It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haribo stops selling 'racist' sweets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yes well, I just came across this Article on Yahoo and thought 'what the hell is this rubbish'

my question is... Can a sweet be racist? Oh, boy, this is funny!

I don't know if the story is 100% true but it certainly seems so. Are people trying to stir up trouble? below is a link to the article and some of the story:

The offending sweets are in the shape of ethnic masks or facial representations that resemble primitive African, Asian or Native American art

German sweet maker Haribo has stopped selling some of its liquorice sweets in Sweden and Denmark because certain consumers considered them racist.

The sweets, part of the Skipper Mix salty blend that has been on the market for years, will no longer feature the controversial figures in both Scandinavian countries.

Haribo said it had taken into account the critical comments made on the internet in recent weeks.

"We decided that we could keep the product while removing the parts that certain consumers found offensive," Haribo Sweden head Ola Dagliden told AFP.

uk.finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I thought Haribo was out of Turkey, or so I recall on the packages of gummy bears.

Do you have a picture of the offending sweets so that ATS members can take a look see?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Mmmmmm... strange! I was just reading, and laughing out loud, at the reviews for their sugar free gummy bears yesterday on Amazon.

Gummy bears of (M)ass destruction!

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This candy used to be called "Tête de Negre" when my husband was a kid. (Negro head).
(old ad)

Then they added some other "exotic" type of heads, and changed the name to "Melting Pot".

I wonder why it is only the african head they are taking out?
In France they continue to sell them.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I would really like to meet the fickle people who spend their time trying to get harmless things banned.

Really, i want to understand them!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

So they'll be banning 'Black Jacks' next......

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

TheToastmanCometh
I thought Haribo was out of Turkey, or so I recall on the packages of gummy bears.

Do you have a picture of the offending sweets so that ATS members can take a look see?

Nope, there are no photos on yahoo.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Here we go...

The offending candy... sorry, not sure how to imbed.

I have family in Scandanavia, and these sweets have been somewhat controversial for years. It's worth noting that the current design is very toned down compared to what they used to be like.

Anyhow, I don't think this is the end of the world sort of stuff, but it probably is unhelpful ultimately. Also, this kind of sweet (salted liqorice) used to be marketed using the 'N' word - that's not just a Haribo thing either.

This said, the real crime here is the candy itself... Scandanavians love it but it's one of the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc
I would really like to meet the fickle people who spend their time trying to get harmless things banned.

Really, i want to understand them!

They are some of the most powerful people in the world. Here we have one lady trying to extend the school day for every by 15 minutes because she doesnt think her kid has enough time to wash his hands. It's being considered and gaining traction with the board even though this one lady is the only one complaining.

We also have a no-idling ordinance (that has no fine or penalty attached so it's useless) on the books because one woman thought her neighbor shouldnt let his car warm up for 15 minutes in the morning. Keep in mind it's been below zero every morning for two months.

The lone psycho has way too much power in this world. Half a million people wanting a thing are completely ignored but the one nut job with the completely arbitrary and pointless concern gets front page press and weeks of hearings.

We are truly all living in an asylum and only the sickest patients have any rights or power.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I remember a soft licorice candy my Mother called black babies, but most of the kids called them 'n' babies.

There was a big stink about those too, don't know if they are still around or not.
What is so demeaning about candy in the form of black people?

What this world needs is 'Honky Donks' or 'pale pops,... we can take it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Bluesma
This candy used to be called "Tête de Negre" when my husband was a kid. (Negro head).
(old ad)

Then they added some other "exotic" type of heads, and changed the name to "Melting Pot".

I wonder why it is only the african head they are taking out?
In France they continue to sell them.

thanks for posting the pics. I have to say that honestly, i would be offended. i'm glad they stopped making those sweets. indoctrination starts at an early age. and children eat sweets. so very glad they stopped making them.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Oh they still make them! I guess it is only in the countries named that they have been banned. They are still being made and sold here.

I am not so sure I feel these are racist, at least since they added other exotic heads. There is something weird to me about the fact that the chinese man, the native american, is okay, but we mustn't acknowledge african people?
I get confused by this recent trend towards it being unPC to acknowledge a black person as being so. It starts to sound like racism itself- as if being black is taboo.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Every Easter I look for the chocolate Jesus's at Wal Mart. But all they sell are those stupid rabbits.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
First the christians came and stole our identity. Now the PC police come and steal our candy. As another member said in a thread title recently, "Oh well, whatever, nevermind".

We need to stand up and fight for ourselves. We need to take back our heritage. Also, our candy.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

They dnt look offensive to me... to me they are just making sweets noting who lives where in the World!

They have Indian Faces too from Apache Tribes i think too...

Maybe the should add some Pink faces in there or do they have those?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

groingrinder
Every Easter I look for the chocolate Jesus's at Wal Mart. But all they sell are those stupid rabbits.

I've seen them. I think they should be more of a caramel color, personally.

top topics

join