It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Vug. A term I just learned in my science class (well, on Wikipedia, which doubles as my science class).

en.wikipedia.org...

Vugs (also spelled vugh) are small to medium-sized cavities inside rock that may be formed through a variety of processes. Most commonly cracks and fissures opened by tectonic activity (folding and faulting) are partially filled by quartz, calcite, and other secondary minerals. Open spaces within ancient collapse breccias are another important source of vugs. Vugs may also result when mineral crystals or fossils inside a rock matrix are later removed through erosion or dissolution processes, leaving behind irregular voids.

So, there is a faint chance that the rock, upside down and then flipped over, may have once held a fossil which dissoluted, decayed, decomposed, i.e. a dead parrot long gone. Maybe hints of that past occupant of the rock are one of the things NASA is checking for.
edit on 21-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Just finished reading the whole thread... phew.
I think it weird that NASA bother to mention a rock which has been 'tiddlywinked' out from under the rovers wheel. Why now?
If the wheels regularly pinch and squeeze rocks out from between them and hard stones the wheels move over, I really dont see this is a big deal. So why was it brought up by NASA and why are they pointing this out to us? Maybe it is a slight-of-hand exercise. Look this way while I do something over there. Anyway..

You see the before and after photos that ArMap posted? well, it is strange that we have both pictures and why would they show the before image with a part of the solar panel in it. In my experience, I believe that they often use parts of the rover overlaid on the scene to hide interesting things which are in the image. That may be the case here.

Maybe we can find a wider angle to see where everything fits in ? Maybe we can join a few up and see what it looks like and whether the rock was catapulted very far or only a few inches from its previous position? Are we certain that IS the same rock but just turned over? (actually, I think we have found the rock in the post above which we see in the 'after' photo. The 'twin'.)

As ArMaP says, the different drive codes mean that the rover has probably moved, even though they say that the rover has stayed in the same area. However, to get back to almost the exact same place for the photos 12 days apart(first post before and after shot) is amazing.

As Char-lee says on page 7, I believe I remember the rover Opportunity only moves very slowly - like a few centimetres per second(maybe 4 or 5cm/s), so it is not like it is doing wheelies which is what they have us believe in the other Opportunity shots of the circular wheelie tracks it has made previously.

It does look as if this thing might have been deposited by water or liquid as there are areas of darker soil.

THERE IS NO WIND CAPABLE OF BLOWING THIS SIZED ROCK - look at the blueberries or small pebbles, small and easily blown into piles. But... No, they're not.

Silcone Synapse -

Very weird. looks almost like a fungus to me-Please don't bring it back to Earth NASA,we don't want a "the blob" situation thanks you very much.
ahh well, yes there are others who think they are fungi too. Possible new classification opportunity for concretion spherules (blueberries) on Mars. and Mushrooms on Mars

In the post above on this page, the 'shadow' or place where a rock had been sitting next to our rock's twin, could be where water pooled which has partially dried out.
edit on 21 Jan 2014 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

Even though Opportunity hasn't moved its position between Sol 3528 and Sol 3540, it was still doing some maneuvers during that time. I can imagine a scenario where the spinning of a wheel may have kicked up a rock that was beneath the wheel.

People please this is whats happned! nothing is up there apart from human rovers!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Please read the information about Oppo, on wikipedia if you like, or about Spirit, but it cannot spin wheels like a boy-racer and only moves very slowly, max of 5 centimetres a second.

Maximum speed is 5 centimetres per second (2.0 in/s);[16] 0.18 kilometers per hour (0.11 mph), although average speed is about 1 centimetre per second (0.39 in/s)

edit on 21 Jan 2014 by qmantoo because: speed

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

CaptainBeno
Okay I have an explanation........of sorts??

Melted Solar panel..............anyone?

Grrrrr. I cannot find a picture of an individual melted solar panel. But with not atmosphere to speak of would it just shrivel up and burn...ish to a lump such as the first photo?

looking at the first pic,would it not all fold into intself?it seems to me that if you rolled up the sides they would fit into the cavity/dip. And do my eyes decieve me or is there a stem growing from the centre of the cavity?

edit on 21-1-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Aha you made a thead that blueberries/newberries are martian mushrooms. You may be right? Pinacle islands twin although no identicle gives credence to this hypothesis. Also what kind of bad weather do you get on mars?The rover has not moved because of bad weather?

The only other explantion is a meteorite/volcanic vent exploded nearby and pinacle island and twin are ejecta/debris.
I dont know,the disturbed ground linked to earlier suggests this scenario. But im screaming "LIFE"
it might not be martian life,it may be intersteller life brought by meteor. Did a baby superman crawl out?lol

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Arken

Char-Lee
This rock looks like a similar thing doe

marsrover.nasa.gov... [/quo

If it is not the same "rock" for sure is its twin....

just at the edge of your yellow circle at around 4 oclock there appears to be a silver bullet shaped rock which has a largeish shadow. If it opened would have the sameish shape as the twin and pinacle island?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

CaptainBeno
reply to post by Char-Lee

Using your picture, not only does it look like it, it also looks as if it has moved OR the offending similar rock that was next to it was removed????????? The footprint is still there like it was picked up???????????

Here I have (Badly) zoomed in

sorry ,i meant this pic , does the bullet at 4 oclockis look to be floating a wee bit?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

I was thinking if it were a plant type or ;marsamal; type there should be others in the area.

i have named mars animals Marsamals like it

edit on 21-1-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

NASA says it is bright red in that dark area.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Good point Char-Lee!

I agree. I'm sure that NASA does not expose to the world everything they know, but the things they do expose are, in my opinion, things they 'can't hide'. We have astronomers , cameras, telescopes, satelites, etc. It's a little harder to keep the wool over our eyes these days...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

very much so, I smell a future pet industry in the making,just hope they can be house trained

funBox

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
NASA will hold a press conference on Thursday, the 23rd, to mark the date of the Opportunity rover's 10th anniversary on Mars. The mysteriously appearing object, and whatever has been learned about it by then, will doubtless be a prominent topic at the conference. It will be held at 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (11 a.m. Pacific, 1900 GMT). The press conference can be viewed live, and archived, online, on NASA TV.
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 21-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: added information

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Ross 54
NASA will hold a press conference on Thursday, the 23rd, to mark the date of the Opportunity rover's 10th anniversary on Mars. The mysteriously appearing rock, if it is a rock, will doubtless be a prominent topic at the conference. It will be held at 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (11 a.m. Pacific, 1900 GMT). The press conference can be viewed live, and archived, online, on NASA TV.
www.nasa.gov...

They may have much more to announce at the press conference. Check out BuzzDengue's find, and funbox's zoomed-in pic, of a possible/likely Mars fossil. If this isn't it, it's very close to the goal line. Start at this post and then on from there:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-1-2014 by Aleister because: spelling "of"

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ototheb85

Ok so now explain the sunstance in the rock they have never encountered before. It is alien goo.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

funbox

very much so, I smell a future pet industry in the making,just hope they can be house trained

funBox

NOOOOOO!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
mystery rock...

...So far, there are two theories about the rock’s origin.

The first is that the Opportunity rover itself flipped the rock over as it rolled forward, while the second is that the mysterious rock just landed there after a meteorite impact nearby. However, the latter is highly unlikely, the researchers say.

...Russia Today — Jan 19, 2014

Above: the rock (right) and the view taken by the rover just days before (left)

The rock that suddenly appeared next to the NASA’s Opportunity rover in the beginning of January turns out to have an irregular chemical composition for Mars: it has too much sulfur, magnesium and manganese, scientists say.

source: www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

so... it appears to not be Mars rock... but only a rock that landed on Mars...

the far outside chance is that the rock was a fragment that landed on Mars between Sol3528 to Sol3540. unless it was flipped there and is revealing the bottom side after sitting there with the top side up for millions of years

i embrace the 'new' meteorite fragment explaination....

btw--- if it is an ISON comet debris rock, the chemical & mineral content would need to be of a primordial nature wouldn't it ...
edit on nd31139040245622542014 by St Udio because: emphasis on new info

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Do you remember the rabbit ears when the rovers first landed. It was explained away.

What we have here is some aluminum foil that got left on the floor after they were adding to the mars site mock-up.

Or, some intelligence left it there as they were standing around the rover to look at it.

Or, it's some creature making it's way along the ground like all the other thick shelled creatures you can see all during the rover escapades there.

Or, someone dropped a jelly doughnut.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What are the odds, really, of Opportunity dislodging a rock, which apparently hasn't happened before, in its 10 year long sojourn on Mars, and then finding that it has anomalous colors, and a mineral composition, never before seen on Mars?
The rover can't have selected the sort of rock it would disturb. There would seem to be a connection between the sudden appearance of the 'rock' and its make-up.

Perhaps we are looking at a living thing, capable of movement, and armored with a mineralized exterior, to protect it from the harsh radiation regime and low temperatures on Mars.
edit on 22-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
nasa are geeks. they get xcited by rocks and numbers.
it's just a rock.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join