It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Char-Lee

symptomoftheuniverse

ArMaP
reply to post by templar knight

Are you ignoring the possibility of that rock having been thrown by a wheel of the rover pressing it on one side, making it jump?
its not a rock-deny ignorance

Well NASA said it is made up of three minerals mainly soooo
so are your bones,figernails,teeth,hair sooooo

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
its not a rock-deny ignorance

If not, what is it?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
so are your bones,figernails,teeth,hair sooooo

Fingernails and hair are made of keratin, not minerals.

Bones and teeth are mostly made of minerals, specially calcium.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Its alive, did you see the tentacle?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I would suspect that the rover team has probably tested the "tidlywink" theory, since they have a working model, which also has suspension to compensate for a 38% of Earth's gravity, which would make the 400 lb opportunity rover 182 pounds on Mars. The rock that they would use would have to be compensated for Mars weight as well. That is approximately 45 lbs of weight on each wheel. If the wheel clipped the edge of a say, 1 lb rock, would it be enough force to flip the rock that distance? Perhaps, but seems like a real stretch.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
reply to post by ArMaP

Its alive, did you see the tentacle?

I don't see anything looking like a tentacle, but even if it has a tentacle-like part it doesn't mean it's alive.

A dead octopus has eight tentacles and it's not alive.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

charlyv
If the wheel clipped the edge of a say, 1 lb rock, would it be enough force to flip the rock that distance?

What's the distance?

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

ArMaP

charlyv
If the wheel clipped the edge of a say, 1 lb rock, would it be enough force to flip the rock that distance?

What's the distance?

From what I can gather, it is 2 to 3 feet.
If anyone knows the exact distance, chime in.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

are you saying its dead? How do you know that? And if its not a tenticle what is it? A blueberry on a stick?
I hope we are not going down i can not see anything road.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Blister
Preliminary analysis suggests that Opportunity caused the rock known as "Pinnacle Island" to become dislodged and moved to its present location. Rover wheel was very close to or in contact with the rock previously. Of note is the fact that the robotic arm was also in extremely close vicinity to the rock prior to its apparent movement.

The following picture shows "Pinnacle Island" in its previous location, prior to movement to its current location (note that the rock had been scuffed at and moved previously. See marsrover.nasa.gov...):

Source: marsrover.nasa.gov...

Here is another view from a different angle:

Then the SOL3540 image:

Since SOL3540 Opportunity has been conducting close examination of "Pinnacle Island":

The images from the Microscopic Imager are being taken from an angle furthest away from the rover. So the viewer is seeing a reverse close-in shot of "Pinnacle Island". The rock appears to have been flipped over in the process of being moved.

Note the orientation and shape of nearby stones which match those seen in above (post-movement) pictures. Of interest is the light-colored matter that has either fallen from "Pinnacle Island" or been scraped from it upon landing and falling over to reach its current position.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Blister because: Add scuffing source
and if you compare the last 2 images at around 2 oclock you will notice that the tentacle seems to elongated somewhat. Also its the smoothest thing in the whole image
edit on 19-1-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: added extra info

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

It almost looks like the material was once viscous, and conformed to the surface, as if you took some plaster and dumped it in a dollop.
Either that or the contact with the surface interacted and ate away part of the "rock". Really cool and detailed pics.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
are you saying its dead?

No, just that it looks like a rock and all the rocks I know are not alive.

How do you know that?

I do not, it's just an opinion.

And if its not a tenticle what is it? A blueberry on a stick?
I hope we are not going down i can not see anything road.

As long as you base your ideas in something that you present to others as "top right corner", without saying exactly what you are seeing, then we may go down any road, as nobody can really know what you're talking about.

Make a circle around it or something like that, then we can know if we are talking about the same thing.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Seems it was on the run, trying to get away from the freaky alien on Mars, poor thing! Now they will drill holes all over it.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
and if you compare the last 2 images at around 2 oclock you will notice that the tentacle seems to elongated somewhat. Also its the smoothest thing in the whole image

Now that you added that I see what you mean.

And no, it still doesn't look like a tentacle to me, it really looks more like a blueberry on a stick.

Appearing more or less elongated is probably just the result of a different perspective, as the camera moved from one photo to the other, and if the "tentacle" (it's a better name than "blueberry on a stick") is lower on the side of the rock (for the lack of a better name) it will appear to move when seen from a higher or lower point of view when compared with the edge of the rock.

See the animation below.

(click for full size)

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

ArMaP

symptomoftheuniverse

Now that you added that I see what you mean.

And no, it still doesn't look like a tentacle to me, it really looks more like a blueberry on a stick.

Appearing more or less elongated is probably just the result of a different perspective, as the camera moved from one photo to the other, and if the "tentacle" (it's a better name than "blueberry on a stick") is lower on the side of the rock (for the lack of a better name) it will appear to move when seen from a higher or lower point of view when compared with the edge of the rock.

See the animation below.

(click for full size)
thankyou armap,brilliant.
There must be other images with blueberries on sticks,i will go looking for some. This moving rock/life form sure is weird indeed.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Dr. Steve Squyres of NASA has remarked that the Curiosity rover never drove over the site of the Pinnacle Island rock. It executed a ''turn in place' a meter or two away from this location. That's quite a hop for a rough-appearing rock to have made, just because it got lodged between the wheel and the surface of Mars, and was then thrust out again.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

May be a newberry on a stem. themeridianijournal.com... themeridianijournal.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

bluberry on a stick ? which image is that in?

although theres something stalky going on in sol

funBox

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
reply to post by grey580

[snip]

Definitely going with aliens on this one. Seems the most logical of all possible explanations.
edit on 17-1-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

No, aliens is not the most logical explanation. Because for this to be the most logical explanation, we have to make too many assumptions. We have to assume that first aliens exist. Then we have to assume that aliens are present on or visiting Mars. Then we have to assume that these aliens were very near to the rover. Then we have to assume that they remained undetected while so close to the rover. Then we have to assume that they would find something like this humorous, and thus went ahead and, undetected, placed a rock in front of the camera.

It is WAY more likely that the rover itself is responsible for the rock getting there. This explanation makes far fewer assumptions, and doesn't depend on as many unknowns. We know that the rover is in contact with the ground, and that there are many rocks strewn about the surface. Therefore the most logical explanation is that the rover pushed one there. I haven't seen any footage that shows a rock falling into frame, or materializing out of nothing. It was pushed there. Even a meteor impact somewhere in the distance, and then kicking up a rock and sending it flying toward the rover is a more likely explanation than aliens placing it there...And the meteor event is still highly unlikely.

And then there is the fact that had they seen aliens and not said anything, why would they then draw attention to the rock itself? JPL are the ones who mentioned it, or one of their employees. Are we to make all the assumptions I already mentioned, and then further assume that there is some massive coverup, where they thought it would be prudent to go ahead and point the event out before someone else noticed it? This is a ridiculous notion.

Granted, there is a small bit of evidence suggesting conspiracies inside the government when it comes to UFO's, NOT aliens, but UFO's, but too many people take things too far. I agree that the high number of eyewitness encounters regarding UFO's means that something is going on. This was why I believed in bigfoot before I had an encounter, as thousands of sighting reports are not hoaxed, and thousands of bears are not misidentified to the point that the witnesses report what has actually been reported.

The main difference, however, between the two different subjects and their sightings, is that the majority of UFO reports document people seeing strange lights in the sky. Having been in the US Air Force, I used to watch the jets and planes above the base whenever I could, and I can attest that unless one is used to looking up, even conventional aircraft can seem quite strange. Turns and banking maneuvers, not to mention some of the maneuvers that fighter pilots like to do, at night, can look like lights appearing and disappearing, due to the angle changes. There is a whole host of stuff that could be mistaken, because people are accustomed to looking at their surroundings, and therefore they are much better at judging sizes, distances, etc. of things on the ground, not things in the air. Pilots are more accustomed to making judgements of things in the air, and this is why I believe their encounters hold more weight. But like I said, with bigfoot, people are on the ground, and they are not having to guess at certain things.

There are just a ton of phenomena that can cause lights in the sky. Remote controlled planes and helicopters, planes, jets, helicopters, earthquake lights, ball lightning, electicity, static discharges, etc...There are a whole host of things to explain lights in the sky. This is not so with sasquatch. It is either a bear, a sasquatch, an escaped primate, or a hoax. And a bear is not easily mistaken for a sasquatch if there is a clear view. They are just too different. Only those who know nothing of the subject, or human nature considering the sheer number of sighting reports, would say all these people are lying or are seeing a bear, as no other animals look even remotely similar.

I am just using the bigfoot analogy to illustrate why eyewitness encounters would be more meaningful in some instances as opposed to others, or why they are more meaningful for an entire subject, as opposed to others.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think that rock has a story to tell... as the very last remnant of ISON...

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join