It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happening now and I never even realised

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
They sent me a magic box which I should plug in to my modem, clip another transmitter onto my electricity box then I can turn aappliances on and off when I am out... great just what I wanted, the wife texting me at work asking me to put the kettle on! Not that she has... but you get the point I dont want to control appliances when I am out. Useless so what is the reason?
seen a guy comment that oz has excess electricity due to solar panels, congratulations but who is paying for the sunshine to be turned into excess electricity? Does the excess become waste? I dont know.
Pretty sure I remember on the Euro news that Spain also has produced too much and it must be paid for!
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company, something I personally dont understand, had a chat with a guy who goes around all day removing rigged meters and replacing them. That is his job and all he does, constantly.. looks like alot of people are ahead of the game.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Pretty sure you scan the barcode on the fridge

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

Now the smart meter might not know its an electric heater but the Power Company will.

So you have just admitted this smart meter isn't smart at all and could not shut anything down with that line.
You have no clue what you are talking about...

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

I have a 5 year old laptop, I plug my phone in by usb, it I dentifies the phone and downloads the program to run it.

Yes USB technology has been around for ages is this new to you?

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

So with a smart meter and each new appliance to have a smart chip commonsense tells you that the chips will be more advanced than my 5 year old computer.

Yes true but I doubt the appliance companies would do this as they like wear and tear, as it makes people come back for fridges.

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

Now a smart meter with wifi is no different than a laptop and the chips in the appliances are no different than the one in my wifi printer.

Obviously, but your default gateway isn't to the smart meter its to the internet. meaning no data can be sent from fridge to smart meter..
If this occurred you could block it in your modem settings.

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

Now I can connect with my printer, and give it all sorts of commands.

You don't believe that with the latest tech installed in homes by power companies wont do the same.

Nope as you said the smart meter isn't that smart the power companies gotta do the work..

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

In my house which is wifi, my laptop picks up my PS3, my PS3 picks up my laptop by name and can show me files, both pick up my wifes smart tv, the printer picks up the ps3, the smart tv picks up the phone the printer the ps3 and the laptop.

So how would it be impossible for a utility company to install a smart meter which is just a small computer, using wirless tech pick up the chips in the appliances.

Because you are connected to a wifi router you are seeing these devices on your network, in your router settings you can control what can talk to what.

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

I just thought about it now, if I can do it with 5 year old tech, then they can do the same.

They are putting a computer in your home just like my laptop, every appliance will have a chip just like my ps3.

So thats how they will no its a fridge or a phone, and not only that they might be able read all the info on your phone just as my laptop does with my ps3.

Appliance companies won't comply with this as they want their customers using their products till the day it dies and it won't die being switched off will it.

Your ps3 didn't detect the network you had to enter the settings... router password router name, dns settings ect...
Same with your phone...

If companies didn't do this...
wait for it this will shock you...

Your so called smart chips would be connecting to your next-door neighbors smart meters kinda puts a hole into your theory...
Doesn't this horrify you...
edit on 24/1/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yes, the new ones (most called ESL, if not LED) are capacitive, also the newer fluorescent tube ones have electronic control gear, those are also capacitive now, in the past they were more inductive. However, there are compensation racks available that try to nullify the effects of capacitive and inductive currents (called "blind currents" because those currents are not able to do work). Some bigger users in the industry or even office buildings where you have huge capacitive loads are forced to use those compensation systems. Those blind currents have to be transfered, too even if they do no work, so they try to avoid this so they do not have to use bigger cables and some more deeper reasons.

You could use such a rack to compensate in both directions so your smart meter would have no chance. But those are not cheap and have to be fitted to your needs.

I hope I explained it in a way you can understand, I´m a little bit humble when it comes to explaining things in a foreign language.
edit on 24-1-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Regarding that the wifi did not pick up my ps3 and I had to put in my router detail you could be right as I remember putting in the router password.

But and its a big but, when my BB goes down I just log onto any bb that does not need a password, use the Asda one.

Now using this on my Ps3 I still pickup my laptop by name so explain that please.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

So you have just admitted this smart meter isn't smart at all and could not shut anything down with that line.

Well if they are ot that smart what are the power companies paying £12 billion for, which we will end up paying for.

There is a lot of unanswered questions regarding these meters thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

verschickter

Yes, the new ones (most called ESL, if not LED) are capacitive, also the newer fluorescent tube ones have electronic control gear, those are also capacitive now, in the past they were more inductive. However, there are compensation racks available that try to nullify the effects of capacitive and inductive currents (called "blind currents" because those currents are not able to do work). Some bigger users in the industry or even office buildings where you have huge capacitive loads are forced to use those compensation systems. Those blind currents have to be transfered, too even if they do no work, so they try to avoid this so they do not have to use bigger cables and some more deeper reasons.

You could use such a rack to compensate in both directions so your smart meter would have no chance. But those are not cheap and have to be fitted to your needs.

I hope I explained it in a way you can understand, I´m a little bit humble when it comes to explaining things in a foreign language.
edit on 24-1-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

could we make a DIY rack?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

Regarding that the wifi did not pick up my ps3 and I had to put in my router detail you could be right as I remember putting in the router password.

But and its a big but, when my BB goes down I just log onto any bb that does not need a password, use the Asda one.

Now using this on my Ps3 I still pickup my laptop by name so explain that please.

because your laptop is a wifi device

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have been doing abit of an energy saving experiment for one year now (on and off).

I live in a two bedroom apartment with neighbours up stairs and have neighbours attached next door,

I have insulated the double glazing with heavy oak blinds in the rear of my property and quadruple curtains at the front windows also double glazed,

I fitted an extra oak internal door as double type insulation to prevent drafts from the main entrance front door.

As well as insulated flooring I think I have taken this as far as I can,

I started to leave the heating on all day with the main boiler set at minimum and the thermostat set between 21/23 mainly at the weekends when every one is home.

My cooker is run of Propane gas so not an issue regarding bills.

Eventually after a certain time had elapsed I had the heating on full time all during the winter months, What I discovered was the internal walls kept a certain amount off heat in them (similar to thermal bricks) and off course the gas bills went up (quit a bit).

My bills went from £50 a month to average out at approx. £72 a month over a year, Now I pay by direct debit saving me 10% on my gross bill.
There where times when I had to have the thermostat at 25/30 but not to often,

All this is to prepare when we go into semi retirement I have an older pension set aside purely for the purpose off paying gas bills in the future.

The thing is (as most members my age) will appreciate is the heating off your home over everything else like food water washing and other things we take for granted when in a full time reasonably paid job.

Keeping ourselves warm in the winter is the biggest priority (imo) in the future as the energy supplier company's have us over the proverbial barrel so to speak.

Next steep is to fit an internal or external wood burner for really cold days as the weather is dipping ever colder here in the northern part off Europe.

Hope im not to much off topic OP, But thought this is a problem that is the biggest threat/killer (?) for Seniors here in Ireland.

Thank you for listening

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

1. You might have your Plug N Play enabled on your router

2. you have your workgroup setup on your ps3 and laptop which would be "MSHOME" or "WORKGROUP"

But I will go for #1.. you can disable this feature, so nothing to worry about..

The last line you are talking about broadband right??
Something along the line of when your broadband goes down you log into any broadband that does not need a password??
depending on what your ISP wan settings are.
Some ISP just let the modem connect with out passwords, this is because the line is authorized on the port at the exchange.

example.
My dad is on the same ISP as me for ADSL and I can not use his account at my house.

edit on 28/1/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

pavmas
reply to post by amraks

Well if they are ot that smart what are the power companies paying £12 billion for, which we will end up paying for.

There is a lot of unanswered questions regarding these meters thats for sure.

Because they know they will make it back using smart meters.
1. no staff that check your meter. Big saving wonder how much that costs each billing cycle.
2. No guessing a unreadable meter anymore due to a OH&S hazard.

All this smart meter is going to do for you is report your bill back to them for free with out having lots of staff.

edit on 28/1/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

No, simply ask your energy company to give you one. Tell them you want to flip the switch on you tesla coils and plan to build a gauß gun with head size condensators, that should cover both capacitive and inductive currents so they give you a system that does the job.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
In my opinion smart meters/appliances can do a lot to help us all reduce our energy footprint. We've all forgotten appliances on, and sure one light left on overnight isn't a big deal, but when 1,000,000 lights are left on overnight across a country it adds up to significant use of resources. The best way to keep our energy prices from soaring in the future is to reduce what we use now.

While it seems like many people are getting much higher bills after their smart meters are installed, the concept in itself seems like an idea that will save a ton of energy across the globe. That being said, if I had a reliable off-grid system I'd probably wanna stick with that

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientpast

www.eskom.co.za...
here is the type of thing I was on about the guy told me they could just cut off your power well here is the proof, how your meter has a trip in it and once you use your allocation then you can put it back on but it will cost you more, so only run a light or something.

This is in South africa but I was told this was the plan, to be in control and they can switch you off if they think you use3 to much, then they get into allocating after this, perhaps a worker will get more allocation than an OAP or unemployed person.

These smart meters will control our lives

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join