It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New vehicle for Marines to challenge humvee soon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
It looks like USMC will soon enjoy new tactical vehicle similar to humvee - Shadow RST-V. The vehicle is now undergoing last tests.
It will be the first hybrid electric tactical vehicle - it incorporates a hybrid electric engine based on front mounted turbocharged, inter-cooled common rail direct injection diesel engine, type 2.5 litre DI-4V rated at 114kW. The diesel engine powers a 110kW Magnet Motors permanent magnet generator that drives four 50kW Magnet Motors permanent magnetic hub motors, mounted one in each of the Shadow's four wheel hubs.

The advantages of this solution are clear - ability to run 20 miles on batteries only - that means it cannot by find by IR sensors and in case of damage of diesel it is able to get to the safety. Also it's fuel economy is superior to the humvee - it has only half of it's fuel consumption.
The stored power could be also used for various other purposes - for example energy weapons (lasers, microwaves).

Another features :
- fitted with a pneumatic suspension. It's dimensions can be reduced by allowing the tyres to be pulled in (from 79in footprint to 62in) and the height can be dropped so the base of the vehicle is 0.1m off the ground.
That means it will be transportable internaly by Osprey or other heavy helicopter. (humvee is not transportable by Osprey)

- maximum road speed of 112km per hour. The vehicle has a capacity of 95 litres of fuel and an unrefuelled range of 758km at a speed of 50km per hour. On battery power alone the vehicle's range is 32km.

- a 3m extending mast equipped with a suite of electro-optical sensors is fitted to the Shadow, including a dual field of view day and thermal imaging sensor, operating at 3 to 5 microns wavelength, as well as a Northrop Grumman Lightweight Laser Designator and Ranger (LLDR).

- 7.62mm, 12.7mm machine gun, 40mm grenade launcher, Objective Crew Served Weapon (OCSW), Javelin or TOW anti-tank missile systems can be mounted on the roof hatch. The Shadow can be fitted with a defensive aids suite including radar and laser warning receivers, and missile warners.

- it may be used for light strike duties, as a battlefield ambulance, for air defence, logistics, as a personnel carrier or as anti-armour and a mortar weapons carrier.

link

[edit on 21-11-2004 by longbow]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Nice,but the hummer isn't very good now anyway,The marines prefer the land rover anyway
I hope this new jeep will give the marines some beef.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
All I can say is WOW - and they stole the idea of electric drive stealth against IR from my mil sci-fi

Well I'm sure people have thought of that before I wrote it, but it's an EXCELLENT idea. Not to mention the fact that electric drive makes NO heat whatsoever it's almost absolutely silent. It's silent enough that combined with the speed of the vehicle the enemy won't hear you until it's too late.

HUMVEE is also not transportable by the main Marine Corps workhorse the CH53 and the MEUs carry Willy's Jeeps for this very reason.

Excellent vehicle it looks like.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What do you mean the Humvee isn't very good, the Humvee is one of the best military vehicles ever made; the problem is not enough of the things are armoured the way they should be.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
And the Marine Corps does not use Jeeps anymore.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Ive seen that thing before it even has pneumatic suspension in it so you can slam it to the ground for easier transport. The thing looks pretty nice I hope they make a civ. version like they did with the H1.

I agree with Broadsword2004 on the Humvee if you have seen a up armoured version with a mini-gun mounted on it
It dont get much better then that, well maybe the armoured ones with the automated gun turret are better.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword2004

Last time I saw Marines using Willy's was in 1994, when the 31st MEU was using them. They fit inside CH-53s, and hummers do not. So, I don't know if they have them anymore, but they did then for sure.

Hummers are good vehicles, but there's always room for improvement. This new vehicle looks to make those improvements. Let's hope it runs as good as it looks.

Hummers are tough, granted. They are also loud, accelerate like a turtle, and stink. It's been around since like mid 80s. Time to change.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by taibunsuu]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here is some links I found about the Shadow RST-V

armytechnology.com

uqm.com

[edit on 22-11-2004 by blue cell]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
here is some pics I found of the Shadow RST-V

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Originally posted by Broadsword2004

Last time I saw Marines using Willy's was in 1994, when the 31st MEU was using them. They fit inside CH-53s, and hummers do not. So, I don't know if they have them anymore, but they did then for sure.

Hummers are good vehicles, but there's always room for improvement. This new vehicle looks to make those improvements. Let's hope it runs as good as it looks.

Hummers are tough, granted. They are also loud, accelerate like a turtle, and stink. It's been around since like mid 80s. Time to change.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by taibunsuu]

And the majority of them have the floors beat right out.. Its good to see that they have something that is more versatile, and less suseptible to being targeted by something like a stinger.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
How do the batteries recharge? is it like the hybrids we have that use brake friction? Anyway, the Shadow looks like it could kick some serious humvee a$$.

[edit on 24-12-2004 by autopilot]

new topics

top topics

join