It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5,900 Natural Gas Leaks Discovered Under Washington, D.C.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
A group of researchers from Duke University and Boston University has discovered 5900 gas leaks in pipes under Washington D.C.

Apparently over a period of four months, most of the leaks were fixed.

But I wonder how long they were leaking before it took teams of university people to find out about the problem?

Perhaps this explains the "airy" gridlock, general incompetence, and "gassy" attitudes over the past few years?

I wonder how much greenhouse gas was emitted?

Where's the EPA when we need 'em?

5,900 Natural Gas Leaks Discovered Under Washington, D.C.

More than 5,893 leaks from aging natural gas pipelines have been found under the streets of Washington, D.C. by a research team from Duke University and Boston University.

A dozen of the leaks could have posed explosion risks, the researchers said. Some manholes had methane concentrations as high as 500,000 parts per million of natural gas – about 10 times greater than the threshold at which explosions can occur.

Four months after phoning in the leaks to city authorities, the research team returned and found that nine were still emitting dangerous levels of methane. "Finding the leaks a second time, four months after we first reported them, was really surprising," said Robert B. Jackson, a professor of environmental sciences at Duke who led the study.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

As serious an infrastructure failure as that sounds like the first thing that popped into my head was:
    Anybody got a light?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

The NSA, CIA, FBI, DEA, QRS, TUV, WXY, and Z, are soooooo going to hammer you hard for that one !

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

That had crossed my mind.

Too late for me to edit?

Back on topic... fix the pipes!

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

One good thing for Obama....

At least he hasn't "met his match yet".

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Funny, I thought a cesspool was SUPPOSED to smell like that! Well, the good thing is, I could care less ! also, why were they talking about "methane" instead of LNG ? maybe i was right about the cesspool in the firt place. or maybe it was just blue fields and the wind direction was from the south !

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Maybe they sent all the jobs for people that fix that stuff overseas. And the workers that are left were all busy standing around getting paid to lean on a shovel and look busy while their co-workers held down a manhole cover.

If that gas were to explode,it would take alot more than four guys standing on the manhole cover to hold it down.
But our government is busy helping other countries rebuild to spend time and money fixing our own city.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

All the more reason to close down overseas bases, ending wars / conflicts unless it directly threatens our / allies national security and put those funds towards fixing America's infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I worked as a construction electrician and worked in manholes all the time.

We had to gas test everytime we went into one. I have seen many cases of methane in underground vaults where there were no gas lines for miles.

Rotting organic mater produces methane gas.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Well what did they expect when all the crews got outsourced and the people who monitor the pipe got their job cut and shipped overseas.

new topics

top topics

join