It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US four-year old shoots child dead

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

CJCrawley
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Yes, stupid people. Bad parents.

Nevertheless, a 4-year old child lies in a premature coffin.

Given that there are so many stupid, irresponsible people, shouldn't there be something written into your laws to safeguard the innocent?

Like TIGHTEN UP LAWS ON GUN OWNERSHIP...perhaps?

Perhaps when the UK tightens up on knife ownership they can tell Americans how to be violence free.
We have enough gun laws now, thank you.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

rival
Let's imagine a plausible scenario for this happened and see where
we can place the blame.

Let's say grandma and grandpa live together in Detroit. Grandpa
fears for his safety in this dangerous area and keeps a gun loaded
under the bed. He doesn't tell grandma because she is so afraid
of guns that she would rather face a criminal unarmed than
to possess one.

So grandpa leaves for the day, the daughter calls to see if
grandma can baby-sit for the day. Grandma accepts.
The children come over. Grandma tells them to play while
she makes PB and J's.

*BANG*

Child's dead, who's to blame?

That is still a pathetic excuse to justify a loaded gun floating about in a house.
He should not own a gun, even if there's a 1% chance your grandkids show up.
That is how a judge in court will view that.

Well, he should be a man and tell his wife what he is doing, but that only exists in a healthy relationships.
In your scenario where he has to hide something from her, can you expect something healthy from it.
In this case...... no you can't.

Plain and simple, the Grandfather with be held responsible in a court of law for incompetence of gun safety in his home, if not his wife also.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

As I said earlier in this thread, I have one loaded gun waiting to be used. The rest of them are in a safe. The loaded gun is out of reach of little kids in my bedroom. I'm not some paranoid nutter that has a loaded gun under my pillow, thats to lumpy to sleep on! Ha!
And the bucket of water is a reference to the number of children that fall in a five gallon bucket and drown every year. That number is surprisingly high.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You can't legislate for stupidity and thats the problem..perhaps better education about leaving guns around that are loaded when theres kids around and in school perhaps if you see a gun to leave it and tell an adult while leaving it well alone would help, if it was anything else that cost that much i'm sure it would of been locked up safely

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

"Bucket of water", okay I understand that. A old friend from back in the day, his daughter drowned in a kiddy pool in florida with only 6inches of water. The entire family was distraught over that. But his GF was also a heavy drug addict.

Question for you? Are you 100% sure that your kid(s) have no way to reach it, even with their gun safety training? Kid still do have a imagination, and it is flawed without pure logic. Just asking. I remember I broke into my dad's safe that was "unbreakable" back in the day with nothing more than... I just knew how a lock works.

He's a little story that shocked my dad and his friends:

I went to the local gun trade with my best friend and my dad's best friend. Both dad's bought guns and returned home. He had it locked into a case with a certified Ruger lock. I told him that I could pick it and open it while we were sitting at the kitchen table. Both dad's laughed and ignored me. I took a few paperclips and another item, couple of twist, pop! it was open.

Now I must have been 9-10 years old but have been shooting and hunting since I was six with a few years in gun safety. I grabbed the gun, discharged the clip, pulled back the slide to make sure it the chamber was empty. The noise of that caught their attention. They were dumbfounded how I did that. BTW, It was locked in a case, OUT OF REACH?!

After that my dad spent a few $1,000 on the best gun safe on the market.

Motto: just takes once.
edit on 18-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

blupblup

Of course it's unavoidable, DON'T buy guns and have them in the house.

Simple really.

Hell, why not make gun ownership illegal in general?

Better yet, why not make it illegal to have children, as it was a child that shot another child.

Screw those two ideas, and the idea you proposed.

The issue here is proper gun ownership......
How is it that the child was able to get to the gun, why was it not locked up?

And Parenting.........
Why is it that the parents were unaware the child even had the gun in the first place?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

She knows where the gun is, she knows it's loaded to. So yes she can get to it with a step stool. She also knows that if she wants to go shooting all she needs to do is ask. I'm more concerned about her getting ran over by the school bus that shooting herself or anyone else with my gun. All you can do is teach your kids safety and respect for guns.

I've dug around looking for some stats and found that twice as many kids are killed on bikes than are killed by handling guns.
So no I'm not worried about my guns.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Added content

top topics

<< 1   >>

join