write a book, or published in a journal so you get the kudos you deserve.

That is why I haven't published the secret of cold fusion here (loosens collar and clears throat)

Any way I've gotta get back to mopping floors.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Trubeeleever because: grammatical correction

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
News almost always hits this site first - that's part of the reason I tell others where to look when they want to know how I know things so quickly. It's because there are people from all over the world telling us in real time what's going on. I bet that would be the perfect source for MSM. I don't think it's bad unless they take ATS member Joe's conclusions and spout them off. I would think they would site their sources if it crossed a line.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Right, but the presentation of the ideas is very unique to ATS.

Also a lot of ideas are discuss'd here on a level thats hard to find anywhere else. Im not saying this to pat the website on the back on im saying it because its true.

Im putting most of the value of this website in the members. The moderation does play a roll but without the members the moderation doesnt exist.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Solution.

Only put forth an idea in a public medium in omitted fragments.

Then only you can tell what your talking about and not the plagiarists.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The initial idea for scripting a parody by DTOM of the recent TSA cartoon video was from one of my posts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-1-2014 by Tindalos2013 because: Link added

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I've done this with recipes. I'll give someone the complete recipe, but I'll leave out something like the salt. IMO if you're a good enough cook to come to me for a recipe, you'll instantly know what's missing and add it.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Its called research, people go to various sources to research info. Its perfectly acceptable thing to do in a democratic media. My stuff if mostly creative writing, if they every took anything I said im my OP as literal truth then, well who believes in Media stories will be a good target for selling used cars.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

John_Rodger_Cornman

Solution.

Only put forth an idea in a public medium in omitted fragments.

Then only you can tell what your talking about and not the plagiarists.

I do that and people complain they have no clue wtf I am talking about..

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

^LOL.

Thats a tough way to go about communicating an idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join