Is it normal that my L vs R blind spot are at 2 different distances?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
medicine.yale.edu...

Fixate your eyes on the black square with your face about 20 cm (8 inches) from the screen. When you close your right eye, the left spot should disappear, while when you close your left eye, the right spot will disappear. You may have to move your head forward and back a bit to find your blind spot. Note that the fill-in area is yellow - since the surround of the blind spot is yellow. That is the visual system's best guess as to what should be there!

I centered my nose about 8 inch away from the black dot, spot on and my face kept flat toward screen not at angle.

However, to observe my Left blind spot, I notice I have move my head back a few more inches from the spot where I readily see the right spot, at about 7.5 inches.

What would cause this, pupilary distance? I do know on my eyeclass Rx, the PD is 70, I am rather wide-eyed. Also, my right eye is far sighted, at 20/10 but has difficulty reading fine print, whereas my left eye is nearsighted and reads better.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Well I don't know.....

When I do it the right eye closed I'm at 4 inches on the left eye, on the right no matter the attempts no blind spot at all....in stead I can feel my eye do some Weird auto focus thingy.

And this is why I only have luck with those on screen see the pic moving when it's not thing when I close an eye I suppose ..weird. thanks for that lol.

I wonder if this has ever been studied....the different way we see different and all, the fact our biology is different has always led me to wonder the differences...minute they may be..in visual perception, which triggers most of the other responses.

The few folks I know that we're colour blind in the blue green and red colour ranges had some social awkwardness, I also start to wonder about our different "blind" spots and it convinces me even more that folk are stronger with numbers as we "see" each other's blind spots and can watch out for each other's back etc.

Very unique topic! Thanks for getting my grey matter turning in a different direction.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I can't make either left or right side go into a blind spot.

And yes, it would be normal for both eyes to be different. I don't think vision is ever the same in both eyes.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
very likely the result of your "antimetropia" (when one eye is farsighted and the other is nearsighted). this creates a difference in the amount of focusing work each eye must do to focus at the distance that makes the trick work. the distance ought to be shorter for your nearsighted eye. the focusing system also is neurologically linked to the "convergence" system (responsible for aiming the eyes inward while focusing for near objects) so as focusing fluctuates so does the position of the eye slightly.

worst case scenario is that you have a common early sign/symptom of GLAUCOMA. any family history of that? if you have it, you want to know about it and get treated. should get picked up easily on an eye exam. there's also the possibility that you have a simple asymmetry in the size of your optic nerves (which "is" the blind spot). farsighted eyes, in my experience, have smaller more compact optic nerve cross sections than nearsighted eyes.

id say get an exam if you haven't had one in the last 12 months.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Each eye is divided up into four visual quadrants, not physically but through your optic nerves which go into what is referred to as "The Optic Chiasma", the not so clearly understood, seemingly random nature of the optic chiasma, combined with a visual defect may be causing your eyes to not seem to react normally to the test, sometimes the optic nerve is not even centered on the retina evenly between left and right eyes.

If you close your eyes and position them to look what would be straight, you can put light pressure on your eyes from the outside of your eyelids and see how the quadrants work fairly clearly.

If you press near the extreme outside of your eye nearest your ear, you will see a spot on the opposite side in your visual field, there has been a lot of research done regarding the tendency for one to look exactly where one hears a noise too.

Did you know that the vitreous humours (jellylike liquid) in your eyes is not really even clear?, your brain compensates for it through what has been referred as "software", pretty cool stuff, the body is amazing...

These are bizarre wiring (Neurological) issues that the field of medicine was still confused by when I was still in school 30+ years ago, they may have figured these things out by now.

Trust your senses, bazillions of years of evolution and refinement have given us all some amazing abilities which we frequently mistake for magic and spiritual experiences, and those who control the world do not want you to know how to use.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I seem to be more strange than the OP. I smushed my nose up to the screen of my laptop, winked each eye and could still see the edge of the green squares....

new topics
top topics

join