It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Florida...Well what can I say..Just an unbelievable place. The biggest place i have ever seen said Rebecca as she shut the door of the van. I wanna live here so i can have a top tan!. We laughed as we traveled back to the hotel. We got back and sat round the swimming pool. Drinking beer and singing songs. It was the last night of our holidays before we travelled back to Manchester England. And a perfect one at that.

The next morning we all awoke groggy and in desperate need of "Another 5 mins" of sleep. There were 6 of us altogether. All friends for a while. Rebecca (Bex) was a true friend. I had known her since we were kids. We hung out a lot. She always did her best to keep me on the right track, Which was not always easy as let's just say, I could be a real handful. The truth was i lost my father at 17 and went off the rails. She always gently held my hand and for for some reason I always listened to her. The only person in the world I did listen to. I also had respect for her, And despite her being pretty I thought of her more as a sister (unlike all other pretty women back then). We had breakfast, I remember putting bacon in one of the guys shoes lol. He knew it was me straight away. Bex turned to me and said those words that I can hear to this day. "If i died today, I couldn't care less. This is the best 2 weeks of my life". I just said I know what you mean. This place is unreal. We put the bags in the van and off we went heading for the airport. The heat was searing. I had no top on as usual. Bex was sat next to me with her head on my shoulder, Eyes closed. We were sat in the back as we were not old enough to drive the van over there due to insurance. There was a loud Bang, And the van started to jolt from side to side... "WTF was that?" I blurted out...The next thing the wheel dug into the tarmac and we were flipping over. I remember hitting my head on the glass window and it smashing. I opened my eyes and could just see the sun beating down on me. I felt something warm trickling down my face. I got up quick and fell back down wondering where I was, And what the hell just happened??...It was soon obvious to me that we had crashed big time. This was no joke, I could see a big scrape mark on the tarmac and got up and followed it. How come I was outside and I could not see the van?. I was literally red with my own blood. I felt my head there was a opened wound I remember thinking "This ain't happening, It's a dream" I saw the back of the van so I went to the side and pulled one of the guys out. He was dazed but looked ok. Those screams i heard in general from everyone were haunting, I never want to hear that again. I looked for Bex. The van had stopped in the woods at the side of the freeway and I could not see properly. I climbed in the van and saw her...She was not moving, Her eyes were flickering. I held her gently but I was sleepy. I could tell with the position she was in, That she was seriously injured. I remember holding her and hearing a helicopter. Then American voices. It was just like you see on the films, I could not see very clear and everything sounded slowed down. Something sharp went in my leg then that was it...I was gone...I awoke in hospital....It don't really matter what happened next. All I know is six of us went on holiday and only 5 came home alive....Unfortunately Rebecca did not make it. She died aged 23. The same age as me. A long time has passed since then. I'm 43 now. A bit wiser but still lost come to think of it. I'm older now and that day changed me. From then on I did not put myself first anymore or take people for granted. It's not the end of the world if something goes wrong (though it feels like it at times)...When something happens I often think, I wonder what she would do?.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

This touched my heart. It is devastating when you think you have a lifetime left, and in a few moments, you are showed how wrong you were. Thanks for sharing that. My eyes started to water at the end...quit making me cry!!! lol. Now I gotta go hug my husband and kid.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Hi blend. Thanks for stopping by. Yes you never know what's going to happen. I sure did not expect that one. The feeling I had for a long time afterwards was just unexplainable. A bit dark this one!...Sorry!!. I promise the next one will be brighter

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Hey my sweet hearted friend. I'm glad you shared your beautiful story that ended so tragically. I feel everything happens for a reason... She was too young to leave this earth, but it seems it was her time to move on. And it sure wasn't your time to go...
We all suffer in this life in different ways. My heart and my love goes out to you my friend.. xx

Peace and love and hugs to you from me ... Always...
-nat

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Hello natalia. Yes everything's done for a reason. It's trying to figure out those reasons what's the hard part. I'm sure glad you dropped by to read it. Thanks my friend x

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Nicely done, I enjoyed it thoroughly, well written, though I must say this marks the first time I have seen txtspeak used in fiction but overall I think it worked; adding a bit of authenticity to the young adult protagonist, especially since you chose to present your tale in first person perspective.

I was not expecting the conclusion though, fairly brilliant.

My only gripe is this: who in their right mind would waste bacon like that?

As am aside, only a tourist could love Florida that much. I should know I'm there right now.

S&F

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

Hi Cagliostro, Thanks for dropping in and reading. Unfortunately it's a true story which happened to me. And your right about the bacon. There's no way it would avoid going in my mouth these days!...

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Oh wow, that really got me. Those kinds of losses can really stick with a person. Unexpected and undeserved! I am glad to hear how you were able to allow it to change your behavior and thinking. Thinking about how a lost loved one might respond to a situation is something I do as well. When I think about my lost grand daughter I think about how she would have loved to run and play. When I get down because of the world I try to see it's beauty through her eyes. Thank you for sharing Doc. All my best thoughts and prayers to you my friend. I have added you to my bucket list. I would love to visit England a buy you a pint or two or more.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Hi greyeagle. Yes it was sure a bolt out of the blue. It's a shame that we have to lose people dear to us like this. And your right we have to look at the beauty through there eyes. Thanks for the prayers as they are much appreciated. And I would welcome you with open arms if you ever came to England...The beer would be on me
...And when I eventually return to America you will be on my bucket list to .Take care my friend

new topics

top topics

join