It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests over two years for molesting children

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests over two years for molesting children: document

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

The statistics for 2011-12, obtained by The Associated Press, show a dramatic increase over the 170 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.

VATICAN CITY - A document obtained by The Associated Press on Friday shows Pope Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests over just two years for molesting children.
The statistics for 2011-12 show a dramatic increase over the 171 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only publicly revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.
The document was prepared from data the Vatican had been collecting to help the Holy See defend itself before a U.N. committee this week in Geneva.

This actually comes as a surprise because there were allegations that Benedict protected some priests while he was a cardinal, shifting around people to keep them from getting prosecuted. Or at least he was privy to what was going on but didn't do anything. (or so the story went).

Is it just me or is 400 a kind of high number? How many are there all together and what % were caught. Possibly more importantly, what % weren't caught?

edit on 17-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
1 is 1 too many!

Sadly 400 is the tip of an enormous iceberg. Paedophiles learn where they are tolerated, not noticed, encouraged or even ignored and will take advantage of any authority weaknesses being the devious bunch of bar stewards that they are!

Still unsure why he has become a virtual hermit within the protection of the Vatican, perhaps Snowden has yet to release the data on that one, but could it be tied to the US withdrawing its Ambassadorial Status from the place?

I would like to think that the RC faith and the current incumbent at the Vatican have begun to seriously address their issues wrt Paedophile priests.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I heard this on Sky News today - i am so glad that my parents never made me go to church as a child..

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

400 ?? and these are just the ones they caught, 400 pedophiles in the catholic church molesting children, how is it that ANYONE still believes in the catholic church at all ?

Sounds to me like NAMBLA is recruiting priest's and running the catholic church, this is insane to say the least !!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Is it just me or is 400 a kind of high number? How many are there all together and what % were caught. Possibly more importantly, what % weren't caught?
reply to post by boncho

Hell yes that's a high number! You have to wonder why anyone would become a priest if they're expected to live a life of celibacy.
I'm sure that drives some of these priests to molest children! Do these priests believe they're more than human and don't have sexual needs? These same priests are also supposed to relate to people who are married and are raising a family. How can anyone preach about family or relationships when they themselves haven't even experienced it? It's just one of the many ridiculous controls the catholic religion prescribes too. (We still have controlled slavery when it comes to religion).

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

Oh yeah, this is the Catholic church's fault...

Why do you let your kids go to public schools? There were about this many innocent children murdered by physcopaths, it must be the schools fault...

Blame whoever you want....I am not of organized religion but that statement was just retarded...Sorry

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Why do you let your kids go to public schools? There were about this many innocent children murdered by physcopaths, it must be the schools fault...

Blame whoever you want....I am not of organized religion but that statement was just retarded...Sorry

Your analogy is rank rotten, of course it's the catholic Church's fault. Who do you think is to blame?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Whoever said 1 is too many got it right.

400 is totally disgusting and those are just those that were CAUGHT, and probably only from a certain area rather than throughout the world.

This proves the unholiness of the Catholic Church and many organised religions. The egos of men should be curbed. Priests are in no position for giving advice and pretend admonishing of evil doings.

Ironic words from the Bible:

--"BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS, WHICH COME TO YOU IN SHEEP CLOTHING, BUT INWARDLY THEY ARE RAVENING WOLVES." Mt. 7:15 -Lk. 10:3

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Your damn right its the catholic church's fault for not protecting the children and allowing this to go on now for how many years, otherwise why is the church paying out millions in court ordered fines.

You drop your child off at school according to you its like dropping them off in an alley with no one to take responsibility for them, there on there own. I hope you don't have kids.

Your ridicule says one thing , you have no clue what your talking about or your 12 years old.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
In my opinion, it does not matter how many were "defrocked". The question for me is, how many were prosecuted? How many were turned over to law enforcement?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Man the pope is on the move. Good for him. Purge the wicked.

I've always wanted to say this.."WHAT DE FROCK!"

Wtf joke..sorry I was reaching.
edit on 17-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting that this hasn't come out until now. Good for him though.

On a slightly different note, why the public outcry over the allegations against priests and the blind eye that has largely been turned towards it hasn't crippled the Catholic Church is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i grew up catholic and were always afraid of the priests , luckily never been alone with them. they were very creepy so would not be surprised if they did bad things to kids coz i doubt it would of came out. These days people are more aware of these dodgy priests. the problem with that is that any priest can be accused of these things if they did anything or not.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The Vatican is the personification of Evil. How people give this organization of pedophiles any support is completely bewildering to me!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

boncho
Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests over two years for molesting children: document

The statistics for 2011-12, obtained by The Associated Press, show a dramatic increase over the 170 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.

VATICAN CITY - A document obtained by The Associated Press on Friday shows Pope Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests over just two years for molesting children.
The statistics for 2011-12 show a dramatic increase over the 171 priests removed in 2008 and 2009, when the Vatican first provided details on the number of priests who have been defrocked. Prior to that, it had only publicly revealed the number of alleged cases of sexual abuse it had received.
The document was prepared from data the Vatican had been collecting to help the Holy See defend itself before a U.N. committee this week in Geneva.

This actually comes as a surprise because there were allegations that Benedict protected some priests while he was a cardinal, shifting around people to keep them from getting prosecuted. Or at least he was privy to what was going on but didn't do anything. (or so the story went).

edit on 17-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

The morality of the Catholic cult has been an issue throughout history from inquisition up to now with the serious child molesting. This organization needs a full on criminal investigation by outside agencies. These worker of god need the harshest of punishments. Another reason that religion is a fraud.

Why hasn't god punished them? Why did god let these kids be molested by gods workers? Ill tell you why.....because its all make believe. The organizations use religion as cover to commit these horrendous crimes.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

boncho
Pope Benedict defrocked nearly 400 priests

Appalling to know that at least another 400 kids were abused.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

WeRpeons

reply to post by boncho

Hell yes that's a high number! You have to wonder why anyone would become a priest if they're expected to live a life of celibacy.
I'm sure that drives some of these priests to molest children! Do these priests believe they're more than human and don't have sexual needs? These same priests are also supposed to relate to people who are married and are raising a family. How can anyone preach about family or relationships when they themselves haven't even experienced it? It's just one of the many ridiculous controls the catholic religion prescribes too. (We still have controlled slavery when it comes to religion).

I don't think celibacy drives them to molest children. I think it eliminates a lot of normal people from applying though, and attract the ones who get free access to kids, an authoritative career, and those who never worried about celibacy in the first place.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Um… If a teacher at public school is molesting children it is the school's fault. Which is why the government has enacted rules and regulations within the schools that the teachers have to abide by (like no single student trips or "detention" after class in some districts, etc, etc.)

And here's the most important factor. They are prosecuted when caught.
edit on 18-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

To go down the conspiracy road....

The list of popes was specific in that the last pope would oversee the destruction of the church.

Many have viewed this as a literal, final ending, of the church. What if we look at it in another way - That we are seeing an end to the "old" church and a return to its roots?

One could certainly argue that this pope has brought an end (or started to bring to an end) to the business as usual / arrogant / self serving mentality that has permeated the catholic church for a long time now.

We are going to have 2 possible outcomes -
#1 - The Pope will clean house and set things back on the right path.

or

#2 - People within the church who are threatened by the popes actions will take steps to remove the current people and put one in that they can control.

Either way I think this Pope just met the criteria for Nostradamus's prophecy.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That's really interesting. I read a good interview about him a while ago here and got the impression he resigned because he couldn't bear the corruption within the church.

I wonder if he had been younger or in better health if he would have gone further, and fought harder. Good for him anyway, I imagine it's not easy to take on the Vatican.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join