It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests over two years for molesting children

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Bigburgh
Man the pope is on the move. Good for him. Purge the wicked.

I've always wanted to say this.."WHAT DE FROCK!"

Wtf joke..sorry I was reaching.
edit on 17-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Ditto. I'm glad to hear that he is cleaning house.

Defrock, sounds like they are stripping them naked. I could imagine a hall full of . . . never mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

One could certainly argue that this pope has brought an end (or started to bring to an end) to the business as usual / arrogant / self serving mentality that has permeated the catholic church for a long time now.

We are going to have 2 possible outcomes -
#1 - The Pope will clean house and set things back on the right path.

or

#2 - People within the church who are threatened by the popes actions will take steps to remove the current people and put one in that they can control.

With number 2 in mind, I'm curious on the choice of Francis. Benedict looked evil (I know, not a very scientific description… But I digress, I couldn't see his picture without thinking of the emperor of Star Wars).

And they chose to replace him with Francis. Who seems to be the real deal (as of yet.) Francis is looking to rearrange the Vatican Bank* and some other long standing facets of the Catholic power system.

So either it's a show designed for perception of reform or the hammer really is coming down in Vatican City.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Im glad of this news, this pope is awesome, still not going make me christian but hes good and is ACTUALLY making chances that need to be make instead of dropping out like the rest.

BTW OP: that title, defrocked might not have been the right word to use, sounded like he was sexually assaulting priests - though that would be sort of fitting.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If the Catholic Church can get out of the dark ages, then there is hope for the GOP.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
For all these people that believe that Pope Francis will be any different i give you
The Who, this is the way you should be thinking............

Wont Get Fooled Again

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

boncho
Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests over two years for molesting children: document

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

The statistics for 2011-12, obtained by The Associated Press, show a dramatic increase over the 170 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.

VATICAN CITY - A document obtained by The Associated Press on Friday shows Pope Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests over just two years for molesting children.
The statistics for 2011-12 show a dramatic increase over the 171 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only publicly revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.
The document was prepared from data the Vatican had been collecting to help the Holy See defend itself before a U.N. committee this week in Geneva.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

This actually comes as a surprise because there were allegations that Benedict protected some priests while he was a cardinal, shifting around people to keep them from getting prosecuted. Or at least he was privy to what was going on but didn't do anything. (or so the story went).

Is it just me or is 400 a kind of high number? How many are there all together and what % were caught. Possibly more importantly, what % weren't caught?

edit on 17-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Why don't you just say effen RAPED because that's what happened. He EFEN RAPED THEM.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Bump.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The changes the Pope has made has increased his popularity among the people while at the same time irritating those in the Catholic Church hierarchy. The manner in which he conducts himself seems to be an irritant to them. When he first started out, he skipped a traditional mass and instead went to the streets to meet people. Its the first time the pope has skipped that particular mass in a long time (if I remember right).

My curiosity with all of his changes actually lays with the Diplomatic portion. We see a lot of changes internally and I am curious how those changes will be received by the countries that have diplomatic relations with the Vatican. In particular China, who tolerates the Catholic church but only to the extent the Vatican accepts hand picked clergy by the Chinese government.

The second is the Vatican's relationship with Islam. He seems more eager to engage and understand than his predecessors. Hopefully, with the change in leadership at the Vatican, it will lead to a better understanding of both religions and possibly better relations.

As for defrocking the priests - It should have been done a loooong time ago. That's the one part of the Church I never did understand.

Either or I wouldn't worry about those defrocked priests. They can easily get a job with the TnA err TSA.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The second is the Vatican's relationship with Islam. He seems more eager to engage and understand than his predecessors. Hopefully, with the change in leadership at the Vatican, it will lead to a better understanding of both religions and possibly better relations.

Reminds me of Jean Paul II a little bit actually.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join