It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA Spying Fallout Hits French Satellite Deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The sale of two intelligence satellites by France to the UAE [United Arab Emirates] for nearly $1bln could go bust after the satellites were found to contain US technology designed to intercept data transmitted to the ground station.

A top UAE defence source said that the satellites contain specific US-made components designed to intercept the satellites' communication with their accompanying ground station.
As a result, the UAE might do a deal with the Russians instead:

NSA Spying Fallout Hits French Satellite Deal

A short report - but very much to the point - US communication technology cannot be trusted to be secure.

compare this with the brough-ha regarding Chinese firm Huwaei being locked out of US & other western markets a year or 2 ago and the irony is pretty savage!!

Of course one would expect the Russians to have similar technology ........they just haven't been caught yet!!

As one commenter puts it:

I would expect a competant intelligence agency to collect this kind of stuff. I would also expect a competant intelligence agency not to get caught.

By this measure the NSA is not a competant intelligence agency.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Maybe this will be the first major test case of the Trans-Atlantic Partnership, the French corporation could sue the US government for damages to sales and reputation. Of course, citizens will end up footing the bill, so the TAP seems just another cog in the wealth-transfer gears.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
No one in their right mind would buy us made tech especially communications unless they had the resources to analyze ever compolent first or they didn't care if there were a bunch of nsa agents getting their jollies from listening.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Aloysius the Gaul from the first post

A top UAE defence source said that the satellites contain specific US-made components designed to intercept the satellites' communication with their accompanying ground station.
As a result, the UAE might do a deal with the Russians instead:

Just a few short years ago those remarks would have been taken as quite extraordinary - an absolute impossibility, and whomever would have uttered such a ridiculous idea as that would have been severely criticized - pilloried in fact - and if the person uttering such foolishness had been from the USA - probably would have been fired immediately from whatever position he/she might have held, particularly if it had been a government position.

As for Vladimir Putin’s position on the matter of the abusive NSA revelations (hardly commenting on E Snowden) he declared quite recently that he was quite envious of the fact that Obama actually can get away with behaving like a dictator - acting with impunity. That he can get away with such things simply by making a ‘declarational edict’ and by voicing dictatorial commands to the ‘people’ in a manner reminiscent of the Stalin era.

He also referred to the fact(s) that the NSA was on full throttle regarding the trampling of the US constitution, and of the covert abuse of the ‘rights’ of their own citizens. He went on to say that in Russia “THERE’S A CONSTITUTION IN PLACE” and we must abide by it, and we must be wary of the will of our people. As president I could never have gotten away with such abusive behavior even though there were times when I would like to have done some of the things that president Obama is capable of doing and of getting away with it.”

Now is it not an amazing thing that we Americans stand in such low esteem in the eyes of our former adversary, Russia, and that V Putin now is in such a political position of power (in the eyes of the world) as to be able to dress down the president of the United States in public - not only the president, but the entire administration. I never in my entire life would have believed that such a thing would occur. The shame is on the USA I suppose, and its an awful embarrassment that “We The People” must bear the brunt of a runaway president.

edit on 16-1-2014 by ExoPatriotico because: error

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ExoPatriotico

Yes I like you comment that going to Russia would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago

Putin's comments about Obama are essentially nonsense IMO - he may have "executive orders" available Putin has a tame Duma (parliament) so he can make actual laws as he sees fit without limit - there are actually limits to EO's, despite what many on here may think!!

Obama wuill be out of office in a couple of years, and while I'm pretty sure Putin wants to be the next Божию Милостию, Император и Самодержец Всероссийский (By Grace of God Emperor and Autocrat all the Russians - which of course includes Ukraine, Belorus, etc)

But all that probably belongs in another thread - sorry for hijacking my own

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by ExoPatriotico

Yes I like you comment that going to Russia would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago

Putin's comments about Obama are essentially nonsense IMO - he may have "executive orders" available Putin has a tame Duma (parliament) so he can make actual laws as he sees fit without limit - there are actually limits to EO's, despite what many on here may think!!

Obama wuill be out of office in a couple of years, and while I'm pretty sure Putin wants to be the next Божию Милостию, Император и Самодержец Всероссийский (By Grace of God Emperor and Autocrat all the Russians - which of course includes Ukraine, Belorus, etc)

But all that probably belongs in another thread - sorry for hijacking my own

I am 'substantively' in agreement with you there - But please know that one of the main points I was trying to make was that Putin was actually saying such things, mostly because of such a "reversal of fortune" as has occurred between the two superpowers with Putin coming out on top, and also looking as though he's the true "leader of the free world" rather than Obama.
edit on 16-1-2014 by ExoPatriotico because: error

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

monkofmimir
No one in their right mind would buy us made tech especially communications unless they had the resources to analyze ever compolent first or they didn't care if there were a bunch of nsa agents getting their jollies from listening.

I would agree with your assessment. Any country buying foreign equipment, regardless what it is, would be fully examining every component to make sure everything is on the up and up.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
One more item to add to the list of why it's a good idea for foreign nations to avoid American technology.

Atleast the NSA's war against American companies is being successful

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

A short report - but very much to the point - US communication technology cannot be trusted to be secure.

compare this with the brough-ha regarding Chinese firm Huwaei being locked out of US & other western markets a year or 2 ago and the irony is pretty savage!!

Of course one would expect the Russians to have similar technology ........they just haven't been caught yet!!

Of course the Russians and Chinese may have similar spyware in the pipelines, however the most concerning issue involved with the NSA spyware is their ability access every computer console on the planet.

How does one persuade a president to tailor make a Bill which gives Monsanto absolute zero accountability?

How does one manipulate world stock markets?

How does one influence foreign governments like Australia to buy 30 crappy F-35 aircraft for $100B+, and they still haven't delivered them.

How does one destabilise foreign economies time and time again, while cowardly hiding behind computers, and never ever get caught,
while shifting the blame to a fall-guy regime such as (input the name of any middle eastern country here)

The answer to all these questions is simple.
Access the computers of every politician in the world, learn their secrets and apply pressure.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Trubeeleever

Of course the Russians and Chinese may have similar spyware in the pipelines, however the most concerning issue involved with the NSA spyware is their ability access every computer console on the planet.

AFAIK no one has suggested they can do that. The latest report was that they can access about 100,000 computers fitted with specific hardware - let's try to stick with what is known shall we - at least if we're going to present it as factual!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Trubeeleever

How does one persuade a president to tailor make a Bill which gives Monsanto absolute zero accountability?

How does one manipulate world stock markets?

How does one influence foreign governments like Australia to buy 30 crappy F-35 aircraft for $100B+, and they still haven't delivered them.

How does one destabilise foreign economies time and time again, while cowardly hiding behind computers, and never ever get caught,
while shifting the blame to a fall-guy regime such as (input the name of any middle eastern country here)

The answer to all these questions is simple.
Access the computers of every politician in the world, learn their secrets and apply pressure.

I think there's one VERY important distinction when considering spying capabilities. Every nation spies on the others, it's actually a good thing to an extent as it provides assurances that deals are being honored.

I have no problem with the US government spying on Angela Merkel, or Ayatollah Khamenei, or Putin, I fully expect us to do it as a matter of responsibility. In turn, I expect them to be spying on our congress and on Obama, Kerry, and others, fair is fair afterall.

On the other hand, I have a very big problem with those spying capabilities being turned against you, me, Jakob Applebaum, Art Bell, or any other regular citizen of a country. There is no justification for that.

top topics

join