It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human extinction within 100 years warns scientist

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Human extinction will occurr in the next 8 years. Polar ice will melt, seas will rise, earthquakes will happen. All at the hands of mankind. Nuclear bombs will cause much of this, however, several large asteroids will also help beginning in 2006.

Care to elaborate on how you received this information?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The actual text of Revelations, the hidden text (bible codes), and absolute faith in mankinds stupidity.

Link exodus2006.com...

[edit on 22-11-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
There's no doubt that the human race will persevere.
When NYC is flooded people will awake from their slumber! It never too late , who knows one day everybody in the world may just stop using gas !
Hey, great efforts of man have taken place before, if it depends on their survival they'll do it . Man is selfish after all - NO DENYING THAT!
Anybody who's faced with a life and death decision will do his/her best to stay alive no matter what( well mostly
)
Raising water levels will in all probability just be a great inconvenience for most [many may die also] and also economics plays an important part in people�s decisions.
If any of you have read ASIMOV's "the GODS themselves" you might remember that in it he shows that the cure to the smoking problem was not to stop smoking but to create a cigarette that was not harmful to health and the environment.
I'm not implying anything ! but just want to say that when the time comes we (humanity) will solve it.
HAVE FAITH!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I was thinking of 1000 ft tidal waves. Slumbering NYC would be sleeping a long time after this. Rem the movie Deep Impact.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
I was thinking of 1000 ft tidal waves. Slumbering NYC would be sleeping a long time after this. Rem the movie Deep Impact.

I've seen it, waves a 1000 ft?
Deep impact is about a asteroid/comet crash , right?
How about the movie 'The Day after tommorow' ?. That could happen!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Yes, I think the science behind the Day After Tomorrow is sound. But the hollywood morons that put in the politics screwed up the movie.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I hear the book is much better and based on pure science(at least thats what ive been told) I'm borrowing the book from the library soon.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You know, maybe extinction or at least a large-scale cutback in the number of humans inhabiting the earth, its getting a bit crowded on the ole mudball, and maybe we could use a reminder that we are not gods, no matter our technological advances.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Polar Bear, looks like we're getting that cold here in Finland... last week has been much over 5 Cs colder than what has been normal in last decade.

Science - Reuters
Reuters
As Ice Thaws, Arctic Peoples at Loss for Words

2 hours, 33 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Science - Reuters

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (Reuters) - What are the words used by indigenous peoples in the Arctic for "hornet," "robin," "elk," "barn owl" or "salmon?" If you don't know, you're not alone.

Many indigenous languages have no words for legions of new animals, insects and plants advancing north as global warming thaws the polar ice and lets forests creep over tundra.

"We can't even describe what we're seeing," said Sheila Watt-Cloutier, chair of the Inuit Circumpolar Conference (news - web sites) which says it represents 155,000 people in Canada, Alaska, Greenland and Russia. etc....

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20041122/sc_nm/environment_arctic_dc&e=4

I'm at a loss for words ET

E_T

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mockan
And IF the south polar cap melts we would have a continent
with land area almost 1.5 times that of the US to adapt to...
LOL
Much of Antarctis is under water. And even melting of that ice and snow wouldn't make it habitable.
And rise in sealevel from all that water would destroy huge amount of big population centers and fertile coastal areas.

I bet also that many wouldn't want to live in place where night is half year long.

Althought I and Polar Bear might not notice so big difference.

Originally posted by taibunsuu
Hmmm, doesn't water expand when it turns to ice, and therefor less ice would equal lower coastlines?

If things get warmer, people can migrate into uninhabitable zones of the arctic.
Find out how low sea level was on last ice age when glaciers covered most of high latitute land areas. (and contained much more water than currently)

Even small decrease in "that" North Atlantic current (/Golf stream) could cause much colder winters/shorter summers in high latitudes.
And in case if climate becomes warmer there is also trade-off: it also means much more pests and diseases attacking to grains. Cold winters kills much of those very effectively.
Looks like coming winter will be long and cold if this continues but at least it would take out those Colorado beetles which are trying to invade Finland.

But today was nice warm day, (just ~5 Cs colder than normally) only -10 C (14 F). Last few days had northern wind with -15 C which easily makes effective temperature to drop around -30 C (~ -20 F).
Normally this cold weather starts near christmas.

I'm really wondering who chose (and why) reference points for Fahrenheit scale, having zero as water's freezing point is very logical.

And after all, form of water is very important to life as we know it.
www.convert-me.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The temperature on the planet goes through a 15 year, a 25 year and a 100 year cycle. Up Down, Up, Down, Down, Up Up, Down, Up.

When I was a kid like 7-10 years old, winters were very cold in California and summers were very hot with at least 15 or more days breaking over 100. Then as the years went on they would go up down, up down etc. The warmest period was two years ago when we clocked 92 degree and higher in January. Followed by a very mild summer with very few days reaching 100. It looks like this year we are entering into a new colder period, to be followed I am sure with a hotter summer then we have had.

At the same time other locations around the planet are experiencing seasonal changes as well, being a little warmer or a little colder then what they remember over the last say 5 to 6 years, but because the temp cycle is much longer in the 15 year minimum to 100 year range, most people are being a little short sighted when they say that the temperature changes is (unusual or out of the ordinary)

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
robertfenix, just look at the melting glaciers. It's never been this bad since humans have set foot on it and accoriding to ice core samples, it hasn't been this bad since...well you guessed before the last ice age. Now I am not a proponent of the Humans will be extinc in 100 years theory, but we will have to make adjustments in how we live on the planet, and whether or not we are speeding up the process or slowing it down, its a fact. It's best if we learn all we can while we can and work to adapt at the same time. By adapting I mean switch from Oil to somthing much cleaning(hopfully Oil will be completely phased out by the 22nd century). By then we could be right at the tip of a new ice age.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Actually geologically speaking, if memory serves me, there has been a marked ice age every 13,000 years give or take a few. And we are on the geological edge of another. However as far as I am aware never before has a living creature had such a profound impact on nature.
Except for maybe the Dino's?

Polar Bear

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here is the thing. Humans are like rats, ants, and to some extent roaches. Our ability to adapt to our surroundings is what has helped us populate the world. We will not become extinct. I can see a large amount of us dying off, but as far as every single human being extinct it is highly unlikely. Having said that I am sure that the way the world is going it is going to be very uncomfortable to be human for a while. But that is what has happened over and over again. Don't worry everyone... life will go on.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join