It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

AnotherSorryGuy
If I did this type of analysis every time I walked out to the driveway I would never get the car started. Some of you have way too much time on your hands, Its a rock, get over it.

Well NASA seems to be very interested and feel it is somewhat different enough for them to argue over.
Maybe you don't have ENOUGH time, to stop and think once in a while about things.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Hr2burn
To me it looks like insulation that has perhaps seen some heat (from something we put on Mars) there are some winds there, from light to strong. Perhaps it was blown into frame. I just really don't see it as a rock...no, I'm not saying its' a life form and/ or it crawled there.
My turn to say something ridiculous, it's a space hot-pocket, Garnac flavored with jalapeños.

Well many of you are saying things like this, but the thread does mention that NASA has tested the rock and found which minerals it contains.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Hr2burn
To me it looks like insulation that has perhaps seen some heat (from something we put on Mars) there are some winds there, from light to strong. Perhaps it was blown into frame. I just really don't see it as a rock...no, I'm not saying its' a life form and/ or it crawled there.
My turn to say something ridiculous, it's a space hot-pocket, Garnac flavored with jalapeños.

Well many of you are saying things like this, but the thread does mention that NASA has tested the rock and found which minerals it contains.

Please provide the post link..

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

violet
It doesn't look like it was accidentally moved there by the rover. All the rocks or gravel in the surrounding area aren't dusturbed. I don't know the scale of what's shown on the surface. How big would this rock be?

It’s about the size of a jelly doughnut,” Mr. Squyres told Discovery News

www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

awakehuman

Char-Lee

Hr2burn

Please provide the post link..

I read the thread and it was in there I used the link at that time to NASA and read it. I am not going to reread the thread to find it.

NM I ran across it reading an outside source...

Based on the preliminary findings of the “jelly,” the rock is “nothing like we’ve seen before” and it is high in magnesium and sulfur and double the amount of manganese seen in other Mars rocks. “We’re completely confused and having a wonderful time,” said Squyres.

www.ibtimes.com...
edit on 18-1-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

grey580
Link

This is interesting. It's a rock. But how did it get there?
They speculate possibly a meteor event or even the rover itself flipping the rock over.
Or maybe it's some Alien teens playing a prank.
But it's interesting nonetheless.

After a decade of exploring the Martian surface, the scientists overseeing veteran rover Opportunity thought they’d seen it all. That was until a rock mysteriously “appeared” a few feet in front of the six wheeled rover a few days ago.

News of the errant rock was announced by NASA Mars Exploration Rover lead scientist Steve Squyres of Cornell University at a special NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory “10 years of roving Mars” event at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, Calif., on Thursday night. The science star-studded public event was held in celebration of the decade since twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity landed on the red planet in January 2004.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I overlayed the photos and have one at 50% opacity. The differences seem to show track marks

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Maybe the Rover put the rock there. Maybe they are trying to grow something. It looks like a piece of opened aluminum foil with soil inside it.

Seems to me we should be finding out if anything will grow on Mars. Mini sprinkler on the Rover, you know? ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Did they use different processes for developing before, and after? Maybe the first time around (and im not familiar with photography analysis) the exposure was too high and the image didn't process the object in question (or vice versa ie. artifact).. Then again I would think that NASA would know, and not be so interested in it. I'm sure Nasa has done some investigating in the time between these pictures being released, and now. Any update out there?? I'll check, and post back if I find anything relatable.
edit on 18-1-2014 by jeenyus2008 because: George Bush did it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

grey580
Link

This is interesting. It's a rock. But how did it get there?
They speculate possibly a meteor event or even the rover itself flipping the rock over.
Or maybe it's some Alien teens playing a prank.
But it's interesting nonetheless.

After a decade of exploring the Martian surface, the scientists overseeing veteran rover Opportunity thought they’d seen it all. That was until a rock mysteriously “appeared” a few feet in front of the six wheeled rover a few days ago.

News of the errant rock was announced by NASA Mars Exploration Rover lead scientist Steve Squyres of Cornell University at a special NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory “10 years of roving Mars” event at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Pasadena, Calif., on Thursday night. The science star-studded public event was held in celebration of the decade since twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity landed on the red planet in January 2004.

Or Could be........

OK Ill Bite

The Alien A.K.A .Elyon/Elohiem/God/Yahwa/ ((( KEVIN FLYNN - TRON ))) LOL! Programer has just overwritten Old code with the New Code making Out place Artifacts !! LOL!

like Here On Earth in the Digital Maxtrix System what Scientist seem now Specualte !!

Hard Evidence for Simulation Hypothesis Uncovered! COMPUTER CODE Discovered Hidden in Superstring Eq
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is reality real? Simulated Universe and Holographic Reality (VIDEO)

Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

"Proof" that the universe is a simulation
page: 1

Well... a Matrix within a Matrix !!

But.. I May be laughing right now ..
about the Kevin Flynn Character Video Game Programer from the Movie Tron and Tron Legacy..

But we may be Laughing ..NOW. if you think about it....

what PPL showing on here on ATS that NASA is Revealing...

real wormholes or Portals to the sun / universe holograms / natural space accelerators

all leading too this speculation ,,,,,

I say not like the matrix more like Tron ..

or Much like the !!!
The 13th Floor

edit on 18-1-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

jlafleur02
I overlayed the photos and have one at 50% opacity. The differences seem to show track marks

I think the patterns you see there are due to your overlapping not being perfect, and some pebbles, rocks, and other features are being repeated side-by-side in some portions of the image.

I think the overlapping at the object in question was done well, but I think one image is slightly larger than the other (maybe slight stretched at the top portion of the image), and as you move out from the center, the repeating features become more apparent.

Symptoms of this overlap-repeat can be seen in the places I highlighted below:

edit on 1/18/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

NASA said they played back their video and found the rover didn't go over that area.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Got a feelin' that's a yorkshire pudding.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The Curiosity rover can move at a speed of about 30 centimeters (~1 foot) per minute. The rock in question should weigh about 200 grams ( a little under 1/2 lb.) in Mars' gravity. I'm having a little trouble picturing such a rock getting stuck on one of the rover's wheels and being flung off with enough force to apparently land well away from Curiosity. If the rock had simply fallen off the wheel, shouldn't we see some imprint of that wheel at or very near the rock ? I see none.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: corrected word choice

edit on 18-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: added English measurement units

edit on 18-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: added question mark

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Ross 54
The Curiosity rover can move at a speed of about 30 centimeters per minute. The rock in question should weigh about 200 grams (in Mars' gravity). I'm having a little trouble picturing such a rock getting stuck on one of the rover's wheels and being flung off with enough force to apparently land well away from Curiosity. If the rock had simply fallen off the wheel, shouldn't we see some imprint of that wheel at or very near the rock. I see none.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: corrected word choice

As Squyres said in some of the articles about this, the Rover made a turn, and one of the wheels may have been a little jambed, which causes it to "chatter". If the wheel was on top of a rock, that chatter could have caused the rock to "tiddlywink" its way from under the rover's wheel to where it landed.

I remember playing tiddlywinks, and it didn't require any speed at all to make a chip flip; just pressure. All it takes is the right amount of pressure to make the chip zip across the room.

edit on 1/18/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I like a good mystery but I'm thinkin' the rock was there the whole time - it was just the shadows that moved (when the sun shifted position and the altered shadows brought the rock into full view).

link   
nm I can see I was off on this thought.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

link   
Tiddlywinks are quite smooth by design. One can slip out from under another very easily, under pressure. Given a rock with a rough, irregular surface, and the cleated wheel of the rover, I wonder if such a thing is very likely to happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think after a few cocktails, for $h!ts and giggles, Joe (below), threw it in front of the rover!

I’m sure after waking up the next day with a colossal hangover, “Joe”, the Martian f-up, was thinking to himself, “$h!t”, no one’s going to want to party with me anymore”!

edit on 18-1-2014 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

It's a rock...until I see a little rock-flipping martian in the picture...it will only be a rock - mostly likely deposited there by the most mundane and non-sensational of events; e.g. they're telling what they believe is to be the truth (and quite probably the simplest and most likely answer at the same time).

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join