It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head Coach Haircut?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
So saw a sportscenter piece on how Rob Ryan would have been a candidate for most head coaching jobs that were available, but his hair cut didn't fit the mold of an all american coach. My question is, why is something that small still keeping qualified people out of jobs they can handle? Does it really matter? Is it going to change his personality? And why is there so much judgement on the way people dress and style their hair? Last question kinda a catch all, not just sports realated
edit on thFri, 17 Jan 2014 12:28:20 -0600America/Chicago120142080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

I would argue that it is state of his physical fitness ( or lack thereof ) that would hold me back from hiring him rather than his hair...

But, He looks like he just rolled out of bed.

Seriously, IMO he is an awesome defensive coach & these guys just generally don't do well in the head coach slots.
edit on 17-1-2014 by BurningSpearess because: Illustrate

edit on 17-1-2014 by BurningSpearess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

But does any of his appearances take away from fact that he can coach? look at bellichek (sp?) with the Pats, he goes to games in cut off sweatshirts, he isn't in peak physical condition. Oh and he is a defensive guy as well, but that's a whole other thread on D cords gone Head Coach. I just think its unfair to him, he is qualified to get a shot at the position and is being black listed because of his hair?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So one guy on sports center says its his hair and that must be why? Maybe he has a horrible personality and was late for a head coaching job interview?

I'm a Detroit Lions fan, I'd hire a 17 year old french girl if I thought she could coach us to the playoffs.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Ryan could do wonders with the front 7 of the lions so i think he would out qualify that 17 year old. And it was more about the idea that someone with long hair like that does not fit the "mold" of a head coach and should that mold dictate if a person even gets the consideration.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Sremmos80

But does any of his appearances take away from fact that he can coach? look at bellichek (sp?) with the Pats, he goes to games in cut off sweatshirts, he isn't in peak physical condition. Oh and he is a defensive guy as well, but that's a whole other thread on D cords gone Head Coach. I just think its unfair to him, he is qualified to get a shot at the position and is being black listed because of his hair?

Let me share the possible concerns from a managerial/human resources/public relations perspective:

1. Leadership/Pride: How can one represent a franchise, the players, the fans, etc. if one doesn't have a healthy dose of self-care/pride? Would this rub off on 3rd parties, even unintentionally? The more I think about it, kind of a double-whammy with Ryan (fitness & hair)

2. Stress Factors: Head coaching is far more stressful than supporting coach roles...Could Ryan handle it? Even if he is healthy as an ox, his appearance/demeanor just plants questions of medical issues like obesity, addiction, underlying depression/anger management issues, etc.
*Case in point*>>> SF's Harbaugh, while looking pretty clean-cut, & fit admits he wears cleats on the field because of too many instances of falling down/near falling down

I do agree appearances should not matter so much!!
However, this is society/msm's way...I dare say that football (aka soccer) outside the US seems to demand more strict guidelines from their managers in many ways...

On a more positive note, Ryan has a method behind the "madness" concerning his hair.

It is worthy of a honorable man, I must say, if true...Locks Of Love

msn.foxsports.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

BurningSpearess

Sremmos80

Let me share the possible concerns from a managerial/human resources/public relations perspective:

1. Leadership/Pride: How can one represent a franchise, the players, the fans, etc. if one doesn't have a healthy dose of self-care/pride? Would this rub off on 3rd parties, even unintentionally? The more I think about it, kind of a double-whammy with Ryan (fitness & hair)

2. Stress Factors: Head coaching is far more stressful than supporting coach roles...Could Ryan handle it? Even if he is healthy as an ox, his appearance/demeanor just plants questions of medical issues like obesity, addiction, underlying depression/anger management issues, etc.
*Case in point*>>> SF's Harbaugh, while looking pretty clean-cut, & fit admits he wears cleats on the field because of too many instances of falling down/near falling down

I do agree appearances should not matter so much!!
However, this is society/msm's way...I dare say that football (aka soccer) outside the US seems to demand more strict guidelines from their managers in many ways...

On a more positive note, Ryan has a method behind the "madness" concerning his hair.

It is worthy of a honorable man, I must say, if true...Locks Of Love

msn.foxsports.com...

What about his long hair have to do with self pride or leadership? And his brother is a overweight (yes he has lost a lot of weight) coach that just signed an extension. Many coaches are not in peak physical condition, they had 2 separate heart issues this year. The only thing that Rex has different then most coaches is his hair. Other then that he carries him self like most coaches. Hence Sean Payton, one of the greatest. Hiring him, talent recognizes talent.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

What is the mold now? Tom Landry in a suit did pretty good. Wayne Fontes of the Lions wasn't the epitome of good health or fashion but got us to the play offs.

So what is the coach mold of the year? A black man in a team cap? Dollars to doughnuts thats where Detroit goes. Otherwise they will be chastised for not hiring a black coach.

But as a head coach position, and almost any job yes it does matter how you look. Wouldnt you have been the fool to hire that kook Einstien into your physics dept.

I am agreeing with you that his hair shouldnt matter.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I'm not saying he has to cut his hair...but if he *really* wants a head coach role...he needs to neaten himself a bit.

Heck, it's called professionalism & that's a 101 in any job search / vetting process.

At times in my life, I've had to do things I haven't wanted to do for the sake a career including: cutting my hair, putting on more makeup than I'd care to wear, wearing very conservative suits, stockings, painful shoes, etc. That's playing the game of life.

All I am saying is that if he is going to be under the cameras/high exposure so often, he can at least take some actions to look less sloppy. Again, he doesn't have to cut his hair but he could pull it back in a ponytail, bun, or braid so he looks a bit more groomed. Also, iron-pressing of his clothes would help complete his presentation so the higher-ups take him a bit more seriously.

new topics

top topics

join