It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

lol

after watching your video I'm lol so hard I can hardly type.

For it has come to this.

Edit: And you put it up on youtube. I hope it gets a million hits. lol (my first edit was adding the word "after")

edit on 20-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Aleister
lol

after watching your video I'm lol so hard I can hardly type.

For it has come to this.

If I can test something I am interested in, I do it, I do not just take other people's word for it.

It's much fun that way.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Oh, I'm not criticizing, it's the way to go. It struck me as funny. But I did go back to watch it again, and you changed your video, so I'm not lol as much anymore. The first one was much funnier when your first attempt failed. Now I hope it gets a million hits, but I'm lucky I saw it before the fix. Thanks.

I'm sure now that NASA and the other agencies are running this test with a Rover duplicate and "rocks" made to the same proportion as the rock in question. And it must have been a very clean flip, and up and down, because the evidence of a flip isn't obvious in the pics.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Another option is a stone broke and thats a splinter. Like a stone ruler snapping.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Another option is a stone broke and thats a splinter. Like a stone ruler snapping.

NASA would have probably looked for that possibility in their past pictures and announced it when they made the announcement of the "found art" discovery of this rock. A good theory though, as good as any, a rock breaking when the wheel ran over it and a portion of it being sprung to its present postition.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
They have a duplicate of the Opportunity rover at NASA, to simulate problems and situations the one on Mars runs into. They could be driving it over an artificial rock of the same size and shape as the object on Mars, trying to squirt it out one to two meters from under the wheel.
If the rover had pneumatic tires I'd say they might be onto something. Rocks will skitter out from under car, and even bicycle tires occasionally, but most of the force is due to the compression of the tire by the rock, and then its sudden rebound. Opportunity doesn't have pneumatic tires, though.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Okay I have an explanation........of sorts??

Melted Solar panel..............anyone?

Grrrrr. I cannot find a picture of an individual melted solar panel. But with not atmosphere to speak of would it just shrivel up and burn...ish to a lump such as the first photo?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Aleister
Oh, I'm not criticizing, it's the way to go. It struck me as funny. But I did go back to watch it again, and you changed your video, so I'm not lol as much anymore. The first one was much funnier when your first attempt failed. Now I hope it gets a million hits, but I'm lucky I saw it before the fix. Thanks.

I didn't change a thing, I just uploaded it once.

What's the difference between the versions?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I didn`t know they had photoshop on Mars! lol

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Whoops, alternative universe jump. I watched it twice when you at first tried the flip and only moved it a quarter of an inch or so, then you tried again and did the longer flip. When I went back to watch it after your post you only did the one flip. Swear on bibles stacked on my mother's grave (sorry ma), I saw a different video. That was fun.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Good guess, but they've already done a mineral analysis of the rock. So it's a rock, or at least a creature built of minerals (as many folks seem to be hoping).

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Ohhh.........oops!

Thanks for the reply......I really should read the thread huh, I was skimming........

Thanks for letting me know.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This rock looks like a similar thing doesn't it?

marsrover.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
well how did all the other rocks get there?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

you've found the top half of the egg
, o well spotted
I wonder if there's an offending spoon about that has a guilty yokey look about it

funBox

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Using your picture, not only does it look like it, it also looks as if it has moved OR the offending similar rock that was next to it was removed????????? The footprint is still there like it was picked up???????????

Here I have (Badly) zoomed in

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

ArMaP
reply to post by Ross 54

From my experiments, it's more a question of shape than weight.

Coins, with a slight ridge on the edge, jumped vertically, a lithium battery from a watch, with slightly round edges, jumped some 15 times it's diameter.

PS: what kind of rock did you use for those experiments?
For the rock to be propelled I used one with a flattish shape , rounded edges, and a slightly gritty texture. This is probably flatter and smoother than than Mars object, and so, more inclined to jump. For the simulated wheel I used a couple of rocks with curved edges, held vertically.
In experiments since my last post, I used a very smooth surface for the rock to slide across. I got distances of up to three times the diameter of the propelled rock, still far short of the needed distance.
I strongly suspect that a very smooth, flat stone would be needed to get the 15 to 30 times diameter jump needed to fit the Mars situation, especially it it actually jumped, rather than slid across the surface of the Red Planet. The image of the strange 'rock' on Mars do not make it appear particularly smooth or flat.

edit on 20-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure, added information

edit on 20-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: added information

edit on 20-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: corrected punctuation error

edit on 20-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: corrected spelling and capitalization error

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Char-Lee
This rock looks like a similar thing doesn't it?

marsrover.nasa.gov...

Brilliant!

If it is not the same "rock" for sure is its twin....

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hi Arken,

What about the area next to the rock? Looks like an impression of something that "was" there?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

CaptainBeno
reply to post by Arken

Hi Arken,

What about the area next to the rock? Looks like an impression of something that "was" there?

Hi Captain.
Yes. I've noticed it too. A print/impression nearby.
Somethinh has moved the terrain...
Here www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-1-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join