It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save your life and "ICE" Your phone...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I had no idea this idea was several years in the making?
This week was the first time I ever heard about it, not that I watch much TV.
I guess this one of those deals we all need to talk about more and get the word out.

And thanks for the tip about the App found a free one on Google Play for my G4 and the wife's droid.
And yes my 9yo daughter is already bugging me about needing her own phone. Big Sighs-----

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

HardCorps
And yes my 9yo daughter is already bugging me about needing her own phone. Big Sighs-----

Tell her if she can pay for it she can get it, if not sucks to be her..

And that should be end of story.. if the kid cant pay for thier own stupid things they do not need there is no need to have a phone.. Exp at 9 yrs old.. thats kinda crazy..

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

ThichHeaded

HardCorps

Exp at 9 yrs old.. thats kinda crazy..

I thought so too.
But a few of her little friends do have them--- given to them for safety reasons.
you know, Both parents work, latchkey kids walking home by themselves. Well maybe not walk. When I pick up my daughter's at school I usably end up with a small heard of laughing giggly gossipy little girls all trying to crowd into my truck.

FYI girls normally travel in groups just like Paraná or barracuda's

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Remember though, just because everyone else is jumping off a bridge doesn't mean its the best thing in the world..

Having a phone for a kid is kinda distracting to them, and just look around you.. everyone who owns a phone would rather have their face in a phone than talk to someone.. So a phone for a kid that age I don't think is good because they will think that txting into a screen is more awesome than getting to know someone...

I have a soon to be 2 yr told girl.. I will set the same rules for her as I am telling you.. so its not like I am telling you to do this without doing the same.. I was brought up if i couldn't get it then i didn't need it.. But i was able to get a paper route to get money or something to pay for things i wanted... which is hard today so tell her to go cut grass..

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
As already stated you should have contacts and list of medical information on PAPER in your wallet/purse. Your in the hospital what makes you think your phone faired any better?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I can foresee bad outcomes with the APP as well. I have in my wallet (within my purse);

InCase Of Emergency; contact (________)
(________)
Medications I take; ____________________________________________-long list.
Allergies;________________________.
My Dr/s.(names & ph.#'s) _______________ ___________________.
And of course my own identity, SS#, and other random info.

Wouldn't want to put all of that on my phone, even though I could potentially lose my purse too, but in 53 yrs that only happened once-when I was 14 or 15 and on vacation.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure now days they can access all this emergency information through your Driver's License of Photo Identification Card #. I think I gave an emergency contact number and allergies to meds to the DMV when I got mine, maybe not..., I'm not 100% positive.

I don't own a cell phone, but if I did, this sounds like a good idea. As long as it cannot be abused. I'm just paranoid that cell phones can be compromised no matter what these days.

Either way I have emergency contacts on paper in my wallet.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I had no idea you can access ICE numbers without having to unlock your cell phone.

My 83 year old mother taped my phone number to the outside of her cell. The two times she lost it (in ten years), it was always returned by a person calling the number. Plus if her phone ever went dead, the number would still be available.

Doesn't look that cool but it's the best way to have the number available.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

graceunderpressure
I'm curious why you wouldn't just add an "ICE info." category to your contact list and enter the meds, allergies, etc. information, there? Wouldn't that eliminate the step of calling Aunt Betty in a time-sensitive situation?

A Star for your wonderful avatar. Brilliant.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I have an ICE app on my phone that I use in combination with "widget locker." It allows me to keep a button going directly to my ICE info without having to unlock my phone. Inside, I have contact numbers for relatives, doctors, allergies, food intolerances, diet, and so forth. The app is also password protected so that no one can alter my information but me.

I recommend this rather than keeping info inside of the phone where it would need to be unlocked before being viewed. Thankfully I haven't needed to use it yet.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
1st Responder here. If someone gets your phone...they can text ICE DAD with a text saying "Hey honey? What our bank acct PIN number? I forgot it". You could be wiped out.

2nd. Is never. NEVER...put your home address into your GPS. If somene steal it or your car, youre apt to get home and find it cleaned out. Always enter a location NEAR your home ie; the store, gas station etc. Never your home address.

Ok, #1 only holds true if "honey/dad" is stupid. He should be assuming something isn't right if his (daughterwife?) Can't remember the bank PIN. That's even assuming he's among the few people who don't just automatically know that you don't text PINs, etc.

#2 is good advice, for those who keep garage door openers in their car, and are concerned about the valuables in their garage which are tempting enough for a thief to go after knowing there's a good chance the police will be at the home shortly upon the reporting of the vehicle's theft, and upon arrival, the homeowner will disable the garage door opener.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Wow I thought we were the only ones doing this.

We also use find iphone app which most people use for lost or stolen phones but can be used to track a loved on. Would be nice if this could pin point within feet of a location.

ICE helps you when you can't help yourself! ICE locates your position address and helps you to call an emergency number or a number that you set, send an sms to the same number, or send an email with your address position to an email address. In addition it allows emergency personnel to know your medical data.ICE app link

Another really good ideas is making an ICE ID and using it as your wallpaper. And specially your lock screen wallpaper if you lock your phone. I have been using one from Acedotx with their ICE 123 app.
Ice 123 review n app

A few misc apps that may help are flash light, first aid, strobes and sirens. Some strobe light apps can be customized to speed and brightness which can be great to blind someone if ever attacked at night. I remember 9-11 when they found people in the debris due to the o2 censors on the firefighters back packs kept chirping. I'm sure a simple app could be used to do that maybe even a power saving mode should be configured in case of emergency.

I hope this helps some of you who haven't set up ICE on their phones yet.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
old my family ICED my nans landline in the 90's on speed dial...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Started in the USA about 4 years ago. I have used it for like 3 years...
Thought everyone knew this...........

edit on 18-1-2014 by DogMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Johnathanandheather

Wow I thought we were the only ones doing this.

We also use find iphone app which most people use for lost or stolen phones but can be used to track a loved on. Would be nice if this could pin point within feet of a location.

ICE helps you when you can't help yourself! ICE locates your position address and helps you to call an emergency number or a number that you set, send an sms to the same number, or send an email with your address position to an email address. In addition it allows emergency personnel to know your medical data.ICE app link

Another really good ideas is making an ICE ID and using it as your wallpaper. And specially your lock screen wallpaper if you lock your phone. I have been using one from Acedotx with their ICE 123 app.
Ice 123 review n app

A few misc apps that may help are flash light, first aid, strobes and sirens. Some strobe light apps can be customized to speed and brightness which can be great to blind someone if ever attacked at night. I remember 9-11 when they found people in the debris due to the o2 censors on the firefighters back packs kept chirping. I'm sure a simple app could be used to do that maybe even a power saving mode should be configured in case of emergency.

I hope this helps some of you who haven't set up ICE on their phones yet.

You're the best! I've now edited my "widget locker" to include apps for flash light (which includes strobe), siren, first aid, and a survival guide app. Should have fast access to them without needing to unlock now.

Also thanksto this thread, I looked into the groups option in my contacts to see that I can indeed mark them as ICE. So in case someone somehow misses the bright red ICE button in the middle of the screen, they can still find emergency contacts quickly.

Thank you everybody!

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadesOfGreen

glad we could help...
and that's the reason I posted this thread, to get the word out.
as I said I didn't hear about this until last week yet it's been around for 4 years now...

this ICE thing is something we should be talking about, sharing on our blogs and Facebook posts

top topics

<< 1   >>

join