It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

ArMaP

symptomoftheuniverse
and if you compare the last 2 images at around 2 oclock you will notice that the tentacle seems to elongated somewhat. Also its the smoothest thing in the whole image

Now that you added that I see what you mean.

And no, it still doesn't look like a tentacle to me, it really looks more like a blueberry on a stick.

Appearing more or less elongated is probably just the result of a different perspective, as the camera moved from one photo to the other, and if the "tentacle" (it's a better name than "blueberry on a stick") is lower on the side of the rock (for the lack of a better name) it will appear to move when seen from a higher or lower point of view when compared with the edge of the rock.

See the animation below.

(click for full size)
its either a newberry on a stick or the martian version of these types of animal www.marlin.ac.uk...
For those who dont read all the posts ,the tentacle is around 2oclock in the gif above

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

im a terrible reader of posts most times , but I still don't see the protrusion. did you see the tenticular ones on the last pic?

there's a few light and dark indicators on this one

probably nothing tho

funBox

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Its a trick of the light, notice how in the after photo the shadows are darker and longer. If you look closely the rock is there in the first photo but just reflecting the light a lot more and no shadows.

Oh alright, it s marsh gas.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Lost in the speculations about what this is and how it got there is the mineral composition, which is what's interesting NASA and other scientists. Can anyone here do a chemical/metal analysis of why this find is important? Thanks.

By the way, the rover this pertains to is Opportunity, not Curiosity. I've read a couple of posts where this isn't clear to the poster. And this discovery was announced at the 10th anniversary celebration for Opportunity, which, if it keeps running for a few more years, will enter its terrible teens.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

absolutely right Aliester this rock is interesting enough with out my additional otherworldly protrusions
ill save my wilder speculation for other threads, this rock has the official seal of unusualness from nasa
, hope it not a mind blank

funBox

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

funbox

absolutely right Aliester this rock is interesting enough with out my additional otherworldly protrusions
ill save my wilder speculation for other threads, this rock has the official seal of unusualness from nasa
, hope it not a mind blank

funBox

No, this is fun too. I think I mentioned the protrusions in my first post which I'm too lazy a/o scared to look at. I'm glad its an unusual shaped rock that leaped into the picture (literally) and not one of the average looking pebbles sitting about.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I was looking at the pictures on quite a large plasma last night *highly recommended* , the more I look the more I get the feeling its flipped, a very small distance in place, it seems to be there , little shadows showing something with segmenta or curved lips, as if the surface was undulating in a rotating linear fashion, . it is really difficult to see , the exposure is quite bad , difficult to get information even with altering contrasts curves etc..but this road, a small flip in place, opens up all sorts of questions.

funBox

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The tentacle seems to have a lttle face,ahhh.
Its alive its alive its alive

Its alien life , and scientists should accept it. It can not be a meteorite,it has a blueberry/tentacle on it. It could not rolled there,tiddlywinked?to rough should be a fit near the wheels. Volcanic vent exploded? Wheres the vent volcano?

We have a rock appear, with a tentacle where feet would allow it to move is. The thing walked there very delicatly eating rock/rust. May be its having babies, .
When i imagine life on mars i imagine something like this..afterall life is a symptom of the universe

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

Its alien life , and scientists should accept it. It can not be a meteorite,it has a blueberry/tentacle on it. It could not rolled there,tiddlywinked?to rough should be a fit near the wheels. Volcanic vent exploded? Wheres the vent volcano? ...

Preliminary analysis shows that it is high in sulfur and manganese. I suppose could be somehow possibly be a living thing high in sulfur and manganese, but that analysis makes it seem more likely that it is a rock.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

symptomoftheuniverse

Its alien life , and scientists should accept it. It can not be a meteorite,it has a blueberry/tentacle on it. It could not rolled there,tiddlywinked?to rough should be a fit near the wheels. Volcanic vent exploded? Wheres the vent volcano? ...

Preliminary analysis shows that it is high in sulfur and manganese. I suppose could be somehow possibly be a living thing high in sulfur and manganese, but that analysis makes it seem more likely that it is a rock.

when will we have a definative answer? And can they flip that thing over ,or run it over?
If it is life how will we know? Blood? Legs? An eye? How will we decide?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Arken

Indigent
reply to post by Zarniwoop

thin atmosphere wind? who knows

hey arken have you try to see the original data and corroborate this movement, you are the expert after all
edit on 17-1-2014 by Indigent because: grammar

Here you go, Indigent
BEFORE

marsrover.nasa.gov...

AFTER

marsrover.nasa.gov...
edit on 17-1-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Now I am far from an expert, but from Arken's before and after pictures, look closely at the before shot where the "Rock" appears...the is clearly an outline exactly where the stone "will be" (gone in the "after" shot) also notice the change in the angle and zoom (although minimal, it could change the shadows and make it seem like there was nothing there)

I want it to be an alien walking rock or Alien teens throwing rocks at the rover as much as the other guy, but IDK.....
edit on 20-1-2014 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

In the second pic there appears to be a blueberry on the ground near the rock/lifeform. Could the rock/lifeform be picking up/stroke depositing blueberries as seen in armaps gif?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
reply to post by Teye22

In the second pic there appears to be a blueberry on the ground near the rock/lifeform. Could the rock/lifeform be picking up/stroke depositing blueberries as seen in armaps gif?

I am really not trying to argue or discredit anything posted here because as I stated in my previous post, I am no expert...but I am a believer in "life out there" but blueberries?!?

How do you get blueberries from a black dot on a picture without color?

Just saying....

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

If you google martian blueberries or martian newberries(like blueberries but significantly different) then you may or may not understand.

That rock has a tentacle/newberry sticking out of it. I am saying tentacle because the rocked walked there,others are saying newberry on a stick,which is on a rock,which they think is upside down,which got to its present position,because of a tiddlywink effect from a wheel.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

its the ninkname they were given, the little spherical object that can appear all over the place
there on loads of rover pics

funBox

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Teye22

Arken

Indigent
reply to post by Zarniwoop

thin atmosphere wind? who knows

hey arken have you try to see the original data and corroborate this movement, you are the expert after all
edit on 17-1-2014 by Indigent because: grammar

Here you go, Indigent
BEFORE

marsrover.nasa.gov...

AFTER

marsrover.nasa.gov...
edit on 17-1-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Now I am far from an expert, but from Arken's before and after pictures, look closely at the before shot where the "Rock" appears...the is clearly an outline exactly where the stone "will be" (gone in the "after" shot) also notice the change in the angle and zoom (although minimal, it could change the shadows and make it seem like there was nothing there)

I want it to be an alien walking rock or Alien teens throwing rocks at the rover as much as the other guy, but IDK.....
edit on 20-1-2014 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

I notitced the outline as well-But heres the thing-
That 1st image(no rock)should have shown the rock to have been sticking out more,not less due to the angle the camera is at.
The second image(with rock)should have appeared flatter than the first,as the camera is looking almost straight down at it.

Very weird.
looks almost like a fungus to me-Please don't bring it back to Earth NASA,we don't want a "the blob" situation thanks you very much.

edit on 20/1/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ok well the replies i got answered my questions... It makes sense also. Thanks all

And i also agree with NOT bringing this thing Back to earth... Should it be a living organism we dont know what the impacts would be on our planet.... The blob.... Lol

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Further thoughts on the 'tiddlywinks' explanation suggested for the mysterious appearance of the now famous Mars object. A rock supposedly got pressed on by the rover's wheel, and hopped out and away under pressure. The thing would have had to hop a meter or two from the nearest position of the Opportunity rover; about 15 to 30 times its own diameter.
That rock, if it is a rock, looks quite rough, thick and irregular. Tiddlywinks are smooth, thin, and very light in weight, which is why they hop so well.
Try, as I did, to play tiddlywinks, first with a couple of buttons, and then with a rough stone and a rounded object, like an upright wheel, pressing down on its edge. I found that the button flew so far, I lost it. The best that could be managed with the stone was about the same distance as its diameter. One the scale of the Mars 'rock', this would amount to seven or eight centimeters. That's 92 or 93 cm short of the mark, at least.
I hope that Dr. Squyers and NASA have another explanation in mind. I don't think that a meteorite is a reasonable possibility, either. What are the odds of such a space rock dropping down within this infinitesimally small area of Mars' surface, just when the Opportunity rover happened to be waiting around to spot it?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Good point, and creates a very funny mental picture. I can see NASA, JPL, and European Space Agency scientists gathered around rocks of many sizes and shapes, playing tiddlywinks to measure the distances as you have. Duplication of the event would be the aim, and you know, they actually have to be doing this. To try to duplicate it. So the funny mental picture is likely occurring. I hope they release the results (if not the videotapes).

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

From my experiments, it's more a question of shape than weight.

Coins, with a slight ridge on the edge, jumped vertically, a lithium battery from a watch, with slightly round edges, jumped some 15 times it's diameter.

PS: what kind of rock did you use for those experiments?

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join