It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good books to read from ATS Members opinions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I love to read! I have read a few from hearing opinions from ATS members like "The fingerprints of the gods". I just got that one and will start to read this week. I have read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus", Strange, but a good read.

One that I suggest young men to read is "The Way of the Superior Man" by David Deida. He writes very well, and I enjoyed the part of Male and Female polarities, and no ladies it does not talk bad about women.. It will offend some, but challenge most with a open mind.
The reason I post this, it that I have a big interest in many of the threads over the years at ATS. I would take advice from members that may have some of the same interests I have.

When I was in jail ten years ago for a month I read Carl Sagan's "Contact", I was blown away. When I got out I watched the movie with Jodie Foster, and fell head over heels with that genre of literature. Can anyone who read that book suggest another alike?

I have read a few of Stephen King's works and I have to say Langoliers was my favorite.

I like books written about but limited too:
~Space/time
~Philosophy
~Relationships
~North American Hunting
~Anunaki/Nephilum culture/origins
~Controversial books of any of the top.
I'm sure you can pick up on my topics.

I like a good challenge of the mind, when reading. I lived phycology in college, so it can be a fantastic read to me about why we think the way we do; due to childhood experiences, good or bad.

My problem is that if I start reading and it doesn't capture me or my imagination by the first chapter, I stop. If the writer doesn't have a hook quickly I lose interest, I have a very short attention span... now what the hell was I writing about.....

Well, any advice on good reads ATS

edit on 17-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: Spelling and Grammer

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Asimov Asimov Asimov

Did I mention Isaac Asimov?

1 Pebble In The Sky Doubleday 1950
3 The Stars, Like Dust-- Doubleday 1951
4 Foundation Gnome Press [1] 1951
5 David Starr, Space Ranger [2] Doubleday 1952
6 Foundation and Empire Gnome Press [1] 1952
7 The Currents of Space Doubleday 1952
9 Second Foundation Gnome Press [1] 1953
10 Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids [2]
Doubleday 1953
11 The Caves of Steel Doubleday 1954
12 Lucky Starr and the Oceans of Venus [2] Doubleday 1954
15 The End of Eternity Doubleday 1955
17 Lucky Starr and the Big Sun of Mercury [2]
Doubleday 1956
20 The Naked Sun Doubleday 1957
21 Lucky Starr and the Moons of Jupiter [2] Doubleday 1957
26 Lucky Starr and the Rings of Saturn [2] Doubleday 1958
67 Fantastic Voyage Houghton Mifflin 1966
121 The Gods Themselves Doubleday 1972
262 Foundation's Edge Doubleday 1982
278 Norby, the Mixed-up Robot [21] Walker 1983
281 The Robots of Dawn Doubleday 1983
298 Norby's Other Secret [21] Walker 1984
318 Norby and the Lost Princess [21] Walker 1985
328 Robots and Empire Doubleday 1985
333 Norby and the Invaders [21] Walker 1985
349 Foundation and Earth Doubleday 1986
351 Norby and the Queen's Necklace [21] Walker 1986
364 Norby Finds a Villain [21] Walker 1987
365 Fantastic Voyage II: Destination Brain Doubleday 1987
379 Prelude to Foundation Doubleday 1988
404 Norby Down to Earth Walker 1988
429 Nemesis Doubleday 1989
437 Norby and Yobo's Great Adventure [21] Walker 1989
445 Norby and the Oldest Dragon [21] Walker 1990
456 Nightfall [32] Doubleday 1990
The Ugly Little Boy [32] Doubleday 1992
Norby and the Court Jester [21] Walker 1991
Forward the Foundation Doubleday 1993
The Positronic Man [32] Doubleday 1993
Mystery Novels

28 The Death Dealers (A Whiff of Death) Avon 1958
172 Murder at The ABA Doubleday 1976
Science Fiction Short Stories and Short Story Collections

2 I, Robot Gnome Press [1] 1950
14 The Martian Way and Other Stories Doubleday 1955
23 Earth Is Room Enough: Science Fiction
Tales of Our Own Planet Doubleday 1957
29 Nine Tomorrows: Tales of the Near Future Doubleday 1959
60 The Rest of the Robots Doubleday 1964
82 Through a Glass, Clearly New English Library 1967
87 Asimov's Mysteries Doubleday 1968
98 Nightfall and Other Stories Doubleday 1969
113 The Best New Thing World Pub. Co. 1971
125 The Early Asimov or, Eleven Years of
Trying Doubleday 1972
146 The Best of Isaac Asimov Sphere 1973
150 Have You Seen These? NESRAA 1974
164 Buy Jupiter and Other Stories Doubleday 1975
167 The Heavenly Host Walker 1975
170 "The Dream", "Benjamin's Dream" &
"Benjamin's Bicentennial Blast" Benjamin Franklin Keeps. 1976
174 Good Taste Apocalypse Press 1976
176 The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories Doubleday 1976
229 Three by Asimov Targ 1981
249 The Complete Robot Doubleday 1982
267 The Winds of Change and Other Stories Doubleday 1983
323 The Edge of Tomorrow Tor/Tom Doherty Associates 1985
332 It's Such a Beautiful Day Creative Education 1985
336 The Alternate Asimovs Doubleday 1986
345 Science Fiction by Asimov Davis Publications 1986
347 The Best Science Fiction of Isaac Asimov Doubleday 1986
350 Robot Dreams Byron Preiss 1986
376 Other Worlds of Isaac Asimov Avenel 1987
409 All the Troubles of the World Creative Education 1989
410 Franchise Creative Education 1989
411 Robbie Creative Education 1989
412 Sally Creative Education 1989
421 The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of
Isaac Asimov Dark Harvest 1989
450 Robot Visions Byron Preiss 19
edit on 32014Fridaypm131Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:44:35 -0600America/Chicagov44 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

Best of all is the first 3 books of the Foundation series.
edit on 32014Fridaypm131Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:47:25 -0600America/Chicagov47 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'll give a good book to read. "the wisdom of donkeys". A little dry, not your Stephen King, but if you like a good read i recommend it. Not a page turner by any means but a book that will stick with you.

I'd give you an author but I gave it to a gf and I'm sure you can google it or check your local library.

you like psychology, you can learn why donkeys are considered stubborn lol

edit on 17-1-2014 by tinner07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

The title makes me laugh out loud! I am a fan of dry humor, so I will have to look into that book.

I also forgot a great book my father gave to me in my 20's was "THE PROPHET". I enjoyed it greatly

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Golantrevize

I'm sorry, is that all you recommend?

Anymore? LOL

I have read a few of his books, good reads. Thanks

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
1984, George Orwell. Read this first if you haven't yet. Very important to understand how it applies to you today.

Swan Song, Robert Mcammon. Long story but well worth it, about an apocalyptic world, good vs bad.

War Of the Worlds and The Time Machine, HG Wells. These are quick reads but told in a very engaging way with some of the scariest creatues imagineable.

The Prince, Niccolo Machiaveli.....it's good to understand those who want to control you.

Under The Dome, Stephen King. I'm honestly not the hugest King fan, but he understands better than anyone how to create a bad guy you love to hate. Under The Dome has imo the best bad guy ever created, humanity at it's worst.

Anyone got any to recommend to me? I'm currently reading the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and love it, anyone got any recommendations like it? funny and sci-fi?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Fantasy....The Paralandra trilogy by C.s.Lewis, really good books...maybe his best work.

Metaphysics/religion...Living In The Light of Truth, an unexpectedly challenging book and mostly non denominational in viewpoint.

Fun to read...Dean Koontz, Piers Anthony, Clive Barker....all very good authors with a huge imagination...and humour.

For information sake...any good medical text about the functioning of the human system, sounds boring but if you get the texts the docs and nurses use it's really a god read and useful knowledge , not tho mention survival and wilderness hand books.

Oh and cheers

edit on 17-1-2014 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Awesome series.

Monster Hunter International.

www.goodreads.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I read 1984 in middle, and high school, and again a couple years ago. I remember we watched the 1984 movie in christian school, 8th grade I think.

I am a fan of Wells also.
The Prince, Niccolo Machiaveli? Never read that.

Under the Dome by King sounds interesting. Thanks.

edit on 17-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

I recommend "The Fifth Element" only if you haven't seen the movie.
I read it before I watched the movie, its a bit different, but wonderful and exciting none-the-less

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Treespeaker

Fantasy....The Paralandra trilogy by C.s.Lewis, really good books...maybe his best work.

Metaphysics/religion...Living In The Light of Truth, an unexpectedly challenging book and mostly non denominational in viewpoint.

Fun to read...Dean Koontz, Piers Anthony, Clive Barker....all very good authors with a huge imagination...and humour.

For information sake...any good medical text about the functioning of the human system, sounds boring but if you get the texts the docs and nurses use it's really a god read and useful knowledge , not tho mention survival and wilderness hand books.

Oh and cheers

I only liked one of Dean Koontz's books. I have also read many of C. Lewis's works too. Although the "Living in the light of Truth" sound goods.

When I was broke(still am) and had nothing to do out on jobs or sitting in the house because its too cold. I would read my butt off in front of the fire(still do).
I am digg'n this thread. I will be booked up by the end of the week! Thank you

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Thank you for the recommendation. I have seen the movie, but usually that does not affect my view on books. Books have so much more to offer the mind than movies anyhow.

Im sorry I should have fully read what you wrote first.

For Philosophy try "The World as I See It" by Einstein

and for Controversial Try "The Communist Manifesto" by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. again it's good to know and understand those who seek control of you, whether you agree with them or not.

edit on 17-1-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Monster Hunter International. That's Sci-fi right?
Not a big fan of reading that genre, mostly movies.

Alien series
Solaris
Shpere
Riddick

Thanks

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I like Einstein, "The World as I See It" will definitely be on my list and long as a normal person can comprehend it.

My ADD kicks in more often than not.

I am also going to start reading the book that turned movie with Mark Whalberg, "Lone Survivor." Base on true events.
My Dad read it and suggested it to me. Yes, I agree with you that sometimes books can be better because of the detail they do not portray in the movie you can read about. My dad always tells me to read the book first.

I really thought Elysium was Bad-Ass, and want to read the book. Did you know that the Author who wrote the Elysium was based on actual science from the space station? Bits and pieces anyhow

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

A life changer for me was Man's Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl.
I just read his other book The Unconscious God...what a trip.

This guy was a heavy hitter and I am amazed he is not spoken of on ats.

This part does bug me a bit though.

In 1940 he started working at the Rothschild Hospital, where he headed its neurological department.

From his wiki page en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

The Unconscious God, Now that sounds like I book I would read! Thank you.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Hmmm... A small selection from my list of favorites:

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, although Galapagos is a real mind-bender - had my mind working overtime for weeks after I read it.

Anything by HP Lovecraft...tentacles rock!

Cell by Stephen King - you will never look at your cell phone in the same way ever again!

Serpent in Paradise by Dea Birkett - non-fiction and amazingly interesting - it's about a female writer who manages to get to Pitcairn Island, where the Bounty (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) ended up and the island is still home of the descendants of that very ship.

Anything by HG Wells

Anything by George Orwell

If you like archeology-adventure (along the lines of Indiana Jones), I very highly recommend anything by James Rollins. He never disappoints me!

Right now I'm reading all of the Pellucidar books by Edgar Rice Burroughs and they are awesome reading, if you dig hollow earth stuff.

Jules Vern is also awesome.

William Faulkner wrote many excellent books also. I particularly enjoyed Flags in the Dust.

Edgar Allen Poe - 'nuff said.

If you are looking for something deep and more challenging (and of a religious/spiritual nature) the Kolbrin bible/texts are very interesting as well.

Just some of my favorites. If you happen upon any of them, I hope you enjoy them.

As a side note, last year a thread was started about starting up an ATS book club. If you can find the thread, there were some great suggestions in there too. One of the books we read was called The Dog Stars by Peter Heller- and it was freaking awesome.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Make sure to have a dictionary on hand.

If you can get by the first 2 chapters it will make sense.
edit on 17-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

The creature from Jekyll Island
and
Rulers of Evil

these two books are what eventually led me to ATS

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

If you like fantasy and haven't read Weaveworld by Clive Barker you are missing out in my opinion.

I agree some of Koontz books can be taken or left depending on the subject matter, his older stuff seems more solid some how.

Did you read the Paralandra trilogy? I remember Out of the Silent Planet being one of the titles, really is on a different level than his other books imho.

Happy reading, may your stories always lead to interesting places.

Editing to add in the metaphysics/philosophy cat The Art of War is an essential read and it's good and short, I'm thinking you may have read but want to mention it as a besides in case.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I have been told a lot of good things about Elysium, lately though newer movies have been uninteresting to me. Last newer movie I watched was"This Is The End" and afterwards I felt dumber, so as of late I have been watching older classic films, Dracula (original), Planet Of The Apes, The Good The Bad The Ugly. I love a movie that does not require a bunch of these newer overdone special effects in order to tell a great tale. If there is a book for Elysium I might pick that up instead.

The Einstein book is simply his philosophy on life matters. It is a quick and easy read that gives one an understanding of who he really was. I lose interest easily too but this was one no problem.

edit on 17-1-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join