It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would love to learn about american familys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Hi there, hope this is in the right place. This is my first try at a thread so hope it goes well. I ask for forgiveness with my awful grammar, french is my mother tongue.

I love to follow world events, the US is such an interesting subject to read about, but i am sadened by the amount of media i can watch, but i cant understand whats up or down.

I will share some info and would love if people dont mind to share the same or close too.

Im divorced, have 2 lovely daughters that live with there mom.

I consider miself middle class, i make close to 36k a year, heres where id like to learn a bit.

I live in Brithish Columbia,Canada a very expensive province to live in( minimum wage is 10.25), I pay about 12k in taxes of my checks every year, including government pention plan, various taxes that the government deems necesary.

I had to pay for a family of four, my ex was a stay at home mom, around 80 to 150 a month for the bc health card ( to use at the doctor). It went with how much money was made in the last tax year. On top with my work i had a choice to get extra insurance, to cover if i get injured and cant work abd also to lower cost of going to the eye doctor, dentist, chiro. That was 80 dollars a month. So i payed at the max 230 a month. Not much but pulling 2100 a month not easy with 4 people.

So my question if this makes any sense, what does a family in the US face in average to be comfortable, im sure it changes from state to state, but im kinda curious.

With this obamacare, the last budget fight, im trying to understand everyone position.

thanks for taking the time.

edit on 16-1-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
It takes a minimum wage part - time job, which qualifies a family for government subsidized housing, free medicaid health insurance, food stamps and a whole lot of other free services....including a free cell phone.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dukeofjive696969

Two incomes, that's pretty much it, or like ^ said, living off fellow tax payers.
My wife and I have a pretty decent combined income, if one of us lost a job however, the s would definitely hit the fan.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I think if you take your entire situation and placed it in US, that family will have more trouble getting by.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I make a good salary.
My wife is an RN but is spending time at home, home-schooling our youngest son.

Our health insurance is paid through my place of work. It is a great plan.

We live modestly. Still shop at thrift stores. Occasionally eat at good restaurants. We read, spend time together. We don't do "high dollar" activities.

We go fishing. Play simple games. Enjoy the outdoors when we can.

I write as a hobby. I'm trying to encourage my young son to do the same.

If you were to meet us on the street, we'd be much like I am on this site.

We laugh.
Have opinions.
We try to remember to remain humble. (failing sometimes)
We believe in each other.
We take faith in ourselves, our abilities, our religion.
We're kind. (my wife is actually much nicer than me)

We're average.

Probably boring to many.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The situation here varies widely depending on state. Here in New Mexico there are the very rich, very poor and very few in between. I work for a branch of the government which means that I am not paid very well, but have better than average benefits. I have much more paid time off than most, my tools are provided for me. Healthcare insurance for my family of 4 through my government employer would cost me out of pocket, close to $500/month. That is almost as much as mortgage. I do not have health insurance for that reason. I do not recieve any subsidies or financial assistance. Our grocery bill averages 400/month. Fuel for our vehicles is about 200/month, heating and electricity about 100/month. Because of who I work for, I do not qualify for the subsidies to offset the cost of heathcare. My wife makes very little and could qualify if we were to get a legal seperation. We had a serious discussion about that. At least that way she and my children would be covered. I have friends that are going that route, we decided not to. We will stick this out as a family and deal with whatever comes along as best we can. In the private sector of my field, techs are getting paid anywhere from $23-35/hr. Their government counterparts such as myself make about half of that. There are no private sector jobs in my field available at this time, in case you were wondering.
edit on 16-1-2014 by borracho because: Spelling and grammer

edit on 16-1-2014 by borracho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My partner and I live minimally. Combined income $1300/$1400 a month and we live in New England. We found a gem in a not so gem-like neighborhood for $525/M 1bedroom. Gas runs us about $300 a month because of our commutes, and we receive food stamps at $400/M which takes care of grocery store food. If we eat out that's obviously out of our own pockets. Car is paid off and insurance is taken care of by a relative (we're still young and getting on our feet so). We scurry around tax things usually working under the table/independent contractor/wood working. No college goers here

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

My husband and I both work...if one of us lost our job we would have a hard time making ends meet. We live very simply, use coupons for groceries and gas, we maybe dine out once a month, when we have vacation time we spend it at home relaxing. Living comfortably probably means different things to different people. For me it means being able to pay our bills without worrying every month.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys, i helps to understand the anger of the american people, im sure there alot of similarities with us canadiens, heres hoping you guys get the country you deserve.

top topics

join